|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Constance's daughter who dies in Chapter 27?
2. Why was Randy Nolan brought to the Flannigans' house in Chapter 25?
3. Where do the McTavish brothers return from in Chapter 23?
4. How does Mike help Larry after his leg is amputated?
5. What does Miss Ivy accuse someone of doing during the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 26, what does Katherine's mother think of the life she has been living in Canada?
2. What memory does Katherine recall after Timmy Beauclaire's death?
3. What does Katherine develop a fascination for in Chapter 23 and how?
4. Before she dies, what does Constance ask Katherine to do?
5. What does Constance Beauclaire tell Katherine about her journey to North America from France?
6. What causes Oh-Be-Joyful to truly be joyful at the end of Chapter 20?
7. How do Katherine and Mike grieve after the death of his children? How does Katherine feel about Mike's method of grieving?
8. In Chapter 21, what does Oh-Be-Joyful say has caused difficulties in her relationship with Jonathan?
9. What does Jonathan come to see the Flannigans about in Chapter 28?
10. What do Georges and Connie play while on the sled in Chapter 28?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the reader learn about Native Canadian culture? What does Katherine learn, and how does she react to the differences between her own culture and the Native Canadian culture?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of death in the novel "Mrs. Mike." How do the Freedmans illustrate the theme of death in the novel? What do the characters think of death?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the struggles faced by Katherine throughout the novel. How does she deal with these obstacles? How does she overcome them? What causes these problems for her?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)