|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Regan get to kindergarten on her first day?
2. Where does the photo on Regan's email originate from?
3. How does the killer murder his victim?
4. Why doesn't Regan run at the outdoor trail anymore?
5. How do the workers who find something sticking out of the ground contact the police?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the killer do when he returns home from murdering the runner in the park?
2. Sophie tells the other women that Dr. Shields left the island. Why are Sophie and Cordie going to stay after he already left?
3. Why does the picture found on Regan's computer scare her enough to call the police? Does she, at any time, think it is a fake? Why or why not?
4. What is Regan's hotel suite a symbol of in this story? Why do the girls return back to the suite after they reported the incident in the parking garage to the police? Why do they change their original plans to go to dinner?
5. What is the killer's life at home like?
6. Why is Sweeney being investigated by the Internal Affairs department?
7. When the workers find the toe sticking out of the ground near the running trail, what do they know about the victim just by looking at the toe? Consider the location. What else could the workers surmise from their findings?
8. Why does Sophie really want to get involved with the Mary Coolidge case?
9. In Chapter 18, Regan recalls the events of the evening after the seminar and the man chasing her in the garage for Alec. After the man chased Regan in the garage, Regan looked at his face. Regan watched his expression change. What is the man's expression, how does it change, and what does it mean? What does the reader know that Regan doesn't know about this man's personal life? How does this information connect to Regan falling down?
10. In Chapter 23, Regan reveals that she omitted a person from her murder list because she was distracted. Who does Regan NOT put on her murder list?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Shields asked the participants of his program to write down a "murder list." Cordie, Sophie, and Regan all wrote different things. What does each girl write and how are they different? Why does Regan feel like a fool when she realizes she is the only one to use real names? Do you think other people in the room used real names?
Essay Topic 2
On "Our Murder List," the killer puts a question mark next to Shields and the bodyguards. What do you think this means? Are these people in danger? Should they be warned? Why or why not? Nobody seems to react to it at all. Is this a mistake?
Essay Topic 3
Write about the concept of the "beast" as a separate character. Who the reader thinks the "beast" is changes throughout the story. Describe your thought process as you tried to figure out who the "beast" really was in the story.
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)