|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Poirot think of James' theory about Ursula?
2. Who is Hector Blunt?
3. Why does Miss Gannet tell James that Mrs. Ferrars and Mr. Ackroyd broke off their engagement?
4. Where did Caroline walk?
5. Flora is so upset that she asks Raymond to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two important clues were found by Poirot and James, at the end of Chapter Eight, and where were they found?
2. What is found missing from Mr. Ackroyd's room, in Chapter Ten, and who is discussed as someone who may have taken it?
3. In what ways does Flora act suspicious, in Chapter Nine?
4. In Chapter Thirteen, what does Poirot tell James about a use for the goose quill that may be significant?
5. Describe the discussion between James and Officer Davis, in Chapter Six.
6. Explain the relationship, in Chapter One, between Dr. James Sheppard and his sister, Caroline.
7. How is Parker's behavior, in Chapter Five, suspicious, and why might he be a suspect in the murder?
8. Whose fingerprints does Poirot tell the inspector that he forgot to check against the prints on the murder weapon?
9. What important question is asked asked regarding fire during Poirot's first trip to the crime scene, in Chapter Twenty.
10. All evidence is beginning to point to Ralph as the possible blackmailer, including what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Poirot with Inspector Raglan. How are their investigative techniques similar and how are they different? Use examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
At what point in time does Poirot seem to suspect that Ralph and Ursula may have secretly married? Did you reach the same conclusion at the same time? Explain why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between James and his sister, Caroline, as it progresses throughout the book. How do they feel about each other?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)