|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bert react to their explanation?
(a) He resents them for their concerns.
(b) He dismisses their concerns.
(c) He agrees to move north.
(d) He understands their concerns.
2. For what does Sallie want to thank Norwood?
(a) For letting her stay in his home.
(b) His kind treatment of her and the other "colored children."
(c) Her spending money.
(d) For allowing her to go to school to be a teacher.
3. How does Bert feel about his actions?
4. Why has this guest come?
(a) To visit with the Colonel.
(b) To plead Bert's case.
(c) To tell the Colonel that Sallie is going to school to be a teacher.
(d) To warn the Colonel of the growing resentment of the white community towards Bert.
5. What does Bert refuse to do when he hears the Colonel coming?
(a) Talk to the Colonel.
(b) Stand his ground.
(c) Run away out the back door.
(d) Go to his room.
Short Answer Questions
1. When and where does the play begin?
2. What tale does Bert tell Cora and William?
3. With what does the Colonel start to follow Bert?
4. What do Cora and William worry about Bert's place in society?
5. Who is Colonel Thomas Norwood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Undertaker do when Cora enters?
2. What does Bert plan to do to himself?
3. What does Cora try to do, one more time, regarding Bert?
4. What does Norwood say about his treatment of his "darkies?"
5. Describe Sallie. What does she do when she enters the room?
6. How does Bert respond to what Cora tells him?
7. How does this scene open?
8. Why is Sam upset and scared?
9. How does this guest send the Colonel over the edge, regarding Bert?
10. How does Bert try to justify his position?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)