|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mildred's fiancé's name?
2. From what illness does Katherine suffer?
3. What alerts Katherine to the approaching fire in Chapter 11?
4. During the dog sled journey, what is the con man carrying in his chests?
5. Why does Katherine insist that Bull MacGregor should go to jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the Howards, Mike diagnoses Katherine with what condition? What does he suggest she do to help her condition?
2. When Mike finds Katherine after the fire, what does he do for her?
3. What does Uncle John mean by "It will Chinook"?
4. In Chapter 10, how is it explained that the people in the Northwest Territory are able to navigate themselves from one place to another?
5. What causes the wolves to cry so much in Chapter 6?
6. What does Atenou tell Ralph about his wisdom tooth?
7. What does Katherine witness in Chapter 7 which makes her want to make life better for Indian women?
8. How do Katherine and Mike try to sober up Johnny Flaherty in Chapter 2?
9. What Indian tradition does Mike teach Katherine about in Chapter 3?
10. How do Katherine's weekly luncheons and tea parties get started?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the historical context of the novel "Mrs. Mike." What major events were taking place during the time period in which this novel is set? How do these real events affect the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conclusion of the novel "Mrs. Mike." Are you satisfied with the ending? Why or why not? Is the conclusion a happy one? Are there any unanswered questions? Would you change anything?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the examples of imagery in the novel. What are some examples, and do they have any symbolic meaning attached to them? What sort of image do the Freedmans create of the wilderness? How does the imagery of Boston when Katherine returns there contrast with the imagery of the Northern Canadian landscape?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)