|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Poirot tell Blunt that makes Blunt happy?
2. Why has Kent really come to town, according to Miss Russell?
3. Ursula comes from what sort of family background?
4. Who is frustrating Inspector Raglan, as Chapter Twenty opens?
5. Half an hour before Mr. Ackroyd's death, Ursula met whom in the summer house?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Twenty-five, what does Poirot say was the purpose of the phone call?
2. What is the story of Ursula and Ralph?
3. In Chapter Twenty-four, Poirot unexpectedly produces Ralph at the meeting, saying what about Ralph's whereabouts during the time he was missing?
4. What is learned about Charles Kent, the stranger James met, in Chapter Eighteen, that would make him seem like a suspect?
5. In Chapter Fifteen, what is the significance of homemade jam?
6. In Chapter Twenty-three, Poirot insinuates that nobody was actually in the room when Mr. Ackroyd died. How does he account for the conversation that was heard?
7. In Chapter Twenty-six, what does Poirot tell James is the only reason he never considered James as a suspect?
8. In Chapter Twenty-one, what does Poirot ask James to do, regarding people at Fernly Park?
9. What admissions does Parker make, in Chapter Seventeen?
10. Who do James and Poirot find crying in James' house, and what important thing does Poirot do at that point?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At what point in time does Poirot seem to suspect that Ralph and Ursula may have secretly married? Did you reach the same conclusion at the same time? Explain why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what you learned throughout the book about James as a man. When, if ever, did you notice a change in him or realize that he was the true killer before Poirot confronted him? Do you feel that James ultimately made the right decision by deciding to commit suicide? Explain why you think he made the decision and why you agree or disagree with it.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Flora in detail. What are her motivations throughout the story? What are her feelings when Mr. Ackroyd is murdered? How does she feel about Ralph?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)