|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What interferes in Katherine's and Mildred's horse racing?
(a) Mildred becomes dizzy.
(b) Pain from Katherine's pleurisy.
(c) A horse injury.
(d) A nasty storm.
2. What job does Johnny Flaherty do?
(a) Johnny is a carpenter.
(b) Johnny is a park ranger.
(c) Johnny is a teacher.
(d) Johnny is a cook.
3. Which of the following is NOT something Mike says can be done using clues from nature?
(a) Figure out one's path in life.
(b) Predict weather.
(c) Figure out one's direction.
(d) Figure out the time.
4. What is Katherine's surname?
5. Where do Katherine and Mike go to together in Chapter 4?
(a) The general store.
(b) A doctor's home.
(c) A dance.
(d) The nearest village.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, where has Mike been newly posted to work?
2. How does Katherine feel after Atenou sells Ralph his wisdom tooth?
3. What alerts Katherine to the approaching fire in Chapter 11?
4. How does Joe react when he learns his son has died?
5. Whom does Joe blame for Tommy's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What Indian tradition does Mike teach Katherine about in Chapter 3?
2. How do Katherine and Mike try to sober up Johnny Flaherty in Chapter 2?
3. Where must Katherine and Mike travel in Chapter 5? Why must they go, and how will they get there?
4. In Chapter 10, how is it explained that the people in the Northwest Territory are able to navigate themselves from one place to another?
5. Why does Katherine ask to call Mrs. Carpentier by the name Sarah?
6. What does Katherine think about to keep from thinking about her mother in Chapter 1?
7. At the Howards, Mike diagnoses Katherine with what condition? What does he suggest she do to help her condition?
8. When Katherine's baby is born, what does Mrs. Carpentier diaper it in? How much experience does Mrs. Carpentier have as a midwife?
9. When Katherine and Mrs. Mathers meet, how does Mrs. Mathers make a bad impression?
10. Who is Ralph Peters and why has he come to the Northwest Territory?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)