|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Interlude.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Beckett feel about martyrs?
(a) He is apathetic about them.
(b) He admires them.
(c) He is confused by them.
(d) He fears them.
2. What does Beckett ask the audience to remember about Christmas mass?
(a) The love of God.
(b) The hope and peace it offers.
(c) Its sadness and greatness.
(d) Its meaning and mystery.
3. According to Beckett, what is one way you cannot define a martyr?
(a) A man given peace by God.
(b) An instrument of God.
(c) A Christian killed because he is a Christian.
(d) Someone killed for the glory of God.
4. What does Becket claim is the "substance of our first act?"
(a) Shadows, and the strife with shadows.
(b) God and his mercy.
(c) God and his greatness.
(d) Temptation, and the life with temptation.
5. Finish the thought of the First Tempter: "A man will often love what he ______."
Short Answer Questions
1. What character(s) opens the play with the first monologue?
2. What important message does the Messenger convey to the Priests?
3. What literary tool does T.S. Eliot use throughout the Interlude?
4. What does the First Priest compare the women of Canterbury to?
5. In Part One, where does the action of the play take place?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)