|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Robert done without permission?
(a) Stayed out late.
(b) Taken the car into town.
(c) Taken a new job.
(d) Left home.
2. Whose son is young Billy?
3. What do Cora and William discuss, regarding Bert?
(a) His headstrong ways.
(b) How he should move back north.
(c) How he looks like his father.
(d) How smart he is.
4. What does Norwood come in and order Bert to do?
(a) Move out.
(b) Go to his room.
(c) Sit down.
(d) Leave out the back door.
5. What is Sallie careful not to acknowledge?
(a) The children's true parentage.
(b) How much money the schooling will cost.
(c) That she does not want to be a teacher.
(d) The Colonel's kindness.
6. He knows he is neither black nor white, and he looks just like who?
(a) His grandmother.
(d) All other white men.
7. Of what does Bert then inform Cora?
(a) He wants to be an overseer.
(b) He is no longer going to work in the fields.
(c) He wants to stay and help her.
(d) He is going to go back to work in the fields.
8. What happens from the accident on, between the Colonel and Bert?
(a) Both of their personalities change.
(b) Sadness grows on both sides.
(c) Love grows on both sides.
(d) Resentment grows on both sides.
9. As the action opens, what are Norwood and Cora discussing?
(a) The arrival of Cora's daughter Sallie from school.
(b) The work that needs to be completed in the office.
(c) The imminent departure of Cora's daughter Sallie for school.
(d) The plans for the next school year.
10. For what does Sallie want to thank Norwood?
(a) For allowing her to go to school to be a teacher.
(b) His kind treatment of her and the other "colored children."
(c) Her spending money.
(d) For letting her stay in his home.
11. Why does Sam ask if it would be acceptable to take Sallie's luggage out the front door to the car?
(a) The back steps are difficult to maneuver.
(b) The back door is being painted.
(c) The front door is closer to the car.
(d) Sallie is the Colonel's daughter.
12. For what does the guest chide the Colonel?
(a) For not marrying Cora.
(b) For keeping a black mistress in his home like a wife.
(c) For having a black mistress.
(d) For not remarrying a white woman.
13. On what does little Billy begin playing?
(a) A fiddle.
(b) The floor.
(c) A washboard.
(d) The furniture.
14. What does Sallie try to do for Bert?
(a) Get him a hotel room.
(b) Help him move.
(c) Plead his case.
(d) Get him to move back north.
15. On what subject do Bert, Cora and William stay?
(a) Bert's schooling.
(b) Bert's perceived arrogance.
(c) Sallie's leaving.
(d) William's son.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bert feel about his actions?
2. With what does the Colonel start to follow Bert?
3. What does Bert once accidentally do when he is a young boy?
4. What is Bert telling everyone?
5. How is Bert also riling up the white townspeople?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)