|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What inscription is embroidered on the flag that hangs from the ceiling of the stateroom on the black freighter?
2. What is the Wallflower Order’s relationship with the Atonist Path?
3. How does PaPaLaBas say Osiris’ brother viewed him?
4. Who does Hinkle Von Vampton think will be a good Talking Android?
5. What did Osiris ban?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is gathered at the Irvington-on-Hudson party?
2. What does PaPaLaBas say is the future of the Jes Grew?
3. Describe the scene of PaPaLaBas and Black Herman’s arrival at the party.
4. What strategy does Mellon propose for thwarting the Mu’tafikah?
5. What is the meaning of the chart inserted in the historical account leading up to Hinkle Von Vampton and Safecracker Gould’s arrest?
6. What does Battraville say haunts White culture?
7. What solution does Mr. Mellon propose for containing the Jes Grew?
8. What does Battraville reveal to PaPaLaBas?
9. Describe the pendant that Hinkle Von Vampton wears around his neck.
10. What was the meaning of Abdul Hamid’s epigram?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the epigrams to Mumbo Jumbo, from James Weldon Johnson, says that “the words of the Jes Grew songs “were unprintable, but the tune was irresistible, and belonged to nobody.” (p. 7). Who are the various different parties to whom the Jes Grew songs belong? Who embodies them, who participates them, and who renounces them? What makes the Jes Grew claim certain people and not others?
Essay Topic 2
Mumbo Jumbo presents a number of different African and African-American arts—minstrel shows, jazz, a cabaret, in addition to poetry and religious fetishes. Which art is most emblematic of the art of Mumbo Jumbo itself? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)