1. Explain the relationship, in Chapter One, between Dr. James Sheppard and his sister, Caroline.
Although the relationship seems loving, James seems like he doesn't trust Caroline very much.
2. What is the Intelligence Corps and what role does it play, in Chapter One?
The Intelligence Corps is a group of town gossips, including the maid, who inform Caroline about Mrs. Ferrars' death.
3. In Chapter One, what is Caroline's theory about Mrs. Ferrars' death and the death of Mr. Ferrars a year ago?
Caroline thinks that Mrs. Ferrars murdered Mr. Ferrars and could no longer take the guilt.
4. In Chapter One, how does James feel about Caroline's theory regarding Mrs. Ferrars' death?
James is not so easily convinced. He doubts that Mrs. Ferrars was capable of what Caroline is suggesting.
5. Based on the information given in Chapter Two, describe the village.
The village is fairly small. There are two especially important households in the village, the home of Mr. Ackroyd and the home of Mrs. Ferrars.
This section contains 2,386 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)