• Dr. James Sheppard returns home from the Ferrars residence.
• Mrs. Ferrars has just died.
• James' sister, Caroline, is curious about what happened.
• Caroline is the town gossip, and James feels that the townspeople are her Intelligence Corp.
• James is reluctant to tell Caroline anything because he knows it will become public knowledge.
• Caroline already heard about the death from the maid and milkman.
• Caroline thinks Mrs. Ferrars murdered her husband, who died a year ago.
• Caroline thinks Mrs. Ferrars felt too guilty and overdosed on sleeping pills.
• James worries that Caroline will spread her theories.
• Caroline thinks there must be a suicide letter somewhere.
• James says that no suicide letter will be searched for.
• The village is described.
• Fernly Park and King's Paddock are the two important houses in town.
• King's Paddock is the Ferrars' residence and Fernly Park is the home of Mr. Ackroyd.
This section contains 3,988 words
(approx. 14 pages at 300 words per page)