|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Canadian city is Katherine headed to by train?
2. In Chapter 13, what is the first landmark Katherine notices in her new town?
3. Why does Katherine become angry with Mike in Chapter 12?
4. What kind of pie does Katherine prepare in Chapter 2?
5. What does Katherine witness an Indian man making a woman do in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Joe Henderson's family in the fire? Who does he blame?
2. Why has Katherine been sent to stay with her uncle in Canada?
3. In Chapter 4, why does Katherine throw a fit when she finds out Mike wants to marry her?
4. What does Mike take Katherine hiking to see when the thaw begins in March? What does Mike point out to Katherine along the way which puts her in awe?
5. What does Sergeant Mike suggest Katherine can use for ammunition when she goes shooting?
6. What does Katherine think when she sees Mike's red uniform?
7. In Chapter 9, how do Katherine and Mike help Atenou with his dental problem?
8. What Indian tradition does Mike teach Katherine about in Chapter 3?
9. What causes delays in Katherine's trip in Chapter 1?
10. How do Katherine and Mike try to sober up Johnny Flaherty in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the historical context of the novel "Mrs. Mike." What major events were taking place during the time period in which this novel is set? How do these real events affect the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the symbolism in the novel "Mrs. Mike." What are some examples of symbolism? What do the colors in the novel symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of motherhood in the novel "Mrs. Mike. " How does motherhood change Katherine? Is Katherine a good mother? Why or why not? How does Katherine grieve the death of her children?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)