|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Johnny Flaherty do?
2. What is Katherine's dog named?
3. Mike Flannigan works for _______________.
4. Who are the two people who seek a spot on one of the already packed dog sleds?
5. Aware of the approaching fire, where does Katherine run to in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is traveling in a train at the beginning of the novel? Where is she going?
2. How do Katherine and Mike try to sober up Johnny Flaherty in Chapter 2?
3. In Chapter 4, why does Katherine throw a fit when she finds out Mike wants to marry her?
4. What does Uncle John mean by "It will Chinook"?
5. What is strange about the garden that is planted outside Katherine and Mike's new home in Chapter 13?
6. When Katherine and Mrs. Mathers meet, how does Mrs. Mathers make a bad impression?
7. Why does Katherine ask to call Mrs. Carpentier by the name Sarah?
8. What does Sergeant Mike suggest Katherine can use for ammunition when she goes shooting?
9. What natural phenomenon does Katherine witness in Athabaska? What does Mike tell her about the phenomenon?
10. What does Katherine witness in Chapter 7 which makes her want to make life better for Indian women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the struggles faced by Katherine throughout the novel. How does she deal with these obstacles? How does she overcome them? What causes these problems for her?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of death in the novel "Mrs. Mike." How do the Freedmans illustrate the theme of death in the novel? What do the characters think of death?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the symbolism in the novel "Mrs. Mike." What are some examples of symbolism? What do the colors in the novel symbolize?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)