|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city is Katherine from?
2. How old is Katherine at the beginning of the novel?
3. What does Mike tell Katherine about as they lay outside on a blanket in Chapter 10?
4. Where does Mike tell Katherine she will be safe from the fire?
5. Mike Flannigan works for _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Katherine witness in Chapter 7 which makes her want to make life better for Indian women?
2. What does Mike take Katherine hiking to see when the thaw begins in March? What does Mike point out to Katherine along the way which puts her in awe?
3. What Indian tradition does Mike teach Katherine about in Chapter 3?
4. Why does Katherine ask to call Mrs. Carpentier by the name Sarah?
5. In Chapter 10, how is it explained that the people in the Northwest Territory are able to navigate themselves from one place to another?
6. What causes the wolves to cry so much in Chapter 6?
7. In Chapter 8, what do Katherine and Mike discover has happened to the cheesecloth they provided for Chief Mustagan's windows?
8. How does Katherine's medical condition interfere with her fun in Chapter 2?
9. How do Katherine and Mike try to sober up Johnny Flaherty in Chapter 2?
10. In Chapter 4, why does Katherine throw a fit when she finds out Mike wants to marry her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Mrs. Mike." Describe the families of Katherine, Constance, and others. Is family important to Katherine? What does Constance mean when she talks about having more than one family?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of death in the novel "Mrs. Mike." How do the Freedmans illustrate the theme of death in the novel? What do the characters think of death?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character Mike. Who is Mike? What are his defining character traits? How does he influence the life of Katherine, the protagonist? Is he a good husband and father? Why or why not?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)