|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Peter Morris?
(a) A man who was refused grant money from the foundation.
(b) A friend of Henry's.
(c) Regan's old boyfriend.
(d) Alec's boss.
2. What is Sophie's job when she begins the investigation about Mary?
(a) She is a TV news anchor.
(b) She works for the newspaper and does the advice column.
(c) She is an investigative reporter for the newspaper.
(d) She is a mystery book writer.
3. When the girls meet for lunch, what are Sophie's plans for the weekend?
(a) To practice running on the track at the park.
(b) To attend a seminar and catch a murderer.
(c) To start a new diet.
(d) To spend the weekend at the Hamilton Hotel with Regan.
4. How does Mary Coolidge meet Dr. Lawrence Shields?
(a) At the Hamilton Hotel.
(b) At one of Dr. Shield's self-help seminars.
(c) At her husband's funeral.
(d) In Rome on vacation.
5. After Sophie tells Regan about her investigation into the murder of Mary Coolidge, what does Sophie ask Regan to do?
(a) Go to the police station and ask about progress on the case.
(b) Go tell her brothers so they can pay for the investigation.
(c) Go to the hotel and make a phone call to the police station about the case.
(d) Go talk to Mary's daughter and hear the information herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wincott tell Alec that the police found behind Sweeney's house?
2. When Alec is returning from Regan's office, what phone call does he receive?
3. Why does Sophie not want to do the investigation herself?
4. What does Alec have Regan write on a notepad when they get to the station and are sitting in the coffee room?
5. What news does Alec receive on the phone when he returns from Boston?
Short Essay Questions
1. Alec is in trouble at work. What has he done to anger his boss, Lewis? How does this one action affect the relationship between the two men?
2. When Regan and the girls attend the seminar by Dr. Shields, Regan believes there is a "plant." Who is it?
3. Why is Henry Portman, Regan's assistant, so concerned with Peter Morris?
4. In Chapter 2, why is Sophie's mention of Regan's picture in the paper important to the story?
5. In Chapter 23, Regan reveals that she omitted a person from her murder list because she was distracted. Who does Regan NOT put on her murder list?
6. Sophie tells the other women that Dr. Shields left the island. Why are Sophie and Cordie going to stay after he already left?
7. Why does the author think it is important to introduce the characters as children? How do you think this plot device will help later in the story?
8. In Chapter 19, Wincott tells Alec that Sweeney kept a diary. What does the diary say? Why is this information important? Does any of this connect to Regan? Why or why not?
9. What does the killer do when he returns home from murdering the runner in the park?
10. Regan is treated rudely by a sales clerk in a store. What is her reaction?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)