|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Margaret related to Hero?
2. What does Beatrice compare styles of love to at the beginning of Act 2?
3. What does Beatrice call Benedick as they dance together?
4. Who comes up with a new plan to destroy Hero and Claudio after they are engaged?
5. What does Don Pedro say in the orchard that is incredibly surprising to Benedick?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Borachio say after the party at Leonato's house that gets Don John very excited?
2. Why is Don John so eager to punish Claudio in particular?
3. What does Leonato think Claudio means when he first says he does not want to marry Hero during the wedding?
4. How often does Claudio promise to read his epitaph to Hero after her funeral?
5. What does Hero say she thinks may happen during her wedding?
6. What does Leonato warn Beatrice will keep her from ever finding a husband?
7. What does the Friar tell Hero to pretend to do as part of his plan to prove her innocence?
8. Who or what does Margaret praise on the morning of Hero's wedding?
9. What does Balthasar do to mourn Hero's death?
10. What does Leonato tell his unexpected visitors to do as he leaves to attend his daughter's wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This play takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Shakespeare have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Betrayal is a theme introduced at the very beginning of this play. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 3
Despair is a theme that is placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in the story?
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)