|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Claudio read his written statement to after hearing about Hero's innocence?
2. Who does the constable of Messina choose as his assistant constable?
3. Where does Act 5, Scene 3 take place?
4. Why does Claudio refuse to fight Leonato at the beginning of Act 5?
5. What does Margaret make special mention of to Beatrice on the morning of Hero's wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Benedick do with the help of Margaret to try and show his love for Beatrice?
2. Who is the main instigator of the plan that got the two suspects in the jail arrested?
3. What does Hero scold Margaret for on the morning of her wedding?
4. Why does Beatrice say that she and Benedick cannot use the traditional form of wooing?
5. How do Leonato's unexpected visitors feel about what Leonato asks them to do as he leaves to attend his daughter's wedding?
6. What does Leonato think Claudio means when he first says he does not want to marry Hero during the wedding?
7. Who are the two suspects that Dogberry and Verges must interrogate?
8. What does Claudio think Hero has died of?
9. What is the final order that Dogberry gives his night watch before retiring to bed?
10. What does Dogberry tell his men on the night guard to do at the alehouses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Betrayal is a theme introduced at the very beginning of this play. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 2
Margaret is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What might happen differently if Margaret wasn't in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this play, and how do those moments affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)