|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ishmael Reed compare Hinkle Von Vampton to?
2. Where is Mumbo Jumbo set?
3. Who is providing Berbelang’s gang with supplies and equipment?
4. Where is Jes Grew worst?
5. What does Reed say is the American motto?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Reed say the Jes Grew is seeking?
2. What is the status of The Text?
3. What is Warren G. Harding’s role in Mumbo Jumbo?
4. What is Hinkle Von Vampton’s strategy for eliminating the Jes Grew?
5. How does Biff Musclewhite free himself after the heist?
6. What is the significance of the siege in Haiti?
7. How does Woodrow Wilson Jefferson end up being hired by the Benign Monster?
8. How does Reed characterize America in Mumbo Jumbo?
9. How does Black Herman cure Earline of the possession by the scent of the lavender from the Black Plume?
10. Describe the confrontation between Buddy Jackson and Schlitz.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 2
Write an evaluative review of Mumbo Jumbo. What is this book’s place in culture? What are its uses? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 3
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)