• The first section of this book introduces the main characters one at a time using the first person narrative of those characters.
• Jamie starts: he is digging a grave for his father with his brother. They have to dig deep because of the rain.
• Laura thinks back to her 30th birthday when she had accepted that her life would be that of a spinster.
• She is surprised when she meets Henry who proposes. They have two children and are blissfully happy for 6 years.
• During the war, Jamie loses a finger to frostbite, but nobody else in Laura's family is harmed. She helps the effort by doing drives for bandages and silk stockings.
• As a child, Jamie almost drowned but was saved by Henry. He likes to hear Henry talk about WWI where he was wounded. Henry tells him to fight from a plane.
• Ronsel, a black man...
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)