|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Robert do as the act ends?
(a) Hugs the Colonel.
(b) Goes to his room.
(c) Runs out the back door.
(d) Walks proudly out the front door.
2. What does Sallie try to do for Bert?
(a) Get him a hotel room.
(b) Plead his case.
(c) Help him move.
(d) Get him to move back north.
3. How is Bert also riling up the white townspeople?
(a) By sounding more educated than the white men.
(b) By telling them that black people are better than white people.
(c) That he is rich.
(d) By driving recklessly and acting as "good as a white [man]."
4. How does Bert feel about this entire situation?
5. What does Cora tell Bert about where he lives?
(a) He is Norwood's son.
(b) He should move back up north.
(c) He needs to help out at home.
(d) He needs to understand that he is no longer living up North.
6. When and where does the play begin?
(a) On a fall afternoon in 1930s Georgia.
(b) On a spring morning in 1830s Virginia.
(c) On a spring afternoon in 1930 Virginia.
(d) On a fall morning in 1830s Georgia.
7. After Higgins and Norwood leave, who enters again?
8. How has Bert experienced more equal treatment in the big cities?
(a) He has traveled on business out of town.
(b) He has run away out of town.
(c) He has gone to school out of town.
(d) He has vacationed out of town.
9. What is Sallie careful not to acknowledge?
(a) The children's true parentage.
(b) How much money the schooling will cost.
(c) The Colonel's kindness.
(d) That she does not want to be a teacher.
10. Who is Sam?
(a) Another teacher at the school.
(b) An elderly black man who is a personal assistant to the Colonel.
(c) An elderly white man who is the Colonel's neighbor.
(d) The Colonel's business partner.
11. Why does he try to do this, regarding his position?
(a) He made a mistake.
(b) He is half-white and Norwood's son.
(c) He is still a black man, even though he is Norwood's son.
(d) He tries to ignore his behavior.
12. On what subject do Bert, Cora and William stay?
(a) Sallie's leaving.
(b) William's son.
(c) Bert's schooling.
(d) Bert's perceived arrogance.
13. What are these men doing as they visit?
14. On what does little Billy begin playing?
(a) The furniture.
(b) A washboard.
(c) The floor.
(d) A fiddle.
15. How does Bert feel about his actions?
Short Answer Questions
1. What will the Colonel not tolerate from a "darkie," especially his own child?
2. Soon after, which son comes in?
3. Who is Colonel Thomas Norwood?
4. What does this guest relate to the Colonel?
5. What does Sallie want to become?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)