|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Cora and William discuss, regarding Bert?
2. What else do the two men discuss?
3. How is Bert also riling up the white townspeople?
4. Who does Cora first blame for the comment Billy makes, then realizes blame lies with Bert?
5. Who is Colonel Thomas Norwood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Of what does William warn Cora? What does her response lead William to think of her?
2. What do Sallie and Norwod discuss? What does Norwood insist Sallie do? Why does Norwood become upset with Sallie, as well as Bert?
3. Who is Sam? What does he ask to Colonel?
4. How does the Colonel feel about Robert's behavior?
5. What does Cora try to do, one more time, regarding Bert?
6. What is Sam doing at the beginning of the scene?
7. When does Scene 2 begin?
8. What does this guest say about Bert?
9. What will Norwood not tolerate? Of what does Norwood warn Bert?
10. What does Cora say in response to Bert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The two men in the center of the conflict in this play are gone.
Part 1) How do their deaths affect or will affect the other characters in this play? Explain.
Part 2) What is the author's purpose for their deaths?
Part 3) Compare and contrast the audience members' thoughts about these deaths in the 1930s and today. What accounts for the similarities and differences?
Essay Topic 2
Bert commits suicide.
Part 1) Why does he commit suicide? What other options did he have?
Part 2) Could he have survived? Why or why not?
Part 3) What is the purpose of Bert's death? What message is the author trying to convey to the reader or audience member?
Essay Topic 3
Higgins chides Norwood for keeping a black mistress like a wife.
Part 1) Why does Norwood keep Cora in his home like a wife? How does this affect Cora?
Part 2) Does Higgins' attitude towards Norwood's behavior reflect the views of other white people in town? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does Norwood respond to Higgins' chiding? Why does he respond this way? What are your thoughts on his relationship with Cora?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)