* Dr. James Sheppard returns home from the Ferrars residence.
* Mrs. Ferrars has just died.
* James' sister, Caroline, is curious about what happened.
* Caroline is the town gossip, and James feels that the townspeople are her Intelligence Corp.
* James is reluctant to tell Caroline anything because he knows it will become public knowledge.
* Caroline already heard about the death from the maid and milkman.
* Caroline thinks Mrs. Ferrars murdered her husband, who died a year ago.
* Caroline thinks Mrs. Ferrars felt too guilty and overdosed on sleeping pills.
* James worries that Caroline will spread her theories.
* Caroline thinks there must be a suicide letter somewhere.
* James says that no suicide letter will be searched for.
* The village is described.
* Fernly Park and King's Paddock are the two important houses in town.
* King's Paddock is the Ferrars' residence and Fernly Park is the home of Mr. Ackroyd.
This section contains 3,632 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)