|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What note does Mumbo Jumbo end on?
(a) Children will not grow up until they can intuit their parents’ secrets.
(b) Secret knowledge should be kept from the masses.
(c) The black race will overtake American culture with jazz.
(d) Elders should teach their lessons to their children.
2. Who objects to the arrest of Hinkle Von Vampton?
(a) The Guianese art critic.
(b) Hierophant 1.
(c) The black painter.
(d) The Lebanese dancer.
3. What is the name of the literary device used repeatedly in Harlem Tom Toms?
4. Who does Earline say she is married to?
(a) All black men.
(b) Hinckle Von Vampton.
(c) Biff Musclewhite.
5. What does Hinkle Von Vampton say Brown has avoided doing?
(a) Retreating from black militarism.
(b) Using his poetry to fuel revolutionary ideals.
(c) Losing his legitimacy as a black person.
(d) Turning his heritage into a mystification.
6. What does Ishmael Reed compare Earline to in Chapter 40?
(a) A snake.
(b) A mermaid.
(c) A goddness.
(d) An ant.
7. What do the children accuse Safecracker Gould of doing?
(a) Stealing their homework.
(b) Misleading them.
(c) Stealing their slang.
(d) Beating them.
8. How are the times described at the beginning of Chapter 53?
(a) The end of the good times.
(b) The beginning of a new age.
(c) The end of the road.
(d) The dark time in a transition.
9. How did Moses’ mother cry when the looting and rioting was going on?
(b) Quietly, with restraint.
(c) Viscerally, wildly.
(d) Softly, distractedly.
10. Who saves Hierophant 1’s life?
(a) Hinkle Von Vampton.
(b) Benoit Battraville.
(c) Dr. Le de Forest.
(d) Walter Mellon.
11. What does PaPaLaBas give to the man Earline has seduced?
(a) His card.
(c) Earline's number.
12. What language has Abdul Hamid translated the Book into?
(a) Proper English.
(b) Ancient Egyptian.
(c) Academic language.
(d) The brother on the street’s language.
13. How does Battraville describe the whites’ war against Haiti?
(a) As a preemptive strike against the Jes Grew.
(b) A race war.
(c) A war of conquest.
(d) A centuries-old Holy War.
14. What does Abdul Hamid say he hopes for, in the future of the black race in America?
(a) The possibility of diversity, instead of stereotype.
(b) Power to rule their own territories and live by their own laws.
(c) Patience for decoding the entire book.
(d) Undoing progress and returning to Osiris’ times.
15. What did James Frazer call the Black Mud Sound?
(a) Lewd and profligate.
(b) Intellectual and rarefied.
(c) Earthy and sensual.
(d) Vulgar and offensive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does PaPaLaBas say that Osiris had to record his dance?
2. What is the Black Mud Sound?
3. What is the Spiraling Agony?
4. Why does Abdul Hamid say he burned the Book of Thoth?
5. Where does Black Herman go, after handing over Hinkle Von Vampton and Safecracker Gould?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)