|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who encouraged Henry to pursue Laura?
2. What did Henry buy after his brother-in-law died?
3. Where is Ronsel's unit called to fight?
4. Why did Henry's father sell his farm?
5. What did Ronsel have to put up with while training in the south?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Florence do in the farm house that makes Laura uncomfortable?
2. What did Mr. MacAllans make Hap do while he was recovering?
3. Why does Laura find a good doctor to treat Hap?
4. How did Hap break his leg?
5. What does Laura do to help with the war efforts?
6. What is the biggest obstacle standing in the way of the Jackson's goal?
7. What does the Jackson family want more than anything?
8. Why does Henry almost throw the Atwoods off their property?
9. Why does Hap think his mule broke his leg?
10. How did Henry avoid the draft for the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ronsel endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters, and then write about their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)