|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Berbelang say haunts Faust?
(a) The dread of the afterlife.
(b) The agony of having sold his soul to the devil.
(c) The knowledge that he is not really powerful.
(d) The guilt over the money he took from peasants.
2. What kind of people did Langston Hughes say were popular during the time period of the book?
(a) People who exercised strict restraint.
(b) People who had been to Africa.
(c) People who sampled different cultures.
(d) People who drank and smoked liberally.
3. What does Ishmael Reed say the Mu’tafikah building resembles?
(a) The Jes Grew.
(b) The future of Jazz.
(c) Black culture.
(d) Western history.
4. How does Reed characterize the outbreak of Jes Grew?
5. What is an August ham?
(a) A drink.
(b) A watermelon.
(c) A hat.
(d) A woman's dress.
Short Answer Questions
1. How will Berbelang get the Olmec head?
2. Who is Suzie Mae?
3. When Earline starts to discuss the Jes Grew, what does Berbelang do to interrupt her?
4. What do Hinkle Von Vampton and Safecracker Gould learn about the anthology?
5. Where does Hinkle Von Vampton work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the interview between Hinkle Von Vampton and Abdul Hamid.
2. How does Reed characterize America in Mumbo Jumbo?
3. Why is Biff Musclewhite needed for the Mu’tafikah’s break-in at the Center for Art Detention?
4. What is the meaning when Safecracker Gould says that “the dances were difficult to write down” (p. 103)?
5. What accusation does Yellow Jack make to Berbelang?
6. How is Mumbo Jumbo different from most novels?
7. What definitions of the Jes Grew are offered at the beginning of Mumbo Jumbo?
8. Under what conditions does Hinkle Von Vampton agree to stamp out the Jes Grew?
9. What does the Jes Grew want?
10. Why is Thor distrusted?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)