|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What strange thing did Mrs. Hubbard see in her compartment?
2. What caused the spot on the Count's passport?
3. Who is Greta going to visit?
4. What crime did Cassetti commit?
5. What time does Poirot's train depart?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was unusual about the Count's passport?
2. Why was Ratchett's response considered to be strange?
3. What is Ratchett's purpose for wanting protection from Poirot?
4. What is Ratchett's reaction when he realizes that Poirot is now his neighbor?
5. What is mysterious about the berth in which Ratchett is murdered?
6. What is so odd about Miss Debenham's association with Colonel Arbuthnot?
7. What prompts the military officer to stay in Poirot's company at the train station?
8. What is Poirot's reaction to Ratchett?
9. Why does the train stop in Belgrade?
10. How did MacQueen become Ratchett's secretary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Poirot took an instant dislike to Ratchett saying that he did not like the man's face. Poirot also refused to take Ratchett's case saying that he didn't need the money enough to take a case he wasn't interested in pursuing regardless of the reward. Explain what Poirot meant by the initial comment about his dislike of Ratchett. Do you think the reaction was due to instinct, training or experience? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Early in the story, Ratchett told Poirot that he had enemies that might wish him harm. Ratchett never explained. How did Ratchett know that he might become a victim? What was the purpose of sending Ratchett the letter found on the train? Was it psychological revenge? State your opinions.
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between Colonel Arbuthnot and Miss Debenham was never fully disclosed. What do you think they were talking about when spotted in Syria? Why did the mention of the relationship upset Miss Debenham? What do you think constituted the relationship between the Colonel and Miss Debenham? Why?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)