|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sallie try to do for Bert?
(a) Plead his case.
(b) Get him to move back north.
(c) Get him a hotel room.
(d) Help him move.
2. What does Bert refuse to do when he hears the Colonel coming?
(a) Go to his room.
(b) Run away out the back door.
(c) Stand his ground.
(d) Talk to the Colonel.
3. How does Bert feel about this entire situation?
4. Who arrives as Sallie departs?
(a) Norwood's friend Henry Higgins.
(b) Norwood's servant Sam.
(c) Norwood's cousin George Talbot.
(d) Norwood's friend Fred Higgins.
5. What does Cora tell Bert about where he lives?
(a) He needs to understand that he is no longer living up North.
(b) He should move back up north.
(c) He is Norwood's son.
(d) He needs to help out at home.
6. What will the Colonel not tolerate from a "darkie," especially his own child?
(a) Such laziness.
(b) Such industriousness.
(c) Such insolence.
(d) Such happiness.
7. What happens from the accident on, between the Colonel and Bert?
(a) Resentment grows on both sides.
(b) Both of their personalities change.
(c) Love grows on both sides.
(d) Sadness grows on both sides.
8. What do Cora and Bert begin to do, after he tells her this news?
(a) They hug.
(b) They begin to cry.
(c) They begin to argue again.
(d) They begin to understand one another.
9. Where do Sally and Bert go when he pulls up outside?
(a) The library.
(b) The airport.
(c) The bus stop.
(d) The train station.
10. What do Cora and William discuss, regarding Bert?
(a) How he should move back north.
(b) How he looks like his father.
(c) How smart he is.
(d) His headstrong ways.
11. Who is Colonel Thomas Norwood?
(a) A plantation owner who is about 60.
(b) An overseer who is about 40.
(c) A school teacher who is about 40.
(d) A wealthy businessman who is about 60.
12. What happens as Cora and William worry about Bert's place in society?
(a) Bert enters.
(b) Norwood enters.
(c) Billy enters.
(d) Sallie enters.
13. For what does the guest chide the Colonel?
(a) For having a black mistress.
(b) For keeping a black mistress in his home like a wife.
(c) For not remarrying a white woman.
(d) For not marrying Cora.
14. What does Sallie want to become?
(a) A maid.
(b) A business woman.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A housewife.
15. Why has this guest come?
(a) To visit with the Colonel.
(b) To plead Bert's case.
(c) To warn the Colonel of the growing resentment of the white community towards Bert.
(d) To tell the Colonel that Sallie is going to school to be a teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Robert done without permission?
2. What does Robert do as the act ends?
3. Of what does Cora stop and remind the Colonel?
4. Who is the first-born son of Cora and the Colonel?
5. What do Cora and William worry about Bert's place in society?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)