|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sam slyly inform the Colonel about Bert?
(a) Bert has not yet arrived home.
(b) He has seen Bert using the front door.
(c) Bert already took Sallie's luggage out the front door.
(d) Bert is moving back north.
2. For what does Cora plead with Bert?
(a) To be polite to the Colonel.
(b) To move north.
(c) To leave now.
(d) To go to his room.
3. What does Robert do as the act ends?
(a) Goes to his room.
(b) Hugs the Colonel.
(c) Walks proudly out the front door.
(d) Runs out the back door.
4. Who is Colonel Thomas Norwood?
(a) A school teacher who is about 40.
(b) A wealthy businessman who is about 60.
(c) A plantation owner who is about 60.
(d) An overseer who is about 40.
5. After Higgins and Norwood leave, who enters again?
6. He knows he is neither black nor white, and he looks just like who?
(c) His grandmother.
(d) All other white men.
7. On what subject do Bert, Cora and William stay?
(a) Sallie's leaving.
(b) Bert's schooling.
(c) Bert's perceived arrogance.
(d) William's son.
8. Who is Sam?
(a) Another teacher at the school.
(b) An elderly black man who is a personal assistant to the Colonel.
(c) The Colonel's business partner.
(d) An elderly white man who is the Colonel's neighbor.
9. What is Bert telling everyone?
(a) He is not black.
(b) He is not Norwood's son.
(c) His mother is not Cora.
(d) His last name is Norwood.
10. What happens from the accident on, between the Colonel and Bert?
(a) Sadness grows on both sides.
(b) Both of their personalities change.
(c) Love grows on both sides.
(d) Resentment grows on both sides.
11. On what does little Billy begin playing?
(a) A washboard.
(b) The floor.
(c) A fiddle.
(d) The furniture.
12. What comment does little Billy make?
(a) He knows the Colonel is his grandpa.
(b) He wishes he was white.
(c) He wants to see his Uncle Bert.
(d) He wants to move in with Bert.
13. What does Bert try to do regarding his position?
(a) Lessen it.
(b) Ignore it.
(c) Justify it.
(d) Deny it.
14. Of what does Cora stop and remind the Colonel?
(a) Bert is their son.
(b) Bert is a man.
(c) Bert is strong.
(d) The Colonel could go to jail.
15. What will the Colonel not tolerate from a "darkie," especially his own child?
(a) Such insolence.
(b) Such laziness.
(c) Such industriousness.
(d) Such happiness.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bert feel about his actions?
2. Where do Sally and Bert go when he pulls up outside?
3. What is true about the relationship between the Colonel and Bert, up until this accident?
4. What does Bert refuse to do when he hears the Colonel coming?
5. What does Cora tell Bert the Colonel wants to do to him?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)