|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Arabs made a yearly pilgrimage which began where and proceeded to the shrines of other gods?
(a) At the Mazar-e-Sharif.
(b) At the Gnouia.
(c) At the Ka'aba.
(d) At the Jalal-ud-Din Rumi.
2. When was the Quran compiled?
(a) In 850.
(b) In 550.
(c) In 750.
(d) In 650.
3. Did Muhammad perform miracles like Jesus?
(a) Yes, one.
(c) Yes, a few.
(d) Yes, many.
4. What did muruwah prevent?
(a) Any form of Arab unity.
5. What did the age of the Renaissance result in?
(a) More fighting.
(b) Less objectivity as thinkers were persecuted for defending the Muslims.
(c) Less negotiations, because the Christians decided to go to war instead.
(d) More objectivity as thinkers tried to develop an understanding of the Muslim world.
6. Is there a great deal of variety in Islam and its practices?
(c) Very little.
7. To what has Western behavior in the Islamic world led?
(a) The development of understanding between the West and the Islamic world.
(b) Unity between the West and Middle East.
(c) The development of Muslim extremists.
8. There was more understanding of Islam by the eighteenth century. How did Islam become accepted?
(a) As a form of Judaism.
(b) As a pagan religion.
(c) As a legitimate religion.
(d) As a form of Christianity.
9. What is Jahiliyah used to describe?
(a) Arab society after Khadija's death.
(b) Arab society during Muhammad's period of preaching.
(c) Arab society before Muhammad.
(d) Arab society after Muhammad's death.
10. Was the published version based on the order in which Muhammad preached the teachings?
(a) Very little of it.
(d) Most of it.
11. For how long did Muhammad preach?
(a) The next twenty years.
(b) The next ten years.
(c) The next fifteen years.
(d) The next twenty-three years.
12. With the revelation of ____________, he began to believe that he was the Prophet and that God was sending him the messages.
(b) Sura 87.
(c) Sura 101.
(d) Sura 93.
13. Did Muhammad write the suras of the Quran?
(a) Yes, he wrote most of the suras.
(b) No, because he was illiterate.
(c) Yes, he recited and wrote the suras.
(d) No, because he does not speak Arabic.
14. What period does the challenge of Islam to the West date back?
(a) The Ottoman Empire.
(b) The Persian Empire.
(c) The British Empire.
(d) The Roman Empire.
15. In what century did an Arab merchant named Muhammad live in Mecca?
(a) The seventh.
(b) The sixth.
(c) The ninth.
(d) The eighth.
Short Answer Questions
1. By the time of Muhammad's birth, there were three different divisions within his tribe. What were they based upon?
2. How did Muhammad's revelation differ from other forms of revelation?
3. Islam was viewed as a _____________ religion.
4. In the Quran, what is presented first?
5. Muhammad founded a Muslim community. Who eventually accepted this?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)