Act 1, Scene 1
1. When and where does the play begin?
(a) On a spring morning in 1830s Virginia.
(b) On a fall afternoon in 1930s Georgia.
(c) On a fall morning in 1830s Georgia.
(d) On a spring afternoon in 1930 Virginia.
2. Who is Colonel Thomas Norwood?
(a) An overseer who is about 40.
(b) A wealthy businessman who is about 60.
(c) A plantation owner who is about 60.
(d) A school teacher who is about 40.
3. As the action opens, what are Norwood and Cora discussing?
(a) The plans for the next school year.
(b) The arrival of Cora's daughter Sallie from school.
(c) The imminent departure of Cora's daughter Sallie for school.
(d) The work that needs to be completed in the office.
4. What has Robert done without permission?
(a) Stayed out late.
(b) Taken a new job.
(c) Taken the car into town.
(d) Left home.
5. What will the Colonel not tolerate from a "darkie," especially his own child?
(a) Such happiness.
(b) Such insolence.
(c) Such industriousness.
(d) Such laziness.
This section contains 4,140 words
(approx. 14 pages at 300 words per page)