|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Pappy think Florence should sleep?
2. What did Ronsel have to put up with while training in the south?
3. What is wrong with the house on the farm?
4. Who is Henry digging a grave for at the beginning of the book?
5. What is Henry's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the big rumor spread about Dr. Turpin?
2. Why does Laura find a good doctor to treat Hap?
3. What is ironic about Ronsel signing up for the military?
4. Why does Hap think his mule broke his leg?
5. How did Laura feel on her thirtieth birthday?
6. Why does Henry almost throw the Atwoods off their property?
7. Why does Dr. Turpin make things worse for Hap and his injury?
8. What did Mr. MacAllans make Hap do while he was recovering?
9. Why did Henry want to buy a farm?
10. What causes Laura to not kick the Atwoods off the property?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Power and Greed were two common themes in this book. Where did they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 2
What does Laura hate about the farm, and how are each of these objections overcome through time?
Essay Topic 3
Love was a very important theme and motivating factor in this book. Which characters were most affected by this theme? Which relationships were the most significant to the plot and why?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)