|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Poirot reminisces about his old friend, whose name is?
2. What was discovered about Parker when James and Poirot questioned him?
3. Ralph wanted to conceal his marriage to Ursula until he could do what?
4. Half an hour before Mr. Ackroyd's death, Ursula met whom in the summer house?
5. Everyone at the meeting is shocked by what?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Nineteen, when Poirot and the others visit Flora, what does she confess?
2. In Chapter Fourteen, who finally tells his/her story of the secret they've been hiding and what is it?
3. In Chapter Twenty-three, Poirot insinuates that nobody was actually in the room when Mr. Ackroyd died. How does he account for the conversation that was heard?
4. What idea does Poirot have about why Charles Kent went to Fernly Park the night of the murder?
5. In Chapter Twenty-five, what does Poirot say was the purpose of the phone call?
6. In Chapter Twenty-one, what does Poirot ask James to do, regarding people at Fernly Park?
7. What is the story of Ursula and Ralph?
8. As a result of Mr. Ackroyd announcing Ralph's engagement to Flora, what did Ursula do?
9. Who do James and Caroline invite over, in Chapter Sixteen, and why?
10. What suggestions do James and Caroline make about Flora's love life, in Chapter Sixteen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what you learned throughout the book about James as a man. When, if ever, did you notice a change in him or realize that he was the true killer before Poirot confronted him? Do you feel that James ultimately made the right decision by deciding to commit suicide? Explain why you think he made the decision and why you agree or disagree with it.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the scene of Mr. Ackroyd's murder. How was it originally discovered? What did Poirot observe when he saw the murder scene? What evidence was discovered by the police at the scene? What observations were made about the scene as the book progressed?
Essay Topic 3
One of the biggest suspects in the case was Parker. Explain why you did or did not think Parker was the guilty party. For instance, did you think Parker had made the phone call or moved the chair? Why or why not?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)