|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is murdered at Fernly Park, according to Parker?
2. Flora gets into a fight with whom over comments about Ralph?
3. Officer Davis questions James about the blackmailer because it was mentioned to him by whom?
4. Before his death, what did Mr. Ackroyd tell Flora about Mr. Poirot?
5. Caroline gives Poirot what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe James and Caroline's new neighbor, Mr. Poirot, using information from Chapter Three.
2. What does Caroline tell Poirot, in Chapter Eleven, that upsets James and why?
3. Describe examples of some of the interesting information that Mr. Poirot supplies to James about Mr. Ackroyd and Ralph.
4. In what ways does Flora act suspicious, in Chapter Nine?
5. Why does Caroline think Miss Russell may be the killer, but James disagrees?
6. Why is Mrs. Ackroyd disappointed and upset, in Chapter Ten, according to what she confides to James?
7. Explain why James does not want to go with Flora to see Poirot, in Chapter Seven.
8. Why do James and Poirot disagree about the evidence against Ralph and whether or not Ralph is the killer?
9. What important question is asked asked regarding fire during Poirot's first trip to the crime scene, in Chapter Twenty.
10. All evidence is beginning to point to Ralph as the possible blackmailer, including what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the meeting at Poirot's house, at which he suddenly produced Ralph. Why had Ralph been hiding out and how did he manage to elude the police. What else was revealed at the meeting?
Essay Topic 2
Explain what you learned throughout the book about James as a man. When, if ever, did you notice a change in him or realize that he was the true killer before Poirot confronted him? Do you feel that James ultimately made the right decision by deciding to commit suicide? Explain why you think he made the decision and why you agree or disagree with it.
Essay Topic 3
Describe why certain people were considered suspects, due to the ring Poirot found. Who turned out to be the ring's owner and what bearing did it have on the case, if any?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)