Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Higgins and Norwood leave, who enters again?
2. For what does the guest chide the Colonel?
3. Who is Sam?
4. For what does Cora plead with Bert?
5. Where do Sally and Bert go when he pulls up outside?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cora compare William to herself?
2. What does William try to do one more time? What is Cora's response?
3. Why is Bert no longer the Colonel's favorite?
4. Who does Bert pass as he leaves?
5. How does Bert try to justify his position?
6. How does Bert respond this time? What is Cora's advice to him?
7. What does Cora say to Bert, as they enter?
8. Why do things become violent between Norwood and Bert?
9. About what are Norwood and Cora discussing, regarding Sallie and Robert?
10. Who enters after the guest and Norwood leave? Describe these characters.
Essay Topic 1
Sallie secretly is training to be a school teacher.
Part 1) Why is this a secret? Why does the Colonel send her to school in the first place?
Part 2) How does the Colonel's sending Sallie to school reflect his attitude towards his mulatto children?
Part 3) Why might Sallie want to be a school teacher? How would Norwood react if he was to find out? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Bert is filled with hatred.
Part 1) Who does he hate? Why?
Part 2) What has caused this hatred? Is he able to rid himself of this hatred? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does Bert's hatred reflect that of many African Americans at this time in American history?
Essay Topic 3
Bert commits suicide.
Part 1) Why does he commit suicide? What other options did he have?
Part 2) Could he have survived? Why or why not?
Part 3) What is the purpose of Bert's death? What message is the author trying to convey to the reader or audience member?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)