|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Muhammad send some of the Muslims?
2. What is the name for Sura 93?
3. When is this mystical event celebrated?
4. A belief in one God would bring what to the life of the believer?
5. Much of the references in the Quran are symbolic. What are the followers encouraged to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Muhammad in Mecca at this time?
2. Describe the raids done by those who had emigrated to Medina. How did this affect the Quran?
3. Why were the Muslims and Jews supposed to live in peace? What happened to the tribal society? How did this affect others?
4. When did Muhammad decide he could no longer stay in Mecca?
5. Describe Muhammad's greatest mystical experience.
6. In terms of marriage, what did Muhammad do when his wife died?
7. What did the Quraysh do when Muhammad insisted on the worship of only one God?
8. What eventually happened to the alliance with the Jews? Why might this have happened?
9. What was the affect of the Badr?
10. Eventually, what happened to families regarding Islam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Muhammad and his followers were persecuted.
Part 1) How were they persecuted? Why were they persecuted?
Part 2) How did Muhammad and his followers survive this persecution and end up successfully converting much of Arabia to Islam? How is persecution found in other religions? Why?
Part 3) Why do humans feel the need to try to forcefully control others? Will this ever end? If so, how? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
The age of the Renaissance resulted in more objectivity.
Part 1) Describe the age of the Renaissance. How were Judaism, Islam, and Christianity affect by the Renaissance? Why?
Part 2) Does this objectivity continue beyond the Renaissance? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) Does some of this objectivity exist today? If so, how? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 3
Muhammad had his greatest mystical experience while staying with his sister.
Part 1) Describe this mystical experience. What is your reaction to hearing this story? Is it surprising? Why or why not?
Part 2) How did this mystical experience change Muhammad, as well as the Quran? How does it also change the religion of Islam?
Part 3) Do you believe mystical experiences such as this can really take place? Why or why not? How might a mystical experience change your own life?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)