|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tale does Bert tell Cora and William?
2. What do Cora and William worry about Bert's place in society?
3. What does Sallie want to become?
4. What are the consequences for Bert's accident?
5. Why does he try to do this, regarding his position?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does this scene open?
2. Why do things become violent between Norwood and Bert?
3. What does William try to do one more time? What is Cora's response?
4. How does Bert respond to what Cora tells him?
5. What do Cora and William discuss?
6. What does William do when he arrives?
7. What does Norwood say about his treatment of his "darkies?"
8. What does the Undertaker do when Cora enters?
9. What does this guest say about Bert?
10. Who is Sam? What does he ask to Colonel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Norwood does not tolerate disrespect from his "darkies."
Part 1) How have his "darkies" been disrespectful to him? How does this affect Norwood?
Part 2) Would you agree that disrespect has been shown? Explain.
Part 3) How would you react if you were one of Norwood's "darkies?" Why?
Essay Topic 2
Bert went to school in the north and has spent time in large cities.
Part 1) How has this experience changed him? Is this a positive changed? Why or why not?
Part 2) Why does Norwood allow Bert to do this? How does this reflect Norwood's behavior towards his mulatto children?
Part 3) What role does this experience play in his relationship with his family and Norwood? What is the purpose of Bert's experiences in relation to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Bert used to be Norwood's favorite.
Part 1) Why might Bert have been Norwood's favorite?
Part 2) What changed this? How is Norwood to blame for this change?
Part 3) How does Norwood's attitude towards Bert reflect how he feels about the rest of his children with Cora and possibly his other "darkies" as well?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)