|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Alec thinking about buying in Boston?
2. Why does Sophie not want to do the investigation herself?
3. After Alec talks to Wincott at the police station, what does his boss, Lewis, assign Alec to do for the next three weeks?
4. What is inside the blue folder?
5. What happens on Sophie's date with Dr. Shields?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 18, Regan recalls the events of the evening after the seminar and the man chasing her in the garage for Alec. After the man chased Regan in the garage, Regan looked at his face. Regan watched his expression change. What is the man's expression, how does it change, and what does it mean? What does the reader know that Regan doesn't know about this man's personal life? How does this information connect to Regan falling down?
2. Sophie tells the other women that Dr. Shields left the island. Why are Sophie and Cordie going to stay after he already left?
3. When Regan's knee gives out, what happens in the mind of the killer?
4. When Regan and the girls attend the seminar by Dr. Shields, Regan believes there is a "plant." Who is it?
5. Who is Dr. Lawrence Shields and what is his relationship with Mary Coolidge?
6. Why does the picture found on Regan's computer scare her enough to call the police? Does she, at any time, think it is a fake? Why or why not?
7. When the killer arrives home after chasing Regan in the garage, he feels that he has failed, but knows that the "beast" would never let him get caught. Discuss the "beast" as if it were a separate character, as the killer believes. What powers does the "beast" have over the killer?
8. In Chapter 23, Regan reveals that she omitted a person from her murder list because she was distracted. Who does Regan NOT put on her murder list?
9. Why is Sweeney being investigated by the Internal Affairs department?
10. Why does the author think it is important to introduce the characters as children? How do you think this plot device will help later in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The uniformed cop who botched the drug sting in the beginning of the story is a character throughout the book. Why does the author add this character? What does this character help define in Alec?
Essay Topic 2
Why is there a feeling of joking and love after the blow up in Spencer's office? What is Regan's ultimatum? Why does it finally work? What does Regan do differently in this discussion with her brothers?
Essay Topic 3
The character of Walker only appears in the Prologue of the novel, and yet plays such an important role in the mystery. Describe Walker and discuss how his actions led to the killer pursuing Regan. The killer and his wife are warped by the car accident. How do they snap and what are signs at the accident that indicate that there will be later revenge?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)