|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Cora first blame for the comment Billy makes, then realizes blame lies with Bert?
2. What does Cora tell Bert the Colonel wants to do to him?
(c) Throw him out.
3. What do Cora and William try to explain to Bert?
(a) His behavior may end tragically for him and the rest of his family.
(b) Billie is too young to live with Bert.
(c) That Bert must go back north for school.
(d) Sallie has to leave to go to school.
4. Why does he try to do this, regarding his position?
(a) He tries to ignore his behavior.
(b) He is half-white and Norwood's son.
(c) He is still a black man, even though he is Norwood's son.
(d) He made a mistake.
5. What else do the two men discuss?
(b) The weather.
(d) Norwood's children.
6. What do Cora and William worry about Bert's place in society?
(a) He will never know his place.
(b) He has no place.
(c) He knows his place.
(d) He cannot find his place.
7. What happens from the accident on, between the Colonel and Bert?
(a) Love grows on both sides.
(b) Both of their personalities change.
(c) Sadness grows on both sides.
(d) Resentment grows on both sides.
8. Who is the first-born son of Cora and the Colonel?
9. Why does Sallie come in?
(a) To say hello.
(b) To say good-bye.
(c) To see her mother.
(d) To visit with her father.
10. What does Bert once accidentally do when he is a young boy?
(a) Hug Norwood in front of his rich white friends.
(b) Tell Norwood he does not like him in front of his rich white friends.
(c) Get lost in the fields.
(d) Refer to Norwood as "papa" in front of the Colonel's rich white friends.
11. What do Cora and William discuss, regarding Bert?
(a) His headstrong ways.
(b) How he looks like his father.
(c) How smart he is.
(d) How he should move back north.
12. How is Bert also riling up the white townspeople?
(a) By driving recklessly and acting as "good as a white [man]."
(b) That he is rich.
(c) By sounding more educated than the white men.
(d) By telling them that black people are better than white people.
13. What is the real outrage about Bert's behavior?
(a) He had not asked permission of the Colonel.
(b) He dared to argue with a white woman.
(c) He did not apologize.
(d) He did not pay for the damages.
14. What does the guest warn the Colonel about Bert, if he does indeed get arrested for his behavior?
(a) There is a good chance the white men might break into the jail and lynch him.
(b) It will be costly to bail him out.
(c) He will be in jail for some time.
(d) His case could go to trial.
15. For what does Sallie want to thank Norwood?
(a) Her spending money.
(b) For letting her stay in his home.
(c) For allowing her to go to school to be a teacher.
(d) His kind treatment of her and the other "colored children."
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Cora plead with Bert?
2. What comment does little Billy make?
3. With what does the Colonel start to follow Bert?
4. Of what does Cora stop and remind the Colonel?
5. What is Sallie careful not to acknowledge?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)