|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Flora gets into a fight with whom over comments about Ralph?
2. Ralph tells James what about Ralph's relationship with his stepfather?
3. Mr. Ackroyd's wife was which of the following?
4. Poirot tells whom that the quill from the summer house might have been used for taking heroin?
5. What is Fernly Park?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe clues that everyone tells the police and that the police themselves find, after Mr. Ackroyd's body is discovered, in Chapter Five.
2. What did Mr. Ackroyd say to James, in Chapter Two, that James knew to be untrue and why did James know that?
3. In Chapter Thirteen, what does Poirot tell James about a use for the goose quill that may be significant?
4. All evidence is beginning to point to Ralph as the possible blackmailer, including what?
5. In Chapter Eight, why is James told that an inquiry at the train station may be unsuccessful?
6. What important question is asked asked regarding fire during Poirot's first trip to the crime scene, in Chapter Twenty.
7. How is Parker's behavior, in Chapter Five, suspicious, and why might he be a suspect in the murder?
8. Why is Mrs. Ackroyd disappointed and upset, in Chapter Ten, according to what she confides to James?
9. What remark does Mrs. Ackroyd make during the meeting, in Chapter Twelve, and what is Flora's response?
10. What is found missing from Mr. Ackroyd's room, in Chapter Ten, and who is discussed as someone who may have taken it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Agatha Christie uses foreshadowing throughout the story. Describe how and when Ralph's possible marriage to Ursula was foreshadowed.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Poirot finally found out that James was the killer for certain. How did he confront James about it? What was James' reaction? What option did Poirot give? How did things end up? What were both mens' motivations for their actions at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the murders of Mr. Ferrars and Mr. Ackroyd and the suicide of Mrs. Ferrars were connected to each other. Also, explain when and how Poirot figured out they were connected. Did you reach the same conclusions because of the same key factors or not?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)