|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sam slyly inform the Colonel about Bert?
(a) He has seen Bert using the front door.
(b) Bert already took Sallie's luggage out the front door.
(c) Bert is moving back north.
(d) Bert has not yet arrived home.
2. What does Bert believe he should not have to do?
(a) Leave his home.
(b) Talk with Norwood.
(c) Work out in the fields like the other field hands.
(d) Stand up to Norwood.
3. What are the consequences for Bert's accident?
(a) The Colonel beat him mercilessly.
(b) The Colonel had to send a search party to find him.
(c) The Colonel sent him to his room.
(d) The Colonel did not allow him to have dinner.
4. What does this guest relate to the Colonel?
(a) The truth of what happened to Bert today.
(b) What news there is to find around town.
(c) Sallie is not headed to the airport.
(d) Bert's latest offense.
5. Why does he try to do this, regarding his position?
(a) He is half-white and Norwood's son.
(b) He tries to ignore his behavior.
(c) He is still a black man, even though he is Norwood's son.
(d) He made a mistake.
6. What comment does little Billy make?
(a) He knows the Colonel is his grandpa.
(b) He wants to move in with Bert.
(c) He wants to see his Uncle Bert.
(d) He wishes he was white.
7. What else do the two men discuss?
(b) Norwood's children.
(c) The weather.
8. What does Sallie want to become?
(a) A housewife.
(b) A business woman.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A maid.
9. What are these men doing as they visit?
10. What tale does Bert tell Cora and William?
(a) A different tale from what Higgins had told the Colonel.
(b) The same tale of the radio tubes that Higgins told the Colonel earlier.
(c) The same tale of the radio tubes that Higgins told the Colonel, and he is very sorry.
(d) A similar tale to what Higgins had told the Colonel.
11. Who is Sam?
(a) An elderly black man who is a personal assistant to the Colonel.
(b) The Colonel's business partner.
(c) Another teacher at the school.
(d) An elderly white man who is the Colonel's neighbor.
12. What does Robert do as the act ends?
(a) Goes to his room.
(b) Runs out the back door.
(c) Hugs the Colonel.
(d) Walks proudly out the front door.
13. What does Norwood come in and order Bert to do?
(a) Move out.
(b) Leave out the back door.
(c) Go to his room.
(d) Sit down.
14. Soon after, which son comes in?
15. Why has this guest come?
(a) To tell the Colonel that Sallie is going to school to be a teacher.
(b) To warn the Colonel of the growing resentment of the white community towards Bert.
(c) To visit with the Colonel.
(d) To plead Bert's case.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Cora first blame for the comment Billy makes, then realizes blame lies with Bert?
2. What do Cora and William discuss, regarding Bert?
3. What does Bert try to do regarding his position?
4. What does Cora tell Bert he needs to do, regarding his behavior?
5. For what does the guest chide the Colonel?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)