|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes out from behind a tree and surprises Flora?
2. Who becomes an immediate suspect due to his/her strange behavior?
3. Who has become close friends with Mrs. Ferrars?
4. Even though Ralph always wanted money, who sticks up for him and says he is happy that Poirot is acting on Ralph's behalf?
5. What is James told about inquiries at the train station?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Parker's behavior, in Chapter Five, suspicious, and why might he be a suspect in the murder?
2. In Chapter Eight, why is James told that an inquiry at the train station may be unsuccessful?
3. What remark does Mrs. Ackroyd make during the meeting, in Chapter Twelve, and what is Flora's response?
4. In Chapter Nineteen, when Poirot and the others visit Flora, what does she confess?
5. Describe what Mr. Ackroyd confides to James, in Chapter Four.
6. What does Poirot ask Caroline to do, in Chapter Fourteen, and what is the result?
7. What is found missing from Mr. Ackroyd's room, in Chapter Ten, and who is discussed as someone who may have taken it?
8. In Chapter Twenty-six, what does Poirot tell James is the only reason he never considered James as a suspect?
9. Why do the police call, near the end of Chapter Seventeen?
10. What does Caroline tell Poirot, in Chapter Eleven, that upsets James and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the meeting at Poirot's house, at which he suddenly produced Ralph. Why had Ralph been hiding out and how did he manage to elude the police. What else was revealed at the meeting?
Essay Topic 2
Choose either of the following clues from the story and describe its significance to both throwing off the investigation at first and eventually cracking the case.
1. The phone call
2. The moved chair
Essay Topic 3
Describe Dr. James Sheppard. What were your first impressions of him? Did those impressions change as you read the book? If so, in what ways and what triggered those changes?
This section contains 1,243 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)