|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who turns out to be Daisy Armstrong's former nurse?
2. What is found in the pocket of the conductor's uniform?
3. How did Miss Debenham react when the train was delayed in Syria?
4. What is the difference between the even numbered and the odd numbered compartments?
5. Why does Poirot have to have special permission to search the Count and Countess' luggage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Poirot think the outcome would have changed if the police had been involved?
2. What other thing did the Princess lie about to Poirot?
3. What discovery caused Poirot to link the handkerchief to the Countess?
4. Why does Bouc have suspicions about Foscarelli?
5. Which of Poirot's questions trips up Miss Debenham?
6. What was Miss Debenham's reaction when Poirot asked if she was upset about Ratchett's death?
7. How does the Princess try to explain the monogram on the handkerchief.
8. What is the true identity of the Countess Adrenyi?
9. What point does MacQueen reiterate when Poirot approaches him to conduct a search?
10. Where does Poirot find the missing uniform?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Two puzzling clues were the unknown conductor and the woman in the scarlet kimono. What was the purpose of these ruses? Would the use of these non-existent people have fooled the police? Who do you think posed as these people? Was it one or more persons? How did Poirot know where to find the discarded items of clothing?
Essay Topic 2
The culmination of the story is when Poirot solves the crime. One of the main aspects that assisted in solving the case was when Poirot connected the passengers to America even though several had denied ever leaving their native countries. How did Poirot come to this conclusion? Do you think the same theory would still be true in modern times? Explain. How do you think the Armstrongs became acquainted with the multi-national staff?
Essay Topic 3
MacQueen presented an odd manner when discussing Ratchett/Cassetti. At first MacQueen seemed pleased to have the job but eventually admits that he did not like Ratchett/Cassetti. MacQueen also states that he believes that Ratchett was an alias and that the man was on the run. Finally, MacQueen kept repeating the fact that Ratchett did not speak French but MacQueen did. Explain these behaviors and how they were detrimental to the murderers' plan.
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)