|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does the guest chide the Colonel?
(a) For not marrying Cora.
(b) For not remarrying a white woman.
(c) For keeping a black mistress in his home like a wife.
(d) For having a black mistress.
2. What do Cora and Bert begin to do, after he tells her this news?
(a) They begin to argue again.
(b) They hug.
(c) They begin to understand one another.
(d) They begin to cry.
3. What does Bert refuse to do when he hears the Colonel coming?
(a) Talk to the Colonel.
(b) Run away out the back door.
(c) Go to his room.
(d) Stand his ground.
4. How is Bert also riling up the white townspeople?
(a) By driving recklessly and acting as "good as a white [man]."
(b) By sounding more educated than the white men.
(c) By telling them that black people are better than white people.
(d) That he is rich.
5. What do Cora and William try to explain to Bert?
(a) Sallie has to leave to go to school.
(b) His behavior may end tragically for him and the rest of his family.
(c) Billie is too young to live with Bert.
(d) That Bert must go back north for school.
6. What does Bert once accidentally do when he is a young boy?
(a) Refer to Norwood as "papa" in front of the Colonel's rich white friends.
(b) Hug Norwood in front of his rich white friends.
(c) Get lost in the fields.
(d) Tell Norwood he does not like him in front of his rich white friends.
7. What does Cora tell Bert he needs to do, regarding his behavior?
(a) He needs to stay positive.
(b) He needs to be himself.
(c) He needs to tone it down.
(d) He needs to stand strong.
8. What do Cora and William worry about Bert's place in society?
(a) He knows his place.
(b) He will never know his place.
(c) He cannot find his place.
(d) He has no place.
9. What does Cora tell Bert the Colonel wants to do to him?
(d) Throw him out.
10. What is true about the relationship between the Colonel and Bert, up until this accident?
(a) Bert and the Colonel were never close.
(b) Bert and the Colonel were best friends.
(c) Bert had been the Colonel's favorite.
(d) Bert and the Colonel despised each other.
11. After Higgins and Norwood leave, who enters again?
12. What does the guest warn the Colonel about Bert, if he does indeed get arrested for his behavior?
(a) It will be costly to bail him out.
(b) He will be in jail for some time.
(c) There is a good chance the white men might break into the jail and lynch him.
(d) His case could go to trial.
13. What do Cora and William discuss, regarding Bert?
(a) How smart he is.
(b) His headstrong ways.
(c) How he looks like his father.
(d) How he should move back north.
14. Why does Sallie come in?
(a) To say good-bye.
(b) To visit with her father.
(c) To see her mother.
(d) To say hello.
15. What tale does Bert tell Cora and William?
(a) The same tale of the radio tubes that Higgins told the Colonel earlier.
(b) A similar tale to what Higgins had told the Colonel.
(c) A different tale from what Higgins had told the Colonel.
(d) The same tale of the radio tubes that Higgins told the Colonel, and he is very sorry.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does the Colonel start to follow Bert?
2. What does Bert try to do regarding his position?
3. Soon after, which son comes in?
4. Why does Sam ask if it would be acceptable to take Sallie's luggage out the front door to the car?
5. Who is Sam?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)