|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Mumbo Jumbo set?
(a) New York.
(b) San Francisco.
(d) New Orleans.
2. What does Hinkle Von Vampton ask Biff Musclewhite to do for him?
(a) Find the anthology.
(b) Remove a corpse.
(c) Open a safe.
(d) Cure the Jes Grew.
3. What does Reed say Berbelang known as?
(a) A scholar.
(b) A lounge lizard.
(c) A nuisance.
(d) An oddball.
4. What does the Robber Baron examine in Chapter 9?
(a) A book.
(b) A gold watch.
(c) An African fetish.
(d) A dollar bill.
5. What caused New Jersey youths to be fired from their job?
(c) Proselytizing the Jes Grew.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Biff Musclewhite reminisce about, with Charlotte?
2. Who is Suzie Mae?
3. What does Hinkle Von Vampton tell Major Young is the purpose of the ‘Benign Monster’?
4. When Earline starts to discuss the Jes Grew, what does Berbelang do to interrupt her?
5. What does Berbelang object to, in how people look at Van Gogh?
Short Essay Questions
1. What definitions of the Jes Grew are offered at the beginning of Mumbo Jumbo?
2. What kind of people did Langston Hughes say were popular in the 1920s in the Harlem Renaissance?
3. How does Black Herman cure Earline of the possession by the scent of the lavender from the Black Plume?
4. Describe the trolley car driver’s strange experience on account of the black freighter.
5. What is the meaning when Safecracker Gould says that “the dances were difficult to write down” (p. 103)?
6. Why is Biff Musclewhite needed for the Mu’tafikah’s break-in at the Center for Art Detention?
7. Describe the cover of the first issue of the Benign Monster.
8. What is Mumbo Jumbo’s relationship with history?
9. What is Hinkle Von Vampton’s strategy for eliminating the Jes Grew?
10. What critique does Abdul Hamid make of PaPaLaBas?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)