|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Cora first blame for the comment Billy makes, then realizes blame lies with Bert?
2. Of what does Bert then inform Cora?
3. Of what does Cora stop and remind the Colonel?
4. What does Cora tell Bert he needs to do, regarding his behavior?
5. What are the consequences for Bert's accident?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Colonel feel about Robert's behavior?
2. About what does this guest chide the Colonel? About what does he warn the Colonel?
3. How does Cora compare William to herself?
4. How does the second act begin?
5. How does Bert try to justify his position?
6. What is Cora's response when the Undertaker tells Cora that Norwood is dead?
7. How does this guest send the Colonel over the edge, regarding Bert?
8. What do Cora, William, and Bert discuss?
9. What does William do when he arrives?
10. What does Norwood say about his treatment of his "darkies?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bert is filled with hatred.
Part 1) Who does he hate? Why?
Part 2) What has caused this hatred? Is he able to rid himself of this hatred? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does Bert's hatred reflect that of many African Americans at this time in American history?
Essay Topic 2
Bert commits suicide.
Part 1) Why does he commit suicide? What other options did he have?
Part 2) Could he have survived? Why or why not?
Part 3) What is the purpose of Bert's death? What message is the author trying to convey to the reader or audience member?
Essay Topic 3
Bert went to school in the north and has spent time in large cities.
Part 1) How has this experience changed him? Is this a positive changed? Why or why not?
Part 2) Why does Norwood allow Bert to do this? How does this reflect Norwood's behavior towards his mulatto children?
Part 3) What role does this experience play in his relationship with his family and Norwood? What is the purpose of Bert's experiences in relation to the story?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)