|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has this guest come?
2. What are the consequences for Bert's accident?
3. What do Cora and William worry about Bert's place in society?
4. Why does Sam ask if it would be acceptable to take Sallie's luggage out the front door to the car?
5. What will the Colonel not tolerate from a "darkie," especially his own child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Undertaker decide about Cora?
2. How does Bert try to justify his position?
3. Why does the Undertaker ask Sam to find Cora?
4. Describe Sallie. What does she do when she enters the room?
5. How does the Colonel respond to Sam's question? What does Sam say about Bert? What stops the Colonel from fully processing what Sam has said to him?
6. How does the scene end?
7. What sparks an argument between Bert and Norwood?
8. Why does Bert dismiss their concerns?
9. How does the Colonel feel about Robert's behavior?
10. How does this guest send the Colonel over the edge, regarding Bert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Norwood treats his "darkies" better than most plantation owners threat theirs.
Part 1) Why does he treat them better? How do they benefit from this?
Part 2) How is this also harmful to them?
Part 3) How is his behavior towards them contrasting and confusing? Why is it contrasting and confusing?
Essay Topic 2
Act 2, Scene 2 contains much of the play's action.
Part 1) Describe this action. What leads up to this action?
Part 2) What is the outcome of this action? Could this outcome have been different? How? Why?
Part 3) How does this scene engage the audience? Are you surprised by this action? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Higgins chides Norwood for keeping a black mistress like a wife.
Part 1) Why does Norwood keep Cora in his home like a wife? How does this affect Cora?
Part 2) Does Higgins' attitude towards Norwood's behavior reflect the views of other white people in town? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does Norwood respond to Higgins' chiding? Why does he respond this way? What are your thoughts on his relationship with Cora?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)