|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Moses do at Mt. Horeb?
2. What does Battraville say Americans know very well?
3. Who does Black Herman say is ready to meet with PaPaLaBas in Chapter 42?
4. What does Battraville want to do with the man he is looking for?
5. Why does Hinkle Von Vampton need Nathan Brown to write for the Benign Monster?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Moses read the Work to the people?
2. What does Battraville reveal to PaPaLaBas?
3. Describe the pendant that Hinkle Von Vampton wears around his neck.
4. What happens when the box with the Book is brought into the party?
5. What was the meaning of Abdul Hamid’s epigram?
6. What request does Earline make to PaPaLaBas?
7. What does PaPaLaBas say is the future of the Jes Grew?
8. What does Isis want from Moses?
9. What does Battraville say is the difference between VooDoo in America and VooDoo in Haiti?
10. What solution does Mr. Mellon propose for containing the Jes Grew?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What makes Mumbo Jumbo an American novel? How does Reed define America, and how is his definition of America sustained throughout the action of Mumbo Jumbo? How does Reed account for competing visions of what America is?
Essay Topic 2
What would it mean to ‘write down the dance,’ in Mumbo Jumbo? What efforts are made, to record the gestures of the Jes Grew, and why does dancing elude and representation? How does Ishmael Reed address the irony of writing a novel about a dance that cannot be recorded?
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate your own reading of Mumbo Jumbo—did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)