|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the guest warn the Colonel about Bert, if he does indeed get arrested for his behavior?
(a) There is a good chance the white men might break into the jail and lynch him.
(b) His case could go to trial.
(c) It will be costly to bail him out.
(d) He will be in jail for some time.
2. As the action opens, what are Norwood and Cora discussing?
(a) The arrival of Cora's daughter Sallie from school.
(b) The imminent departure of Cora's daughter Sallie for school.
(c) The plans for the next school year.
(d) The work that needs to be completed in the office.
3. For what does the guest chide the Colonel?
(a) For not remarrying a white woman.
(b) For keeping a black mistress in his home like a wife.
(c) For not marrying Cora.
(d) For having a black mistress.
4. What does Cora tell Bert the Colonel wants to do to him?
(a) Throw him out.
5. Soon after, which son comes in?
6. What does Sam slyly inform the Colonel about Bert?
(a) Bert already took Sallie's luggage out the front door.
(b) He has seen Bert using the front door.
(c) Bert is moving back north.
(d) Bert has not yet arrived home.
7. Where do Sally and Bert go when he pulls up outside?
(a) The train station.
(b) The library.
(c) The bus stop.
(d) The airport.
8. What comment does little Billy make?
(a) He wants to move in with Bert.
(b) He wishes he was white.
(c) He knows the Colonel is his grandpa.
(d) He wants to see his Uncle Bert.
9. On what does little Billy begin playing?
(a) A washboard.
(b) The furniture.
(c) A fiddle.
(d) The floor.
10. What is Sallie careful not to acknowledge?
(a) That she does not want to be a teacher.
(b) The children's true parentage.
(c) The Colonel's kindness.
(d) How much money the schooling will cost.
11. What happens as Cora and William worry about Bert's place in society?
(a) Bert enters.
(b) Norwood enters.
(c) Sallie enters.
(d) Billy enters.
12. What do Cora and William worry about Bert's place in society?
(a) He will never know his place.
(b) He cannot find his place.
(c) He has no place.
(d) He knows his place.
13. On what subject do Bert, Cora and William stay?
(a) Bert's perceived arrogance.
(b) William's son.
(c) Bert's schooling.
(d) Sallie's leaving.
14. What does Sallie try to do for Bert?
(a) Help him move.
(b) Plead his case.
(c) Get him a hotel room.
(d) Get him to move back north.
15. Why does Sam ask if it would be acceptable to take Sallie's luggage out the front door to the car?
(a) The back door is being painted.
(b) The back steps are difficult to maneuver.
(c) The front door is closer to the car.
(d) Sallie is the Colonel's daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are these men doing as they visit?
2. With what does the Colonel start to follow Bert?
3. Who does Cora first blame for the comment Billy makes, then realizes blame lies with Bert?
4. What does Cora tell Bert about where he lives?
5. What happens from the accident on, between the Colonel and Bert?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)