|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Cora and William worry about Bert's place in society?
2. What comment does little Billy make?
3. What has Robert done without permission?
4. With what does the Colonel start to follow Bert?
5. How is Bert also riling up the white townspeople?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Undertaker do when Cora enters?
2. What does Cora do after William leaves?
3. What does Norwood say about his treatment of his "darkies?"
4. About what are Norwood and Cora discussing, regarding Sallie and Robert?
5. Who does Bert pass as he leaves?
6. What is Cora's response when the Undertaker tells Cora that Norwood is dead?
7. What does this guest say about Bert?
8. Why is Sam upset and scared?
9. What is Cora's response to William's request?
10. How does Bert respond this time? What is Cora's advice to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Act 2, Scene 2 contains much of the play's action.
Part 1) Describe this action. What leads up to this action?
Part 2) What is the outcome of this action? Could this outcome have been different? How? Why?
Part 3) How does this scene engage the audience? Are you surprised by this action? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Bert has seriously offended the white people in town.
Part 1) How has he seriously offended them? What is the reason for his behavior towards and around them?
Part 2) How could he have handled the situation differently to have a more positive outcome?
Part 3) What is the author's purpose for Bert's behavior?
Essay Topic 3
Norwood and Bert have much in common.
Part 1) Prove this statement.
Part 2) How do these similarities reflect the theme of this play and the plays deeper meaning?
Part 3) What role do these similarities play in the advancement of the plot of the play? Could these two characters have been able to act any differently towards one another? Why or why not?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)