|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Henry digging a grave for at the beginning of the book?
2. Why did Henry buy something after his brother-in-law died?
3. Why is Jamie rushing in what he is doing at the beginning of the book?
4. What did Henry do when he returned to town while courting Laura?
5. Why did Henry leave town while courting Laura?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Henry almost throw the Atwoods off their property?
2. How did Jamie almost die as a child?
3. What is ironic about Ronsel signing up for the military?
4. How did Laura feel on her thirtieth birthday?
5. What does the Jackson family want more than anything?
6. What did Mr. MacAllans make Hap do while he was recovering?
7. What causes Laura to not kick the Atwoods off the property?
8. What does Hap say to explain gunshots heard on the property one night?
9. How did Hap break his leg?
10. What upset Laura's life more than the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
What hopes does Ronsel have for his future, and what are the main obstacles he will have to overcome to achieve these goals?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)