|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long had Masterman worked for Ratchett?
2. What is Mrs. Hubbard's native country?
3. What is the profession of the sheep woman?
4. Who committed suicide from grief?
5. What is the initial on the handkerchief?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the cause of death for Ratchett?
2. Where did the Count spend time during the Armstrong investigation?
3. How did MacQueen become Ratchett's secretary?
4. Why is Mrs. Hubbard nervous?
5. Who was last person to see Ratchett alive?
6. What is Miss Debenham's initial reaction to Poirot?
7. What is mysterious about the berth in which Ratchett is murdered?
8. How is Ratchett murdered?
9. What is Poirot's reaction to Ratchett?
10. What was Poirot's reply when MacQueen questioned his identification?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cassetti posed as Ratchett, a successful businessman, since he fled from America. Explain how it was possible for Ratchett to keep his true identity a secret for so long? Do you think MacQueen knew Ratchett's real identity when he accepted the job as secretary?
Essay Topic 2
MacQueen presented an odd manner when discussing Ratchett/Cassetti. At first MacQueen seemed pleased to have the job but eventually admits that he did not like Ratchett/Cassetti. MacQueen also states that he believes that Ratchett was an alias and that the man was on the run. Finally, MacQueen kept repeating the fact that Ratchett did not speak French but MacQueen did. Explain these behaviors and how they were detrimental to the murderers' plan.
Essay Topic 3
Two puzzling clues were the unknown conductor and the woman in the scarlet kimono. What was the purpose of these ruses? Would the use of these non-existent people have fooled the police? Who do you think posed as these people? Was it one or more persons? How did Poirot know where to find the discarded items of clothing?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)