|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Interlude.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Messenger call the relationship between the King and the Archbishop?
(a) A violent affair.
(b) A peaceful affair.
(c) A patched-up affair.
(d) A silly affair.
2. How does Thomas Beckett's thought end?: "If the Archbishop cannot trust the Throne/ He has good cause to trust none but _____________"
(a) God alone.
(b) Himself alone.
(c) The Pope alone.
(d) His people alone.
3. What ruler of England does the Second Priest refer to as "the stubborn King?"
(a) James I.
(b) Edward III.
(c) Henry II.
(d) Richard I.
4. Fill in the blank: "I leave you to the pleasure of your __________, Which will have to be paid for at ______________."
(a) piety; reckoning.
(b) life; your strife.
(c) lies; the end.
(d) higher vices; higher prices.
5. What does Beckett ask the audience to remember about Christmas mass?
(a) The love of God.
(b) The hope and peace it offers.
(c) Its sadness and greatness.
(d) Its meaning and mystery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the First Priest believe was Becket's character flaw that ultimately brought an end to his friendship with the King?
2. Beckett asks the congregation to think about the meaning of what word?
3. Who does Becket say saved him from the wrath of his enemies?
4. Knowing what you know about the situation Beckett is in and his character traits, what might be the most likely way to describe Beckett's state of being after his last speech to his flock?
5. Which specific Canterbury martyr does Beckett ask the congregation to remember?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)