|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is frustrating Inspector Raglan, as Chapter Twenty opens?
2. What major discovery do James and Poirot make about Charles Kent?
3. Poirot suggests what to the Inspector about Flora?
4. Half an hour before Mr. Ackroyd's death, Ursula met whom in the summer house?
5. Caroline reminds James to tell Poirot about what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Poirot say about the moved chair, in Chapter Twenty-five?
2. In Chapter Twenty, Poirot and James go to see Miss Russell because Poirot wants to confront her about what?
3. At the meeting, how do Flora and Mrs. Ackroyd react to Poirot's announcement that Ursula and Ralph are married?
4. What is the story of Ursula and Ralph?
5. What idea does Poirot have about why Charles Kent went to Fernly Park the night of the murder?
6. Poirot makes it known that he thinks James is guilty and offers James what way out?
7. Who do James and Poirot find crying in James' house, and what important thing does Poirot do at that point?
8. As a result of Mr. Ackroyd announcing Ralph's engagement to Flora, what did Ursula do?
9. What suggestions do James and Caroline make about Flora's love life, in Chapter Sixteen?
10. In Chapter Twenty-four, Poirot's maid walks in with what object and what significance does it have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Poirot finally found out that James was the killer for certain. How did he confront James about it? What was James' reaction? What option did Poirot give? How did things end up? What were both mens' motivations for their actions at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Agatha Christie uses foreshadowing throughout the story. Describe how and when Ralph's possible marriage to Ursula was foreshadowed.
Essay Topic 3
Choose either of the following clues from the story and describe its significance to both throwing off the investigation at first and eventually cracking the case.
1. The phone call
2. The moved chair
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)