|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did muruwah prevent?
(c) Any form of Arab unity.
2. Is there a great deal of variety in Islam and its practices?
(c) Very little.
3. Why did the Muslim world react this way to The Satanic Verses?
(a) They gave an unfavorable view of non-Muslims.
(b) They gave an unfavorable view of the Prophet.
(c) These verses were unimportant.
(d) They gave a favorable view of the Prophet.
4. Was Arabia considered to be important to the world powers at this time?
(a) No, not important.
(b) Yes, somewhat important.
(c) Yes, fairly important.
(d) Yes, very important.
5. What is the Western view of Muhammad?
(a) He was the Messiah for the Arabs.
(b) He was Jesus' friend.
(c) He was an impostor who tried to deceive the world by portraying himself as a prophet.
(d) He was a prophet.
6. The view of the Muslim world changed to one that the Muslim world would never be conquered by war or missionary activities. What did it become important to do?
(a) Make fake negotiations with them.
(b) Fear them.
(c) Open a dialogue with the Muslims.
(d) Ignore them.
7. For how long did Muhammad preach?
(a) The next twenty-three years.
(b) The next fifteen years.
(c) The next twenty years.
(d) The next ten years.
8. Was Salman Rushdie's the first denunciation of the Prophet by a Muslim?
(d) Most likely.
9. The farmers provided the nomads with food. What did the nomadic tribes provide the farmers with?
10. This section examines ___________ the Prophet Muhammad and looks at how it developed.
(a) The love for.
(b) The fear of.
(c) The interest in.
(d) The hatred of.
11. The Arabs had a spiritual life under the muruwah and holy places like the shrines at Mecca and other places. The most important shrine was ________ at Mecca which played an important part in the life of Muhammad and other people.
(a) The Ka'aba.
(b) The Gnouia.
(c) The Jalal-ud-Din Rumi.
(d) The Mazar-e-Sharif.
12. Why did a monk tell his uncle to protect Muhammad?
(a) He had the mark of prophecy between his shoulder blades.
(b) He was very weak.
(c) He would be hated by most people.
(d) He was the Savior of the Arabs.
13. When Muhammad preached, did he have any intention of forming a new religion?
(c) Not at first.
(d) Only at first.
14. After his first encounter with the angel Gabriel, how did Muhammad react?
(a) He was strengthened.
(b) He was confused.
(c) He was terrified and wanted to commit suicide.
(d) He became mute.
15. With what was conversion to monotheism associated?
(a) Loss of political autonomy and subjugation to imperialistic control.
(b) A powerful God.
(d) Rules and laws.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Muhammad have an experience with an angel?
2. Muhammad founded a Muslim community. Who eventually accepted this?
3. There are many stories surrounding Muhammad's youth. Are any documented?
4. During the period of the Crusades, there were many attempts to convert the Muslims to Christianity. Who did the Christians do this with?
5. How was the Muslim Empire viewed?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)