|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Chapter Thirteen opens, Poirot invites whom to dinner?
2. What is missing from Mr. Ackroyd's bedroom?
3. Whose fingerprints are not taken right away?
4. Mr. Ackroyd's wife was which of the following?
5. What did Mr. Poirot ask Mr. Ackroyd to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mr. Ackroyd say to James, in Chapter Two, that James knew to be untrue and why did James know that?
2. Why do James and Poirot disagree about the evidence against Ralph and whether or not Ralph is the killer?
3. Describe examples of some of the interesting information that Mr. Poirot supplies to James about Mr. Ackroyd and Ralph.
4. Why does Caroline think Miss Russell may be the killer, but James disagrees?
5. Describe the discussion between James and Officer Davis, in Chapter Six.
6. Describe the murder weapon. What was it, where did it come from, and where was it usually kept?
7. Whose fingerprints does Poirot tell the inspector that he forgot to check against the prints on the murder weapon?
8. All evidence is beginning to point to Ralph as the possible blackmailer, including what?
9. Explain the relationship, in Chapter One, between Dr. James Sheppard and his sister, Caroline.
10. What is found missing from Mr. Ackroyd's room, in Chapter Ten, and who is discussed as someone who may have taken it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Miss Russell's interest in drugs was tied to Charles Kent and how they became alibis for each other. What led Poirot to make the connection?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the scene of Mr. Ackroyd's murder. How was it originally discovered? What did Poirot observe when he saw the murder scene? What evidence was discovered by the police at the scene? What observations were made about the scene as the book progressed?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the meeting at Poirot's house, at which he suddenly produced Ralph. Why had Ralph been hiding out and how did he manage to elude the police. What else was revealed at the meeting?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)