|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Poirot, everyone is doing what?
2. What item was moved at the crime scene?
3. What does Flora tell Parker when she sees him walking to Mr. Ackroyd's room with drinks?
4. Mr. Poirot tells Caroline that they should find Ralph soon or what will happen?
5. Why doesn't Inspector Raglan want Mr. Poirot to work on the case?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does James learn from his trip to see Ralph, in Chapter Three?
2. In Chapter One, what is Caroline's theory about Mrs. Ferrars' death and the death of Mr. Ferrars a year ago?
3. All evidence is beginning to point to Ralph as the possible blackmailer, including what?
4. Describe the discussion between James and Officer Davis, in Chapter Six.
5. What remark does Mrs. Ackroyd make during the meeting, in Chapter Twelve, and what is Flora's response?
6. What two important clues were found by Poirot and James, at the end of Chapter Eight, and where were they found?
7. Describe what Mr. Ackroyd confides to James, in Chapter Four.
8. What did Mr. Ackroyd say to James, in Chapter Two, that James knew to be untrue and why did James know that?
9. In Chapter Eight, why is James told that an inquiry at the train station may be unsuccessful?
10. Describe examples of some of the interesting information that Mr. Poirot supplies to James about Mr. Ackroyd and Ralph.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Miss Russell's interest in drugs was tied to Charles Kent and how they became alibis for each other. What led Poirot to make the connection?
Essay Topic 2
Describe why certain people were considered suspects, due to the ring Poirot found. Who turned out to be the ring's owner and what bearing did it have on the case, if any?
Essay Topic 3
Explain what you learned throughout the book about James as a man. When, if ever, did you notice a change in him or realize that he was the true killer before Poirot confronted him? Do you feel that James ultimately made the right decision by deciding to commit suicide? Explain why you think he made the decision and why you agree or disagree with it.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)