|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Katherine think Sarah's workroom smells like?
2. What does Mrs. Marlin claim about Katherine's newborn baby?
3. What does the male Beauclaire twin pretend to be in Chapter 28?
4. How was Cardinal murdered?
5. What illness becomes an epidemic in the village in Chapter 27?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Katherine and Mike take the children the day after adding Kate to their family?
2. What does Katherine realize about life as she is sewing in Chapter 28?
3. What kind of medicine does Mrs. Marlin come to Sarah for in Chapter 17? How does she explain to Katherine about giving Mrs. Marlin the medicine?
4. What does Katherine do when she becomes thirsty while out for a walk in Chapter 26?
5. Why is Anne forbidden from marrying Jonathan by the Mother Superior at the Mission? According to the Mother Superior, what is a "klooch"?
6. How do Katherine and Mike grieve after the death of his children? How does Katherine feel about Mike's method of grieving?
7. Describe Sarah's workroom in Chapter 17.
8. In Chapter 14, what does Constance say are the important things in life?
9. What plan does Katherine come up with to leave Canada and return to Boston?
10. What does Katherine develop a fascination for in Chapter 23 and how?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the reader learn about Native Canadian culture? What does Katherine learn, and how does she react to the differences between her own culture and the Native Canadian culture?
Essay Topic 2
"Mrs. Mike" is based on the real-life story of Katherine Mary Flannigan. Discuss her true story and why the authors might have felt it necessary to record her story in a novel.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the secondary characters of the novel. Who are they? What are their defining character traits? How are they related to Katherine? What are their roles in the novel?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)