|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the parlor maid's name?
2. Mrs. Ackroyd asks James to discuss what with Mr. Ackroyd?
3. How does Caroline think Mr. Ferrars died?
4. What does Caroline think James should search for regarding Mrs. Ferrars?
5. Ralph wants to avoid making Mr. Ackroyd angry for what reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do James and Poirot disagree about the evidence against Ralph and whether or not Ralph is the killer?
2. All evidence is beginning to point to Ralph as the possible blackmailer, including what?
3. Describe James and Caroline's new neighbor, Mr. Poirot, using information from Chapter Three.
4. Describe what Mr. Ackroyd confides to James, in Chapter Four.
5. Using the information in Chapter Two, describe the supposed relationship between Mr. Ackroyd and Mrs. Ferrars. Why were they close?
6. What is found missing from Mr. Ackroyd's room, in Chapter Ten, and who is discussed as someone who may have taken it?
7. Explain why James does not want to go with Flora to see Poirot, in Chapter Seven.
8. Describe the murder weapon. What was it, where did it come from, and where was it usually kept?
9. Describe clues that everyone tells the police and that the police themselves find, after Mr. Ackroyd's body is discovered, in Chapter Five.
10. How is Parker's behavior, in Chapter Five, suspicious, and why might he be a suspect in the murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Poirot finally found out that James was the killer for certain. How did he confront James about it? What was James' reaction? What option did Poirot give? How did things end up? What were both mens' motivations for their actions at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways is Ralph made to look guilty throughout the book in the eyes of most of the characters? Why is Poirot not convinced? Cite examples to support both opinions.
Essay Topic 3
Explain what you learned throughout the book about James as a man. When, if ever, did you notice a change in him or realize that he was the true killer before Poirot confronted him? Do you feel that James ultimately made the right decision by deciding to commit suicide? Explain why you think he made the decision and why you agree or disagree with it.
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)