|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Caroline feels terribly suspicious about Miss Russell for what reason that James dismisses?
2. Everyone, including James, does what when Poirot confronts them?
3. In Chapter One, how does Caroline think Mrs. Ferrars died?
4. Why doesn't James trust Caroline with information?
5. Why is James upset with Caroline?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the mysterious conversation Caroline hears between Ralph and a girl in the woods, in Chapter Three.
2. In Chapter One, how does James feel about Caroline's theory regarding Mrs. Ferrars' death?
3. In Chapter One, what is Caroline's theory about Mrs. Ferrars' death and the death of Mr. Ferrars a year ago?
4. Explain why James does not want to go with Flora to see Poirot, in Chapter Seven.
5. What important question is asked asked regarding fire during Poirot's first trip to the crime scene, in Chapter Twenty.
6. Describe the relationship between Miss Russell, Mr. Ackroyd, and Mrs. Cecil Ackroyd.
7. Why do James and Poirot disagree about the evidence against Ralph and whether or not Ralph is the killer?
8. Why does Caroline think Miss Russell may be the killer, but James disagrees?
9. Using the information in Chapter Two, describe the supposed relationship between Mr. Ackroyd and Mrs. Ferrars. Why were they close?
10. In Chapter Thirteen, what does Poirot tell James about a use for the goose quill that may be significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the biggest suspects in the case was Parker. Explain why you did or did not think Parker was the guilty party. For instance, did you think Parker had made the phone call or moved the chair? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two of the following characters and describe how they influenced the story:
3. Mrs. Cecil Ackroyd
Essay Topic 3
Describe Flora in detail. What are her motivations throughout the story? What are her feelings when Mr. Ackroyd is murdered? How does she feel about Ralph?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)