|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what does Bert then inform Cora?
(a) He wants to be an overseer.
(b) He is no longer going to work in the fields.
(c) He is going to go back to work in the fields.
(d) He wants to stay and help her.
2. Who arrives as Sallie departs?
(a) Norwood's friend Fred Higgins.
(b) Norwood's servant Sam.
(c) Norwood's friend Henry Higgins.
(d) Norwood's cousin George Talbot.
3. What does Sallie try to do for Bert?
(a) Get him to move back north.
(b) Plead his case.
(c) Get him a hotel room.
(d) Help him move.
4. For what does Cora plead with Bert?
(a) To be polite to the Colonel.
(b) To go to his room.
(c) To leave now.
(d) To move north.
5. What comment does little Billy make?
(a) He wishes he was white.
(b) He knows the Colonel is his grandpa.
(c) He wants to see his Uncle Bert.
(d) He wants to move in with Bert.
6. What do Cora and William try to explain to Bert?
(a) Sallie has to leave to go to school.
(b) Billie is too young to live with Bert.
(c) That Bert must go back north for school.
(d) His behavior may end tragically for him and the rest of his family.
7. What does Sam slyly inform the Colonel about Bert?
(a) Bert is moving back north.
(b) Bert has not yet arrived home.
(c) He has seen Bert using the front door.
(d) Bert already took Sallie's luggage out the front door.
8. What is Bert telling everyone?
(a) His mother is not Cora.
(b) His last name is Norwood.
(c) He is not black.
(d) He is not Norwood's son.
9. What do Cora and William discuss, regarding Bert?
(a) His headstrong ways.
(b) How smart he is.
(c) How he looks like his father.
(d) How he should move back north.
10. What does Bert once accidentally do when he is a young boy?
(a) Refer to Norwood as "papa" in front of the Colonel's rich white friends.
(b) Get lost in the fields.
(c) Tell Norwood he does not like him in front of his rich white friends.
(d) Hug Norwood in front of his rich white friends.
11. What does Sallie want to become?
(a) A maid.
(b) A business woman.
(c) A housewife.
(d) A teacher.
12. What else do the two men discuss?
(a) The weather.
(d) Norwood's children.
13. How does Bert react to their explanation?
(a) He resents them for their concerns.
(b) He dismisses their concerns.
(c) He understands their concerns.
(d) He agrees to move north.
14. What does Cora tell Bert about where he lives?
(a) He should move back up north.
(b) He is Norwood's son.
(c) He needs to understand that he is no longer living up North.
(d) He needs to help out at home.
15. What are these men doing as they visit?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bert feel about his actions?
2. Soon after, which son comes in?
3. What does the guest warn the Colonel about Bert, if he does indeed get arrested for his behavior?
4. What tale does Bert tell Cora and William?
5. What do Cora and William worry about Bert's place in society?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)