|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Higgins and Norwood leave, who enters again?
2. Why does he try to do this, regarding his position?
(a) He made a mistake.
(b) He tries to ignore his behavior.
(c) He is still a black man, even though he is Norwood's son.
(d) He is half-white and Norwood's son.
3. For what does the guest chide the Colonel?
(a) For not marrying Cora.
(b) For keeping a black mistress in his home like a wife.
(c) For not remarrying a white woman.
(d) For having a black mistress.
4. Why does Sallie come in?
(a) To say hello.
(b) To say good-bye.
(c) To visit with her father.
(d) To see her mother.
5. What tale does Bert tell Cora and William?
(a) A different tale from what Higgins had told the Colonel.
(b) The same tale of the radio tubes that Higgins told the Colonel earlier.
(c) A similar tale to what Higgins had told the Colonel.
(d) The same tale of the radio tubes that Higgins told the Colonel, and he is very sorry.
6. Why has this guest come?
(a) To tell the Colonel that Sallie is going to school to be a teacher.
(b) To plead Bert's case.
(c) To visit with the Colonel.
(d) To warn the Colonel of the growing resentment of the white community towards Bert.
7. What is true about the relationship between the Colonel and Bert, up until this accident?
(a) Bert and the Colonel were best friends.
(b) Bert and the Colonel despised each other.
(c) Bert had been the Colonel's favorite.
(d) Bert and the Colonel were never close.
8. For what does Sallie want to thank Norwood?
(a) For allowing her to go to school to be a teacher.
(b) For letting her stay in his home.
(c) His kind treatment of her and the other "colored children."
(d) Her spending money.
9. What is Sallie careful not to acknowledge?
(a) The Colonel's kindness.
(b) That she does not want to be a teacher.
(c) The children's true parentage.
(d) How much money the schooling will cost.
10. What does Bert believe he should not have to do?
(a) Talk with Norwood.
(b) Work out in the fields like the other field hands.
(c) Leave his home.
(d) Stand up to Norwood.
11. What does Cora tell Bert the Colonel wants to do to him?
(d) Throw him out.
12. For what does Cora plead with Bert?
(a) To leave now.
(b) To move north.
(c) To go to his room.
(d) To be polite to the Colonel.
13. What does Bert try to do regarding his position?
(a) Deny it.
(b) Lessen it.
(c) Justify it.
(d) Ignore it.
14. Who does Cora first blame for the comment Billy makes, then realizes blame lies with Bert?
15. What does Norwood come in and order Bert to do?
(a) Sit down.
(b) Go to his room.
(c) Move out.
(d) Leave out the back door.
Short Answer Questions
1. He knows he is neither black nor white, and he looks just like who?
2. What does this guest relate to the Colonel?
3. What is Bert telling everyone?
4. Of what does Cora stop and remind the Colonel?
5. What do Cora and William worry about Bert's place in society?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)