|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens from the accident on, between the Colonel and Bert?
(a) Both of their personalities change.
(b) Sadness grows on both sides.
(c) Resentment grows on both sides.
(d) Love grows on both sides.
2. Whose son is young Billy?
3. What do Cora and Bert begin to do, after he tells her this news?
(a) They begin to cry.
(b) They begin to argue again.
(c) They begin to understand one another.
(d) They hug.
4. What does Cora tell Bert the Colonel wants to do to him?
(c) Throw him out.
5. What does Bert refuse to do when he hears the Colonel coming?
(a) Run away out the back door.
(b) Stand his ground.
(c) Go to his room.
(d) Talk to the Colonel.
6. What does Cora tell Bert he needs to do, regarding his behavior?
(a) He needs to tone it down.
(b) He needs to be himself.
(c) He needs to stay positive.
(d) He needs to stand strong.
7. What does Bert once accidentally do when he is a young boy?
(a) Refer to Norwood as "papa" in front of the Colonel's rich white friends.
(b) Tell Norwood he does not like him in front of his rich white friends.
(c) Hug Norwood in front of his rich white friends.
(d) Get lost in the fields.
8. For what does the guest chide the Colonel?
(a) For having a black mistress.
(b) For not marrying Cora.
(c) For keeping a black mistress in his home like a wife.
(d) For not remarrying a white woman.
9. When and where does the play begin?
(a) On a fall morning in 1830s Georgia.
(b) On a fall afternoon in 1930s Georgia.
(c) On a spring afternoon in 1930 Virginia.
(d) On a spring morning in 1830s Virginia.
10. Where do Sally and Bert go when he pulls up outside?
(a) The airport.
(b) The bus stop.
(c) The train station.
(d) The library.
11. What is Sallie careful not to acknowledge?
(a) How much money the schooling will cost.
(b) That she does not want to be a teacher.
(c) The Colonel's kindness.
(d) The children's true parentage.
12. As the action opens, what are Norwood and Cora discussing?
(a) The arrival of Cora's daughter Sallie from school.
(b) The imminent departure of Cora's daughter Sallie for school.
(c) The work that needs to be completed in the office.
(d) The plans for the next school year.
13. What does Bert try to do regarding his position?
(a) Justify it.
(b) Deny it.
(c) Lessen it.
(d) Ignore it.
14. What do Cora and William worry about Bert's place in society?
(a) He has no place.
(b) He will never know his place.
(c) He cannot find his place.
(d) He knows his place.
15. He knows he is neither black nor white, and he looks just like who?
(a) All other white men.
(b) His grandmother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does he try to do this, regarding his position?
2. Why does Sallie come in?
3. Soon after, which son comes in?
4. What does Sallie try to do for Bert?
5. What does Cora tell Bert about where he lives?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)