|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Poirot has a newspaper announcement sent saying that Ralph was captured where?
2. Why does Poirot think Charles Kent went to Fernly Park the day of the murder?
3. Raymond admits that his secret is what?
4. Poirot tells James that he knows James arranged the phone call because of what?
5. Poirot reminisces about his old friend, whose name is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the police call, near the end of Chapter Seventeen?
2. In Chapter Nineteen, when Poirot and the others visit Flora, what does she confess?
3. In Chapter Nineteen, explain why Poirot suggests to the Inspector that he hold Charles Kent longer?
4. At the meeting, how do Flora and Mrs. Ackroyd react to Poirot's announcement that Ursula and Ralph are married?
5. What does Poirot say about the moved chair, in Chapter Twenty-five?
6. What is the story of Ursula and Ralph?
7. What does Poirot ask Caroline to do, in Chapter Fourteen, and what is the result?
8. What idea does Poirot have about why Charles Kent went to Fernly Park the night of the murder?
9. Who do James and Caroline invite over, in Chapter Sixteen, and why?
10. What does Raymond reveal to James and Poirot, in Chapter Fifteen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does Mrs. Ferrars' suicide play in both the reason for Mr. Ackroyd's murder and the way in which Poirot solved the murder? Be sure to use both evidence gained by Mrs. Ferrars' suicide and the motivations of the killer, James, in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Miss Russell's interest in drugs was tied to Charles Kent and how they became alibis for each other. What led Poirot to make the connection?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Dr. James Sheppard. What were your first impressions of him? Did those impressions change as you read the book? If so, in what ways and what triggered those changes?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)