|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. James seems unconcerned by Poirot's accusations and even does what during the exchange?
2. James speaks to whom first at Fernly Park?
3. Poirot announces what to everyone?
4. Why does Poirot think Charles Kent went to Fernly Park the day of the murder?
5. Caroline sends James to give what to Poirot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the police call, near the end of Chapter Seventeen?
2. Who do James and Caroline invite over, in Chapter Sixteen, and why?
3. As a result of Mr. Ackroyd announcing Ralph's engagement to Flora, what did Ursula do?
4. In Chapter Twenty-four, Poirot's maid walks in with what object and what significance does it have?
5. In Chapter Nineteen, when Poirot and the others visit Flora, what does she confess?
6. In Chapter Twenty-three, Poirot insinuates that nobody was actually in the room when Mr. Ackroyd died. How does he account for the conversation that was heard?
7. What is the story of Ursula and Ralph?
8. In Chapter Twenty-six, what does Poirot tell James is the only reason he never considered James as a suspect?
9. What is learned about Charles Kent, the stranger James met, in Chapter Eighteen, that would make him seem like a suspect?
10. In Chapter Nineteen, explain why Poirot suggests to the Inspector that he hold Charles Kent longer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose either of the following clues from the story and describe its significance to both throwing off the investigation at first and eventually cracking the case.
1. The phone call
2. The moved chair
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between James and his sister, Caroline, as it progresses throughout the book. How do they feel about each other?
Essay Topic 3
Describe why certain people were considered suspects, due to the ring Poirot found. Who turned out to be the ring's owner and what bearing did it have on the case, if any?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)