|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Ronsel and Jamie talk about when they are together?
2. What is Henry's father called?
3. Why did Ronsel elect to stay longer in Europe than he needed to?
4. What ruins Ronsel's reunion with his family?
5. How did Ronsel feel after his run in with Henry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry think will help with Jamie's injuries after the war?
2. What does Florence sense in Ronsel when he comes home from the war?
3. How does Jamie cope with how he is harmed after the war?
4. How did Laura feel when she first met Ronsel?
5. What does Henry do when he first meets Ronsel?
6. What happens to Laura while Mrs. Atwood threatens to kill someone?
7. What causes Jamie to make a fool of himself in town?
8. Why did Ronsel think he would be treated differently after returning from the war?
9. What surprise did Laura learn while visiting Memphis?
10. What information does Laura give Ronsel when they meet, and how does he respond to this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the characters most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters, and then write about their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Atwood was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence- however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)