|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Robert done without permission?
(a) Left home.
(b) Stayed out late.
(c) Taken a new job.
(d) Taken the car into town.
2. What do Cora and William worry about Bert's place in society?
(a) He has no place.
(b) He will never know his place.
(c) He knows his place.
(d) He cannot find his place.
3. Where do Sally and Bert go when he pulls up outside?
(a) The bus stop.
(b) The library.
(c) The airport.
(d) The train station.
4. Why does Sallie come in?
(a) To say good-bye.
(b) To see her mother.
(c) To say hello.
(d) To visit with her father.
5. Who is the first-born son of Cora and the Colonel?
6. How does Bert feel about this entire situation?
7. Soon after, which son comes in?
8. What are these men doing as they visit?
9. What do Cora and William discuss, regarding Bert?
(a) How smart he is.
(b) How he looks like his father.
(c) His headstrong ways.
(d) How he should move back north.
10. What does the guest warn the Colonel about Bert, if he does indeed get arrested for his behavior?
(a) It will be costly to bail him out.
(b) His case could go to trial.
(c) He will be in jail for some time.
(d) There is a good chance the white men might break into the jail and lynch him.
11. How does Bert react to their explanation?
(a) He dismisses their concerns.
(b) He agrees to move north.
(c) He understands their concerns.
(d) He resents them for their concerns.
12. What happens as Cora and William worry about Bert's place in society?
(a) Sallie enters.
(b) Billy enters.
(c) Bert enters.
(d) Norwood enters.
13. What does Cora tell Bert he needs to do, regarding his behavior?
(a) He needs to stand strong.
(b) He needs to stay positive.
(c) He needs to tone it down.
(d) He needs to be himself.
14. Why has this guest come?
(a) To warn the Colonel of the growing resentment of the white community towards Bert.
(b) To visit with the Colonel.
(c) To plead Bert's case.
(d) To tell the Colonel that Sallie is going to school to be a teacher.
15. When and where does the play begin?
(a) On a spring afternoon in 1930 Virginia.
(b) On a spring morning in 1830s Virginia.
(c) On a fall afternoon in 1930s Georgia.
(d) On a fall morning in 1830s Georgia.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does the Colonel start to follow Bert?
2. On what subject do Bert, Cora and William stay?
3. What does Cora tell Bert about where he lives?
4. For what does Cora plead with Bert?
5. How does Bert feel about his actions?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)