|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A New Direction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did these people feel threatened by Muhammad and his beliefs?
(a) Polytheism was a part of their culture and many of the gods represented protection.
(b) Polytheism was foreign to them.
(c) They did not want to believe in any god but al-Llah.
(d) They feared for their freedom.
2. By the time of Muhammad's birth, there were three different divisions within his tribe. What were they based upon?
3. Why did the Muslim world react this way to The Satanic Verses?
(a) They gave a favorable view of the Prophet.
(b) They gave an unfavorable view of the Prophet.
(c) These verses were unimportant.
(d) They gave an unfavorable view of non-Muslims.
4. There are many stories surrounding Muhammad's youth. Are any documented?
(a) Yes, a few.
(b) No, none.
(c) Yes, one.
(d) Yes, many.
5. Why was Muhammad called the unlettered prophet?
(a) Because of his illiteracy.
(b) Because he could not be taught to read.
(c) Because he could not write or read Arabic.
(d) Because he was blind and could not read.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much is known about the early life of Muhammad?
2. Where do most of the Western views of Islam come from?
3. What did Muslims feel that Rushdie's portrayal of the Quran indicate?
4. When did Muhammad's wife Khadija die?
5. What period does the challenge of Islam to the West date back?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)