|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does James tell Officer Davis that was familiar about the mysterious man he saw the night of the murder?
2. Even though Ralph always wanted money, who sticks up for him and says he is happy that Poirot is acting on Ralph's behalf?
3. Poirot tells whom that the quill from the summer house might have been used for taking heroin?
4. Whose fingerprints are not taken right away?
5. Ralph tells James what about Ralph's relationship with his stepfather?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Mr. Ackroyd confides to James, in Chapter Four.
2. What is learned about Charles Kent, the stranger James met, in Chapter Eighteen, that would make him seem like a suspect?
3. What does James learn from his trip to see Ralph, in Chapter Three?
4. In Chapter Fifteen, what is the significance of homemade jam?
5. In Chapter Fourteen, who finally tells his/her story of the secret they've been hiding and what is it?
6. What important question is asked asked regarding fire during Poirot's first trip to the crime scene, in Chapter Twenty.
7. What important clue is found by Poirot in the pond, and what initial was inscribed on it?
8. In Chapter One, how does James feel about Caroline's theory regarding Mrs. Ferrars' death?
9. What does Raymond reveal to James and Poirot, in Chapter Fifteen?
10. Poirot makes it known that he thinks James is guilty and offers James what way out?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the scene of Mr. Ackroyd's murder. How was it originally discovered? What did Poirot observe when he saw the murder scene? What evidence was discovered by the police at the scene? What observations were made about the scene as the book progressed?
Essay Topic 2
Explain what you learned throughout the book about James as a man. When, if ever, did you notice a change in him or realize that he was the true killer before Poirot confronted him? Do you feel that James ultimately made the right decision by deciding to commit suicide? Explain why you think he made the decision and why you agree or disagree with it.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the murders of Mr. Ferrars and Mr. Ackroyd and the suicide of Mrs. Ferrars were connected to each other. Also, explain when and how Poirot figured out they were connected. Did you reach the same conclusions because of the same key factors or not?
This section contains 1,228 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)