|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these was not one of the clues at the crime scene?
2. What item did Greta Ohlsson borrow from Mrs. Hubbard?
3. Which passenger did not ring the bell during the night?
4. Where was Michel at the time of the murder?
5. What is the profession of the sheep woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mrs. Hubbard react to the handkerchief?
2. What did Dr. Constantine find odd about some of Ratchett's wounds?
3. What is Poirot's reaction to Ratchett?
4. Why did MacQueen go to see Ratchett that evening?
5. What is Ratchett's purpose for wanting protection from Poirot?
6. How did Ratchett respond when Pierre Michel answered the bell?
7. Why was Ratchett's response considered to be strange?
8. What item was found that backed up Mrs. Hubbard's story?
9. What is so odd about Miss Debenham's association with Colonel Arbuthnot?
10. What is mysterious about the berth in which Ratchett is murdered?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Poirot happen to be on the same train as the victim? Was it by accident or was it planned? How did Poirot react when he realized that Colonel Arbuthnot and Miss Debenham were also on the train? How might the case have been different if Poirot had been able to decipher the relationship between the Colonel and Miss Debenham?
Essay Topic 2
Early in the story, Ratchett told Poirot that he had enemies that might wish him harm. Ratchett never explained. How did Ratchett know that he might become a victim? What was the purpose of sending Ratchett the letter found on the train? Was it psychological revenge? State your opinions.
Essay Topic 3
Two puzzling clues were the unknown conductor and the woman in the scarlet kimono. What was the purpose of these ruses? Would the use of these non-existent people have fooled the police? Who do you think posed as these people? Was it one or more persons? How did Poirot know where to find the discarded items of clothing?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)