|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tries to save Flora from her confession by confessing to the same thing?
2. Why does Poirot eliminate Parker as the person who made the call?
3. How did Ursula and Ralph meet?
4. Poirot thinks that the killer used the chair to conceal what item on the table?
5. Who do the police say is a drug user?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Twenty-four, Poirot unexpectedly produces Ralph at the meeting, saying what about Ralph's whereabouts during the time he was missing?
2. What is learned about Charles Kent, the stranger James met, in Chapter Eighteen, that would make him seem like a suspect?
3. At the meeting, how do Flora and Mrs. Ackroyd react to Poirot's announcement that Ursula and Ralph are married?
4. What does Poirot ask Caroline to do, in Chapter Fourteen, and what is the result?
5. Who do James and Caroline invite over, in Chapter Sixteen, and why?
6. In Chapter Twenty, Poirot and James go to see Miss Russell because Poirot wants to confront her about what?
7. In Chapter Nineteen, when Poirot and the others visit Flora, what does she confess?
8. In Chapter Twenty-three, Poirot insinuates that nobody was actually in the room when Mr. Ackroyd died. How does he account for the conversation that was heard?
9. In Chapter Nineteen, explain why Poirot suggests to the Inspector that he hold Charles Kent longer?
10. In Chapter Twenty-five, what does Poirot say was the purpose of the phone call?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what you learned throughout the book about James as a man. When, if ever, did you notice a change in him or realize that he was the true killer before Poirot confronted him? Do you feel that James ultimately made the right decision by deciding to commit suicide? Explain why you think he made the decision and why you agree or disagree with it.
Essay Topic 2
Choose any one of the following people's stories and explain it fully. What was that person hiding?
Essay Topic 3
What role does Mrs. Ferrars' suicide play in both the reason for Mr. Ackroyd's murder and the way in which Poirot solved the murder? Be sure to use both evidence gained by Mrs. Ferrars' suicide and the motivations of the killer, James, in your answer.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)