|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does James Weldon Johnson say the Jes Grew belongs to?
2. What image does Berbelang use to symbolize the gods Shango, Shiva and Quetzalcoatl?
3. What does Earline say PaPaLaBas mixes concrete events with?
4. What does Berbelang say haunts Faust?
5. What is Schlitz’ relationship with Buddy Jackson?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Biff Musclewhite free himself after the heist?
2. Describe the interview between Hinkle Von Vampton and Abdul Hamid.
3. What accusation does Yellow Jack make to Berbelang?
4. What happens when the Mayor of New Orleans responds to the Jes Grew outbreak?
5. Describe the trolley car driver’s strange experience on account of the black freighter.
6. How does Reed characterize America in Mumbo Jumbo?
7. Why is Biff Musclewhite needed for the Mu’tafikah’s break-in at the Center for Art Detention?
8. What is the significance of the siege in Haiti?
9. What does the Jes Grew want?
10. Why is Thor distrusted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways is Mumbo Jumbo relevant to contemporary readers? What contemporary issues are in play in the book, and how would the book contribute to contemporary discussion? Cite specific discussions from contemporary sources, and cite specific instances from the book, that describe its contemporary relevance.
Essay Topic 2
Make an argument for which character is the most important character in Mumbo Jumbo. Who is most important to the novel? Is it Berbelang, and the Mu’tafikah? Is it Hinkle Von Vampton? PaPaLaBas?Benoit Battraville? Earline? Using examples from the text, propose one as more important than the others. Say why the others are not as important as the one you have nominated.
Essay Topic 3
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)