|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dogberry think is a worse crime than the plot to dishonor Hero?
2. Who arrives to take Hero to the church?
3. What does the constable tell the night watch to do if they must sleep?
4. What is Claudio's response when asked if he wants to marry Hero during the wedding ceremony?
5. Why does Claudio refuse to fight Leonato at the beginning of Act 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who or what does Margaret praise on the morning of Hero's wedding?
2. How do Leonato's unexpected visitors feel about what Leonato asks them to do as he leaves to attend his daughter's wedding?
3. What question does Dogberry ask Seacoal when choosing him for his night guard?
4. What does Beatrice tease Hero about just before she heads to the church for her wedding?
5. How does Claudio learn about Hero's innocence?
6. What does one of the arrested men call Dogberry and Verges after their interrogation is complete?
7. What does Claudio think Hero has died of?
8. Why does Beatrice say that she and Benedick cannot use the traditional form of wooing?
9. What does Hero say she thinks may happen during her wedding?
10. Who steps up to give witness to the scandalous statement that Claudio makes about Hero at his wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Margaret is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What might happen differently if Margaret wasn't in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)