|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How has the Wallflower Order figured out how to undermine the Jes Grew?
(a) By shipping sufferers to Africa.
(b) By educating people in European philosophy.
(c) By buying its followers’ loyalty for the Wallflower Order.
(d) By starving it of money and musicians.
2. What did James Frazer call the Black Mud Sound?
(a) Lewd and profligate.
(b) Earthy and sensual.
(c) Vulgar and offensive.
(d) Intellectual and rarefied.
3. What do the children accuse Safecracker Gould of doing?
(a) Stealing their slang.
(b) Misleading them.
(c) Beating them.
(d) Stealing their homework.
4. Who does Earline say she is married to?
(b) All black men.
(c) Hinckle Von Vampton.
(d) Biff Musclewhite.
5. Why does Buddy Jackson say that the whites wanted his Masons out of the mysteries?
(a) Because the mysteries had come from whites.
(b) Because the mysteries taught rebellion.
(c) Because the mysteries had been changed.
(d) Because the mysteries were black mysteries.
6. Why does PaPaLaBas say that Osiris had to record his dance?
(a) To feed the spirits.
(b) To feed her brother.
(c) To take power.
(d) To assuage the gods.
7. What brainstorm does Hinkle Von Vampton have about the Talking Android?
(a) He will become the Talking Android himself.
(b) He will brainwash PaPaLaBas.
(c) He will keep the identity of the Talking Android secret.
(d) He will put Safecracker Gould in blackface.
8. What note does Mumbo Jumbo end on?
(a) Children will not grow up until they can intuit their parents’ secrets.
(b) Secret knowledge should be kept from the masses.
(c) The black race will overtake American culture with jazz.
(d) Elders should teach their lessons to their children.
9. What ornaments the box in which the Book is kept?
(a) Men and women and temples.
(b) Bulls and cows.
(c) Egrets and herons.
(d) Snakes and scorpions.
10. What does Battraville say Americans know very well?
11. What is the Spiraling Agony?
(a) The name of the freighter loaded with fetishes.
(b) The new dance people are doing the Jes Grew to.
(c) Hinkle Von Vampton’s house.
(d) The companion magazine to the Benign Monster.
12. How does PaPaLaBas say Osiris’ brother viewed him?
(a) As a pretender.
(b) As a tyrant.
(c) As a fool.
(d) As a dilettante.
13. What is inside the box?
(a) A series of boxes that are ultimately empty.
(b) Loose, disconnected papers.
(c) A bull's horn.
(d) The Book.
14. Why does Abdul Hamid say he burned the Book of Thoth?
(a) He had captured its essence.
(b) It was racist.
(c) It was too lewd.
(d) It was incomprehensible.
15. What does Battraville want to do with the man he is looking for?
(a) Sacrifice him to a new loa.
(b) Get him to kill a new loa.
(c) Expose him to a new loa.
(d) Feed him to a new loa.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Abdul Hamid say he hopes for, in the future of the black race in America?
2. What does Reed say happened to the Knights Templar when Hugues de Payens read the Book?
3. Where does Black Herman go, after handing over Hinkle Von Vampton and Safecracker Gould?
4. Who learned VooDoo from Moses, according to VooDoo tradition?
5. Who greets PaPaLaBas and T Malice at the Mumbo Jumbo Kathedral?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)