|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time was the crime supposedly committed?
2. Where does the train stop in the night?
3. What is the first name of detective Poirot?
4. When was the last time Masterman saw Ratchett?
5. Who said Cassetti deserved to die for what he did?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bouc describe Michel?
2. What was unusual about the Count's passport?
3. What is Poirot's reaction to Ratchett?
4. What prompts the military officer to stay in Poirot's company at the train station?
5. Why was Ratchett's response considered to be strange?
6. Why did MacQueen go to see Ratchett that evening?
7. What item was found that backed up Mrs. Hubbard's story?
8. What is so odd about Miss Debenham's association with Colonel Arbuthnot?
9. What unusual item was worn by the lady in the corridor?
10. Who was last person to see Ratchett alive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Hubbard is one character that exhibits the most erratic behavior while Miss Debenham always seems to be cold and without emotion. Compare and contrast the personalities of the two women. Which characteristics were real and which were contrived? How were they perceived by Poirot?
Essay Topic 2
At one point in the story, M. Bouc minimalizes the fact that there has been a murder. Instead, Bouc becomes more concerned with the fact that the murder happened on his company's train. Explain Bouc's thoughts and if the thoughts were realistic? How could the murder affect the Orient Express? Would it affect the reputation of the train or simply deter people for a short time? How might the murder affect Bouc's career?
Essay Topic 3
How did Poirot happen to be on the same train as the victim? Was it by accident or was it planned? How did Poirot react when he realized that Colonel Arbuthnot and Miss Debenham were also on the train? How might the case have been different if Poirot had been able to decipher the relationship between the Colonel and Miss Debenham?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)