|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Cora and William worry about Bert's place in society?
(a) He has no place.
(b) He knows his place.
(c) He cannot find his place.
(d) He will never know his place.
2. What does Bert try to do regarding his position?
(a) Lessen it.
(b) Deny it.
(c) Ignore it.
(d) Justify it.
3. For what does the guest chide the Colonel?
(a) For not remarrying a white woman.
(b) For having a black mistress.
(c) For not marrying Cora.
(d) For keeping a black mistress in his home like a wife.
4. How does Bert react to their explanation?
(a) He understands their concerns.
(b) He resents them for their concerns.
(c) He agrees to move north.
(d) He dismisses their concerns.
5. Of what does Cora stop and remind the Colonel?
(a) The Colonel could go to jail.
(b) Bert is a man.
(c) Bert is their son.
(d) Bert is strong.
6. What does Cora tell Bert he needs to do, regarding his behavior?
(a) He needs to be himself.
(b) He needs to stay positive.
(c) He needs to stand strong.
(d) He needs to tone it down.
7. After Higgins and Norwood leave, who enters again?
8. Who is Colonel Thomas Norwood?
(a) An overseer who is about 40.
(b) A school teacher who is about 40.
(c) A plantation owner who is about 60.
(d) A wealthy businessman who is about 60.
9. What tale does Bert tell Cora and William?
(a) The same tale of the radio tubes that Higgins told the Colonel, and he is very sorry.
(b) The same tale of the radio tubes that Higgins told the Colonel earlier.
(c) A different tale from what Higgins had told the Colonel.
(d) A similar tale to what Higgins had told the Colonel.
10. Of what does Bert then inform Cora?
(a) He is no longer going to work in the fields.
(b) He is going to go back to work in the fields.
(c) He wants to be an overseer.
(d) He wants to stay and help her.
11. How does Bert feel about his actions?
12. What comment does little Billy make?
(a) He wants to move in with Bert.
(b) He wants to see his Uncle Bert.
(c) He wishes he was white.
(d) He knows the Colonel is his grandpa.
13. He knows he is neither black nor white, and he looks just like who?
(a) His grandmother.
(b) All other white men.
14. How does Bert feel about this entire situation?
15. What does Bert once accidentally do when he is a young boy?
(a) Tell Norwood he does not like him in front of his rich white friends.
(b) Get lost in the fields.
(c) Refer to Norwood as "papa" in front of the Colonel's rich white friends.
(d) Hug Norwood in front of his rich white friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. Soon after, which son comes in?
2. What does Sallie want to become?
3. What do Cora and William discuss, regarding Bert?
4. What does the guest warn the Colonel about Bert, if he does indeed get arrested for his behavior?
5. What else do the two men discuss?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)