|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who introduces Blunt to Poirot?
2. What does Caroline think James should search for regarding Mrs. Ferrars?
3. Poirot tells whom that the quill from the summer house might have been used for taking heroin?
4. Miss Russell says she has pain where?
5. When James arrives at Fernly Park, what strange thing does Parker do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe examples of some of the interesting information that Mr. Poirot supplies to James about Mr. Ackroyd and Ralph.
2. What two important clues were found by Poirot and James, at the end of Chapter Eight, and where were they found?
3. Describe the relationship between Miss Russell, Mr. Ackroyd, and Mrs. Cecil Ackroyd.
4. Explain the relationship, in Chapter One, between Dr. James Sheppard and his sister, Caroline.
5. Describe the murder weapon. What was it, where did it come from, and where was it usually kept?
6. What does James learn from his trip to see Ralph, in Chapter Three?
7. Describe James and Caroline's new neighbor, Mr. Poirot, using information from Chapter Three.
8. In Chapter Eight, why is James told that an inquiry at the train station may be unsuccessful?
9. Describe the discussion between James and Officer Davis, in Chapter Six.
10. All evidence is beginning to point to Ralph as the possible blackmailer, including what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways is Ralph made to look guilty throughout the book in the eyes of most of the characters? Why is Poirot not convinced? Cite examples to support both opinions.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the scene of Mr. Ackroyd's murder. How was it originally discovered? What did Poirot observe when he saw the murder scene? What evidence was discovered by the police at the scene? What observations were made about the scene as the book progressed?
Essay Topic 3
Agatha Christie uses foreshadowing throughout the story. Describe how and when Ralph's possible marriage to Ursula was foreshadowed.
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)