|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Muhammad believe his role to be?
2. Why were the clans against Muhammad's uncle?
3. People who don't re-order their lives live in _________ God.
4. In Medina, he began to work for Arab unity. What happened to the Quran?
5. What did the harassment of Muhammad by the Quraysh result in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Muslims say is the cause for the acceptance of polytheism in the Quran? What happened when Muhammad started to demand monotheism after the removal of the passage regarding polytheism? How did various societies react to this demand?
2. What did the Quraysh do when Muhammad insisted on the worship of only one God?
3. Describe the raids done by those who had emigrated to Medina. How did this affect the Quran?
4. What is a warner? Why does Muhammad believe that he is one of these?
5. Why were the Muslims and Jews supposed to live in peace? What happened to the tribal society? How did this affect others?
6. What had happened to Muhammad's power by this point?
7. Who were Muhammad's first followers? Why?
8. Describe Muhammad's first three years of preaching.
9. Describe Muhammad's greatest mystical experience.
10. What happened after Muhammad moved to Medina?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Arabs united under Muhammad's teachings.
Part 1) Describe Muhammad's teachings. How did they unify the Arabs?
Part 2) How did the Arabs benefit from this unification? Why and how did some also fight it? Why was Muhammad ultimately successful? How is this success seen today?
Part 3) How have groups of people unified under other leaders and other religions? What do these people and religions all have in common that lead to unification?
Essay Topic 2
Many refer to Muhammad as the umma.
Part 1) What is meant by this? Why do they call him this? What do Muslims think about this name? Why do they feel this way?
Part 2) What might Muhammad think about this name? Why? Would this nickname be unusual for the time in which he lived? Why or why not?
Part 3) How might this nickname influence Western opinions of Muhammad? Why? What connection exists between this and what many Muslims think of this nickname?
Essay Topic 3
Islam does not teach theology.
Part 1) What is theology? What does Islam teach? How is this different from Judaism and Christianity?
Part 2) Why does Islam not teach theology? Do Judaism and Christianity teach theology? If so, how and why? If not, why not?
Part 3) Is theology necessary for a belief system to be considered a religion? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,284 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)