|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. He knows he is neither black nor white, and he looks just like who?
2. Why does Sam ask if it would be acceptable to take Sallie's luggage out the front door to the car?
3. What does the guest warn the Colonel about Bert, if he does indeed get arrested for his behavior?
4. What do Cora and William discuss, regarding Bert?
5. What else do the two men discuss?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Norwood say about his treatment of his "darkies?"
2. Who is Sam? What does he ask to Colonel?
3. Who enters? What connection do they make? What do they begin to organize?
4. How does this scene open?
5. What does the Undertaker do when Cora enters?
6. What is happening outside? What does Bert do?
7. Who enters after the guest and Norwood leave? Describe these characters.
8. What sparks an argument between Bert and Norwood?
9. How does the scene end?
10. How does the Colonel feel about Robert's behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is conflict between Norwood and his black "family."
Part 1) Why is there conflict?
Part 2) Would this conflict have been typical at this time and location in America? Why or why not?
Part 3) Why can Norwood not end this conflict? What is stopping him from ending it?
Essay Topic 2
Cora seems calm after Norwood's death.
Part 1) Why is she so calm? Are you surprised by her reaction to his violent death?
Part 2) How has her character and personality been changed by this death? Will this be a permanent change? Explain.
Part 3) Compare and contrast her reaction to the reactions of others. Why do these similarities and differences exist?
Essay Topic 3
Higgins chides Norwood for keeping a black mistress like a wife.
Part 1) Why does Norwood keep Cora in his home like a wife? How does this affect Cora?
Part 2) Does Higgins' attitude towards Norwood's behavior reflect the views of other white people in town? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does Norwood respond to Higgins' chiding? Why does he respond this way? What are your thoughts on his relationship with Cora?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)