|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Teutonic knights protecting?
2. Where is Zuzu when the reader meets her?
3. How many artifacts will “Tam” collect and return?
4. How does Reed characterize the outbreak of Jes Grew?
5. Who is the anti-Jes Grew president?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the status of The Text?
2. What does the Jes Grew want?
3. Describe Nathan Brown’s status in the black arts scene.
4. What is the meaning when Safecracker Gould says that “the dances were difficult to write down” (p. 103)?
5. Describe Buddy Jackson’s cabaret.
6. How does Black Herman cure Earline of the possession by the scent of the lavender from the Black Plume?
7. What affliction is PaPaLaBas trying to relieve the blacks of in North America?
8. Describe the cover of the first issue of the Benign Monster.
9. How is Mumbo Jumbo different from most novels?
10. What is Warren G. Harding’s role in Mumbo Jumbo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the experience of the Mu’tafikah tell you about making art? Why should art be kept close to the people who create it? Why is art out of context dangerous, or lifeless? What does that mean for Mumbo Jumbo the novel? What is the proper home for this book?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate your own reading of Mumbo Jumbo—did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
Essay Topic 3
How would you rewrite Mumbo Jumbo, if you were to adapt it and make it your own? What part of the book would you preserve? What part would you change? Explain your motivation for the changes you would make.
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)