|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first-born son of Cora and the Colonel?
2. Why does he try to do this, regarding his position?
(a) He is still a black man, even though he is Norwood's son.
(b) He tries to ignore his behavior.
(c) He is half-white and Norwood's son.
(d) He made a mistake.
3. What does Sam slyly inform the Colonel about Bert?
(a) Bert already took Sallie's luggage out the front door.
(b) He has seen Bert using the front door.
(c) Bert has not yet arrived home.
(d) Bert is moving back north.
4. What happens from the accident on, between the Colonel and Bert?
(a) Sadness grows on both sides.
(b) Love grows on both sides.
(c) Resentment grows on both sides.
(d) Both of their personalities change.
5. After Higgins and Norwood leave, who enters again?
6. What does Cora tell Bert about where he lives?
(a) He is Norwood's son.
(b) He needs to understand that he is no longer living up North.
(c) He should move back up north.
(d) He needs to help out at home.
7. What does Bert once accidentally do when he is a young boy?
(a) Get lost in the fields.
(b) Tell Norwood he does not like him in front of his rich white friends.
(c) Hug Norwood in front of his rich white friends.
(d) Refer to Norwood as "papa" in front of the Colonel's rich white friends.
8. Of what does Bert then inform Cora?
(a) He is going to go back to work in the fields.
(b) He wants to be an overseer.
(c) He wants to stay and help her.
(d) He is no longer going to work in the fields.
9. What are these men doing as they visit?
10. What does this guest relate to the Colonel?
(a) Bert's latest offense.
(b) The truth of what happened to Bert today.
(c) Sallie is not headed to the airport.
(d) What news there is to find around town.
11. Where do Sally and Bert go when he pulls up outside?
(a) The bus stop.
(b) The library.
(c) The train station.
(d) The airport.
12. Why does Sallie come in?
(a) To say hello.
(b) To visit with her father.
(c) To see her mother.
(d) To say good-bye.
13. For what does Sallie want to thank Norwood?
(a) For allowing her to go to school to be a teacher.
(b) For letting her stay in his home.
(c) His kind treatment of her and the other "colored children."
(d) Her spending money.
14. For what does the guest chide the Colonel?
(a) For keeping a black mistress in his home like a wife.
(b) For not marrying Cora.
(c) For having a black mistress.
(d) For not remarrying a white woman.
15. What else do the two men discuss?
(c) Norwood's children.
(d) The weather.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is true about the relationship between the Colonel and Bert, up until this accident?
2. What is the real outrage about Bert's behavior?
3. What do Cora and William try to explain to Bert?
4. Who is Colonel Thomas Norwood?
5. How does Bert react to their explanation?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)