|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sallie try to do for Bert?
(a) Get him a hotel room.
(b) Plead his case.
(c) Help him move.
(d) Get him to move back north.
2. How has Bert experienced more equal treatment in the big cities?
(a) He has run away out of town.
(b) He has traveled on business out of town.
(c) He has gone to school out of town.
(d) He has vacationed out of town.
3. How does Bert feel about his actions?
4. What does Bert try to do regarding his position?
(a) Lessen it.
(b) Ignore it.
(c) Justify it.
(d) Deny it.
5. Why does Sam ask if it would be acceptable to take Sallie's luggage out the front door to the car?
(a) The back steps are difficult to maneuver.
(b) The front door is closer to the car.
(c) Sallie is the Colonel's daughter.
(d) The back door is being painted.
6. Of what does Bert then inform Cora?
(a) He is going to go back to work in the fields.
(b) He is no longer going to work in the fields.
(c) He wants to be an overseer.
(d) He wants to stay and help her.
7. What does Cora tell Bert the Colonel wants to do to him?
(a) Throw him out.
8. What do Cora and William worry about Bert's place in society?
(a) He knows his place.
(b) He cannot find his place.
(c) He has no place.
(d) He will never know his place.
9. What does Sallie want to become?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A housewife.
(c) A business woman.
(d) A maid.
10. Who is Sam?
(a) The Colonel's business partner.
(b) An elderly black man who is a personal assistant to the Colonel.
(c) Another teacher at the school.
(d) An elderly white man who is the Colonel's neighbor.
11. What else do the two men discuss?
(b) Norwood's children.
(d) The weather.
12. Where do Sally and Bert go when he pulls up outside?
(a) The airport.
(b) The library.
(c) The bus stop.
(d) The train station.
13. What does Bert believe he should not have to do?
(a) Leave his home.
(b) Talk with Norwood.
(c) Work out in the fields like the other field hands.
(d) Stand up to Norwood.
14. How does Bert feel about this entire situation?
15. How does Bert react to their explanation?
(a) He resents them for their concerns.
(b) He dismisses their concerns.
(c) He understands their concerns.
(d) He agrees to move north.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does this guest relate to the Colonel?
2. What are these men doing as they visit?
3. After Higgins and Norwood leave, who enters again?
4. What tale does Bert tell Cora and William?
5. What does Robert do as the act ends?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)