|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does James tell Officer Davis that was familiar about the mysterious man he saw the night of the murder?
2. Mrs. Ackroyd and Flora are from where?
3. Where was the dagger usually kept?
4. Who arrives during Poirot's questioning about the stranger?
5. Who is Miss Russell to Mr. Ackroyd?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do James and Poirot disagree about the evidence against Ralph and whether or not Ralph is the killer?
2. Describe James and Caroline's new neighbor, Mr. Poirot, using information from Chapter Three.
3. Using the information in Chapter Two, describe the supposed relationship between Mr. Ackroyd and Mrs. Ferrars. Why were they close?
4. What important clue is found by Poirot in the pond, and what initial was inscribed on it?
5. In Chapter Thirteen, what does Poirot tell James about a use for the goose quill that may be significant?
6. What does Caroline tell Poirot, in Chapter Eleven, that upsets James and why?
7. In Chapter One, what is Caroline's theory about Mrs. Ferrars' death and the death of Mr. Ferrars a year ago?
8. What is the Intelligence Corps and what role does it play, in Chapter One?
9. Why is Mrs. Ackroyd disappointed and upset, in Chapter Ten, according to what she confides to James?
10. What remark does Mrs. Ackroyd make during the meeting, in Chapter Twelve, and what is Flora's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose either of the following clues from the story and describe its significance to both throwing off the investigation at first and eventually cracking the case.
1. The phone call
2. The moved chair
Essay Topic 2
At what point in time does Poirot seem to suspect that Ralph and Ursula may have secretly married? Did you reach the same conclusion at the same time? Explain why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Caroline. How is her character important to the story? Describe the difference between James' thoughts about her constant gossip and Poirot's thoughts on the subject.
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)