|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Robert done without permission?
(a) Left home.
(b) Taken the car into town.
(c) Taken a new job.
(d) Stayed out late.
2. What does Sam slyly inform the Colonel about Bert?
(a) Bert already took Sallie's luggage out the front door.
(b) Bert is moving back north.
(c) He has seen Bert using the front door.
(d) Bert has not yet arrived home.
3. What does Bert refuse to do when he hears the Colonel coming?
(a) Go to his room.
(b) Stand his ground.
(c) Run away out the back door.
(d) Talk to the Colonel.
4. Why does he try to do this, regarding his position?
(a) He is half-white and Norwood's son.
(b) He tries to ignore his behavior.
(c) He is still a black man, even though he is Norwood's son.
(d) He made a mistake.
5. Who is Sam?
(a) An elderly black man who is a personal assistant to the Colonel.
(b) Another teacher at the school.
(c) The Colonel's business partner.
(d) An elderly white man who is the Colonel's neighbor.
6. What do Cora and Bert begin to do, after he tells her this news?
(a) They begin to understand one another.
(b) They hug.
(c) They begin to argue again.
(d) They begin to cry.
7. What does Bert try to do regarding his position?
(a) Deny it.
(b) Justify it.
(c) Ignore it.
(d) Lessen it.
8. On what does little Billy begin playing?
(a) The floor.
(b) A fiddle.
(c) The furniture.
(d) A washboard.
9. With what does the Colonel start to follow Bert?
(a) A knife.
(b) A bat.
(c) A pistol.
(d) A letter.
10. Why does Sallie come in?
(a) To say hello.
(b) To say good-bye.
(c) To visit with her father.
(d) To see her mother.
11. Who is the first-born son of Cora and the Colonel?
12. On what subject do Bert, Cora and William stay?
(a) William's son.
(b) Bert's schooling.
(c) Sallie's leaving.
(d) Bert's perceived arrogance.
13. What does Sallie want to become?
(a) A maid.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A housewife.
(d) A business woman.
14. What does the guest warn the Colonel about Bert, if he does indeed get arrested for his behavior?
(a) He will be in jail for some time.
(b) It will be costly to bail him out.
(c) His case could go to trial.
(d) There is a good chance the white men might break into the jail and lynch him.
15. What is true about the relationship between the Colonel and Bert, up until this accident?
(a) Bert had been the Colonel's favorite.
(b) Bert and the Colonel were never close.
(c) Bert and the Colonel were best friends.
(d) Bert and the Colonel despised each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Cora and William discuss, regarding Bert?
2. What comment does little Billy make?
3. Who arrives as Sallie departs?
4. Why does Sam ask if it would be acceptable to take Sallie's luggage out the front door to the car?
5. What does Sallie try to do for Bert?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)