|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Muslim religious authorities think about fatwa and the taking of lives?
(a) It must be done when necessary.
(b) Muhammad would approve of this behavior.
(c) They are illegal and against the teachings of Islam.
(d) They believe these acts are a part of the Quran.
2. What did the Arabs of the time believe in the coming of?
(c) An Arab prophet.
(d) The Messiah.
3. Was Salman Rushdie's the first denunciation of the Prophet by a Muslim?
(c) Most likely.
4. What is the Western view of Muhammad?
(a) He was Jesus' friend.
(b) He was a prophet.
(c) He was the Messiah for the Arabs.
(d) He was an impostor who tried to deceive the world by portraying himself as a prophet.
5. Were there common laws among the tribes?
(a) No, none.
(b) Yes, a few.
(c) Yes, many.
(d) None except that deaths were avenged by killing an equal number of members of the murderers' tribe.
6. What did Muhammad use to force people to convert to Islam?
(a) His sword.
(c) Threats of damnation.
7. To most Westerners, whom does Islam pertain to?
(a) The ignorant.
(b) The faithful.
(d) The radicals.
8. After reading the Quran, who did Luther feel was the real enemy?
(a) The Catholic Church and the pope.
(d) The Jews.
9. The various groups were united by blood. Why?
(a) They did not want to live any other way.
(b) It was the easiest form of unity.
(c) They knew no other way to survive.
(d) It was the only way they could survive.
10. What happened when Salman Rushdie published The Satanic Verses?
(a) The Muslim world ignored him.
(b) The Muslims imprisoned him.
(c) Muslims reacted positively.
(d) It caused an uproar in the Muslim world.
11. This section examines ___________ the Prophet Muhammad and looks at how it developed.
(a) The hatred of.
(b) The fear of.
(c) The love for.
(d) The interest in.
12. What is Jahiliyah used to describe?
(a) Arab society before Muhammad.
(b) Arab society after Khadija's death.
(c) Arab society after Muhammad's death.
(d) Arab society during Muhammad's period of preaching.
13. Where do most of the Western views of Islam come from?
(a) Experiences with Muslims in the West.
(b) War experiences.
(c) Reports in the media.
(d) Reading the Quran.
14. What does Jahiliyah mean?
(a) The period of pain.
(b) The period of understanding.
(c) The period of ignorance.
(d) The period of sadness.
15. What are many of the conditions and practices in the Islamic world typical of?
(a) The beliefs of nomadic tribes.
(b) Pagan cultures.
(c) Any modern society.
(d) Any pre-modern society.
Short Answer Questions
1. Christians have been reluctant to acknowledge that Muslims worship the same God as they and the Jews do. What do many of them view Islam as?
2. Why did Muhammad live with his uncle?
3. How did the Arabs view both Christianity and Judaism?
4. How was the Prophet Muhammad viewed?
5. When pregnant, Muhammad's mother was told something. What was she told?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)