|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the guest warn the Colonel about Bert, if he does indeed get arrested for his behavior?
(a) It will be costly to bail him out.
(b) His case could go to trial.
(c) There is a good chance the white men might break into the jail and lynch him.
(d) He will be in jail for some time.
2. What is Sallie careful not to acknowledge?
(a) How much money the schooling will cost.
(b) That she does not want to be a teacher.
(c) The children's true parentage.
(d) The Colonel's kindness.
3. For what does Cora plead with Bert?
(a) To move north.
(b) To be polite to the Colonel.
(c) To go to his room.
(d) To leave now.
4. What do Cora and William try to explain to Bert?
(a) Billie is too young to live with Bert.
(b) Sallie has to leave to go to school.
(c) His behavior may end tragically for him and the rest of his family.
(d) That Bert must go back north for school.
5. What comment does little Billy make?
(a) He knows the Colonel is his grandpa.
(b) He wants to see his Uncle Bert.
(c) He wants to move in with Bert.
(d) He wishes he was white.
6. How does Bert feel about this entire situation?
7. After Higgins and Norwood leave, who enters again?
8. What does Cora tell Bert the Colonel wants to do to him?
(b) Throw him out.
9. What does Sallie want to become?
(a) A housewife.
(b) A maid.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A business woman.
10. Why has this guest come?
(a) To plead Bert's case.
(b) To tell the Colonel that Sallie is going to school to be a teacher.
(c) To warn the Colonel of the growing resentment of the white community towards Bert.
(d) To visit with the Colonel.
11. What does this guest relate to the Colonel?
(a) What news there is to find around town.
(b) Sallie is not headed to the airport.
(c) The truth of what happened to Bert today.
(d) Bert's latest offense.
12. Why does Sam ask if it would be acceptable to take Sallie's luggage out the front door to the car?
(a) The back door is being painted.
(b) The back steps are difficult to maneuver.
(c) The front door is closer to the car.
(d) Sallie is the Colonel's daughter.
13. What is true about the relationship between the Colonel and Bert, up until this accident?
(a) Bert had been the Colonel's favorite.
(b) Bert and the Colonel despised each other.
(c) Bert and the Colonel were never close.
(d) Bert and the Colonel were best friends.
14. How does Bert feel about his actions?
15. Who is Sam?
(a) An elderly white man who is the Colonel's neighbor.
(b) The Colonel's business partner.
(c) An elderly black man who is a personal assistant to the Colonel.
(d) Another teacher at the school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Sally and Bert go when he pulls up outside?
2. With what does the Colonel start to follow Bert?
3. Of what does Bert then inform Cora?
4. What does Robert do as the act ends?
5. What tale does Bert tell Cora and William?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)