|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were these people the first to follow Muhammad?
(a) Because of their understanding of Muhammad's teachings.
(b) Because of their discontent with the Christian church.
(c) Because of their desire to share their wealth.
(d) Because of the hope Muhammad's teaching held for them.
2. During the first three years of his preaching, Muhammad developed a small group of followers. Why did they meet twice a day for prayer?
(a) To witness Muhammad's mystical experiences.
(b) To learn more about the Quran.
(c) To spend time with each other.
(d) The Quran was meant to be chanted in a group environment and not read in private.
3. When the harassment of the Muslims began again, what did the Muslims do?
(a) They went into hiding.
(b) They fought back.
(c) They committed suicide.
(d) They began to leave Mecca.
4. In Medina, he began to work for Arab unity. What happened to the Quran?
(a) It was not as useful as in the past.
(b) It stayed the same.
(c) It began to change as Muhammad became more involved in political issues.
(d) It began to become outdated.
5. Those who still opposed Islam tried to do what to Muhammad and his followers?
(a) Catch them.
(b) Run them out of town.
(c) Starve them.
(d) Torture them.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Muslims and the Jews were supposed to live in peace together. What decreed this peace?
2. To where was Muhammad looking to bring the Quran?
3. Since Muhammad had to fight to achieve his goals, Islam acquired what name?
4. Islam is based on the observance of customs or _________.
5. Is Jihad one of the five pillars of Islam?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe many of the references in the Quran. What is their purpose?
2. Why were the Muslims and Jews supposed to live in peace? What happened to the tribal society? How did this affect others?
3. Describe the raids done by those who had emigrated to Medina. How did this affect the Quran?
4. What did the Quraysh do when Muhammad insisted on the worship of only one God?
5. What did Salman Rushdie publish? What was the reaction to this?
6. What do the Muslims say is the cause for the acceptance of polytheism in the Quran? What happened when Muhammad started to demand monotheism after the removal of the passage regarding polytheism? How did various societies react to this demand?
7. What eventually happened to the alliance with the Jews? Why might this have happened?
8. What was the affect of the Badr?
9. What happened after Muhammad moved to Medina?
10. In terms of marriage, what did Muhammad do when his wife died?
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)