|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While James is gone, who stops in to see Caroline?
2. Ralph wants to avoid making Mr. Ackroyd angry for what reason?
3. Who died a year ago?
4. Who has become close friends with Mrs. Ferrars?
5. Mrs. Ackroyd asks James to discuss what with Mr. Ackroyd?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is found missing from Mr. Ackroyd's room, in Chapter Ten, and who is discussed as someone who may have taken it?
2. Describe James and Caroline's new neighbor, Mr. Poirot, using information from Chapter Three.
3. Explain the relationship, in Chapter One, between Dr. James Sheppard and his sister, Caroline.
4. Describe the murder weapon. What was it, where did it come from, and where was it usually kept?
5. Based on the information given in Chapter Two, describe the village.
6. In Chapter Eight, why is James told that an inquiry at the train station may be unsuccessful?
7. What two important clues were found by Poirot and James, at the end of Chapter Eight, and where were they found?
8. What important clue is found by Poirot in the pond, and what initial was inscribed on it?
9. Describe examples of some of the interesting information that Mr. Poirot supplies to James about Mr. Ackroyd and Ralph.
10. In what ways does Flora act suspicious, in Chapter Nine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two of the following characters and describe how they influenced the story:
3. Mrs. Cecil Ackroyd
Essay Topic 2
One of the biggest suspects in the case was Parker. Explain why you did or did not think Parker was the guilty party. For instance, did you think Parker had made the phone call or moved the chair? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What role does Mrs. Ferrars' suicide play in both the reason for Mr. Ackroyd's murder and the way in which Poirot solved the murder? Be sure to use both evidence gained by Mrs. Ferrars' suicide and the motivations of the killer, James, in your answer.
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)