|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Laura take with her when she went to Memphis?
2. Why did Laura go back to Memphis for a time?
3. Who did Mrs. Atwood want to kill?
4. What did Laura miss while in Memphis?
5. How was Jamie most harmed during the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ronsel want to stay in Europe when the war was over?
2. What was Ronsel's main task during the war in Europe?
3. How is Jamie harmed after the war?
4. How is Jamie comforted after making a fool of himself in town?
5. Why did Ronsel think he would be treated differently after returning from the war?
6. How does Jamie cope with how he is harmed after the war?
7. What surprise did Laura learn while visiting Memphis?
8. Who did Mrs. Atwood want to kill, and why?
9. What information does Laura give Ronsel when they meet, and how does he respond to this?
10. What happens to Laura while Mrs. Atwood threatens to kill someone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Atwood was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence- however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
There were a few different social and political ideals mentioned and discussed in this book. What were some of these ideals, and how did their presence in the book affect the main characters?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)