|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Ackroyd's son's name from a previous marriage is?
2. Based on the initial inscribed on the ring, who might be a suspect?
3. Why doesn't James trust Caroline with information?
4. Who owns Fernly Park?
5. Who introduces Blunt to Poirot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Using the information in Chapter Two, describe the supposed relationship between Mr. Ackroyd and Mrs. Ferrars. Why were they close?
2. Describe what Mr. Ackroyd confides to James, in Chapter Four.
3. Based on the information given in Chapter Two, describe the village.
4. In Chapter One, how does James feel about Caroline's theory regarding Mrs. Ferrars' death?
5. Why do James and Poirot disagree about the evidence against Ralph and whether or not Ralph is the killer?
6. What important question is asked asked regarding fire during Poirot's first trip to the crime scene, in Chapter Twenty.
7. What is the Intelligence Corps and what role does it play, in Chapter One?
8. In Chapter Eight, why is James told that an inquiry at the train station may be unsuccessful?
9. What important clue is found by Poirot in the pond, and what initial was inscribed on it?
10. What does James learn from his trip to see Ralph, in Chapter Three?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Poirot finally found out that James was the killer for certain. How did he confront James about it? What was James' reaction? What option did Poirot give? How did things end up? What were both mens' motivations for their actions at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Poirot with Inspector Raglan. How are their investigative techniques similar and how are they different? Use examples from the story.
Essay Topic 3
What role does Mrs. Ferrars' suicide play in both the reason for Mr. Ackroyd's murder and the way in which Poirot solved the murder? Be sure to use both evidence gained by Mrs. Ferrars' suicide and the motivations of the killer, James, in your answer.
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)