|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Kent really come to town, according to Miss Russell?
2. In the start of Chapter Fourteen, the narrator tells the reader that after Monday night Poirot and whom went their separate ways?
3. What do James and Poirot ask Mr. Hammond about?
4. Who is in such disbelief that he/she calls the police to confirm the situation?
5. Poirot reminisces about his old friend, whose name is?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Twenty-three, Poirot insinuates that nobody was actually in the room when Mr. Ackroyd died. How does he account for the conversation that was heard?
2. Who do James and Caroline invite over, in Chapter Sixteen, and why?
3. What suggestions do James and Caroline make about Flora's love life, in Chapter Sixteen?
4. In Chapter Twenty-four, Poirot's maid walks in with what object and what significance does it have?
5. At the meeting, how do Flora and Mrs. Ackroyd react to Poirot's announcement that Ursula and Ralph are married?
6. What idea does Poirot have about why Charles Kent went to Fernly Park the night of the murder?
7. In Chapter Twenty-one, what does Poirot ask James to do, regarding people at Fernly Park?
8. In Chapter Nineteen, explain why Poirot suggests to the Inspector that he hold Charles Kent longer?
9. What favor did Poirot ask of Inspector Raglan, in order to help solve the case?
10. What does Poirot ask Caroline to do, in Chapter Fourteen, and what is the result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the meeting at Poirot's house, at which he suddenly produced Ralph. Why had Ralph been hiding out and how did he manage to elude the police. What else was revealed at the meeting?
Essay Topic 2
One of the biggest suspects in the case was Parker. Explain why you did or did not think Parker was the guilty party. For instance, did you think Parker had made the phone call or moved the chair? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Agatha Christie uses foreshadowing throughout the story. Describe how and when Ralph's possible marriage to Ursula was foreshadowed.
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)