|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Interlude.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the structure of the dialogue change during Becket's first temptation?
(a) All of the characters other than Beckett fall silent.
(b) The First Tempter speaks in verse.
(c) All of the characters speak in riddles.
(d) The play becomes one monologue.
2. What is another observation Beckett has about his approaching murder?
(a) He will be the first martyr of Canterbury.
(b) He may not be the last martyr.
(c) His murder will shock the world.
(d) His death will shame the King.
3. Fill in the blank: "I leave you to the pleasure of your __________, Which will have to be paid for at ______________."
(a) piety; reckoning.
(b) lies; the end.
(c) higher vices; higher prices.
(d) life; your strife.
4. Which Biblical story does Beckett mention?
(a) The angels appearing to the sheperds of Bethlehem on Christmas.
(b) Moses parting the Red Sea.
(c) The fall of Azrael the angel from Heaven.
(d) The Snake appearing to Eve in the Garden of Eden.
5. What does Becket claim is the "substance of our first act?"
(a) Temptation, and the life with temptation.
(b) God and his greatness.
(c) God and his mercy.
(d) Shadows, and the strife with shadows.
Short Answer Questions
1. What literary tool does T.S. Eliot use throughout the Interlude?
2. When will the First Tempter remember Becket?
3. What important message does the Messenger convey to the Priests?
4. What is not one of the ways the Chorus, the priests and the Tempters describe an unexpected death?
5. According to Beckett, who was the Lord speaking to when he said, "My peace I leave you, my peace I give unto you?"
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)