|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter One, who has died?
2. Caroline feels terribly suspicious about Miss Russell for what reason that James dismisses?
3. Why is James upset with Caroline?
4. Who is the last known person to see Mr. Ackroyd alive?
5. As Chapter Thirteen opens, Poirot invites whom to dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Caroline think Miss Russell may be the killer, but James disagrees?
2. Using the information in Chapter Two, describe the supposed relationship between Mr. Ackroyd and Mrs. Ferrars. Why were they close?
3. Why do James and Poirot disagree about the evidence against Ralph and whether or not Ralph is the killer?
4. What is the Intelligence Corps and what role does it play, in Chapter One?
5. What remark does Mrs. Ackroyd make during the meeting, in Chapter Twelve, and what is Flora's response?
6. What does Caroline tell Poirot, in Chapter Eleven, that upsets James and why?
7. Describe the relationship between Miss Russell, Mr. Ackroyd, and Mrs. Cecil Ackroyd.
8. In Chapter Thirteen, what does Poirot tell James about a use for the goose quill that may be significant?
9. Explain the relationship, in Chapter One, between Dr. James Sheppard and his sister, Caroline.
10. What important question is asked asked regarding fire during Poirot's first trip to the crime scene, in Chapter Twenty.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does Mrs. Ferrars' suicide play in both the reason for Mr. Ackroyd's murder and the way in which Poirot solved the murder? Be sure to use both evidence gained by Mrs. Ferrars' suicide and the motivations of the killer, James, in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Miss Russell's interest in drugs was tied to Charles Kent and how they became alibis for each other. What led Poirot to make the connection?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between James and his sister, Caroline, as it progresses throughout the book. How do they feel about each other?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)