|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Interlude.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Beckett ask the audience to remember about Christmas mass?
(a) The hope and peace it offers.
(b) Its meaning and mystery.
(c) The love of God.
(d) Its sadness and greatness.
2. Beckett asks the congregation to think about the meaning of what word?
3. How does Beckett close his sermon?
(a) In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.
(b) Peace on earth, and goodwill toward men.
(c) God bless us, every one.
(d) In Christ's name.
4. Who was NOT mentioned in Beckett's sermon?
(a) The disciples.
(b) St. Stephen.
(c) The Holy Innocents.
(d) Shepards of bethlehem.
5. Who are the first two characters who speak of "the wheel" on separate occasions?
(a) The First Priest and the Second Priest.
(b) The Chorus and Thomas Becket.
(c) The Third Priest and Thomas Becket.
(d) The First Priest and the First Tempter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ruler of England does the Second Priest refer to as "the stubborn King?"
2. What is the first action that the Second Priest wants to take to welcome the Archbishop back to Canterbury?
3. Who might be the least likely character to show up to Beckett's sermon?
4. What character(s) opens the play with the first monologue?
5. Defined by Beckett, who was the first martyr whose sacrifice is celebrated the day after Christmas?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)