|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Muhammad and Gabriel climbed the ladder through the seven heavens. Where did they reach?
2. In 627-628, what did Muhammad begin to do?
3. What did the people of Mecca and Medina continue to attack?
4. Since Muhammad had to fight to achieve his goals, Islam acquired what name?
5. What happens to Muhammad when his uncle dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Muhammad's uncle died?
2. What happened to Muhammad in Mecca at this time?
3. What is jihad?
4. Eventually, what happened to families regarding Islam?
5. What happened when the pilgrims from Yathrib returned in 622?
6. What happened after Muhammad moved to Medina?
7. What was the affect of the Badr?
8. What is a warner? Why does Muhammad believe that he is one of these?
9. What did the Quraysh do when Muhammad insisted on the worship of only one God?
10. When did Muhammad decide he could no longer stay in Mecca?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prior to Muhammad's experience with the angel Gabriel, there were no religious scriptures for the Arabs who worshiped al-Llah.
Part 1) How did Muhammad give religious scripture to Islam? Why was this important? How does this scripture compare to the scripture of the Jews and Christians?
Part 2) Why do these similarities exist? What is unique about the Quran? How is this significant?
Part 3) What do non-Muslims think about these similarities and differences? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Salman Rushdie published The Satanic Verses.
Part 1) Who is Salman Rushdie? Why did he publish The Satanic Verses?
Part 2) What was the reaction to these verses? How might these have affected Muslim relations with non-Muslims? Why?
Part 3) How does this attitude by Muslims towards Islam reflect the attitudes and actions of Muslims found throughout history? Why do these attitudes exist, and why do these actions take place?
Part 4) Have other religious groups or individuals had similar difficult situations? If so, when and why? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 3
The law between tribes was called muruwah.
Part 1) Describe this law. How did it affect unity? How did Muhammad change this?
Part 2) How did these tribes react to Muhammad's attempts and eventual success at change? Why? How do we act like these tribes today?
Part 3) What would Muhammad want to change about our society? Why? Could he be successful? Why or why not?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)