|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jonathan ask Mike and Katherine to do for his baby?
(a) Help him raise it.
(b) Adopt it.
(c) Take it to Boston.
(d) Nurse it back to health.
2. What vegetable is a feast held in honor of in Chapter 21?
3. In Chapter 21, how does Oh-Be-Joyful say Jonathan wanted his woman to understand him?
(a) With her mind.
(b) With her heart.
(c) With her soul.
(d) With her stomach.
4. Whom does Sarah try to keep from entering the room after Katherine gives birth?
(a) Mrs. Marlin.
(d) Mary Aroon.
5. What does the male Beauclaire twin pretend to be in Chapter 28?
(a) A ship captain.
(b) An explorer.
(c) A fisherman.
(d) A pirate.
6. What does Constance want to borrow from Katherine in Chapter 14?
(d) Some thread.
7. In Chapter 19, what does Larry give the Flannigans as a thank you for their help?
(a) Ten jars of preserves.
(b) Half a cow.
(c) A clock.
(d) A dog.
8. What does Katherine admit to Oh-Be-Joyful about Jonathan in Chapter 21?
(a) Jonathan plans to leave Grouard.
(b) Jonathan wants to join the police force.
(c) Katherine likes Jonathan.
(d) Katherine saw Jonathan steal.
9. What does Father Grouard provide Larry with after his amputation?
(b) A cane.
(c) A wheel chair.
(d) A wooden leg.
10. Katherine goes up to a mansion to ask for _____________.
(a) A lantern.
(b) A glass of water.
(c) Appropriate footwear.
11. What does Cardinal accuse Jonathan of doing in Chapter 16?
(a) Stealing Cardinal's equipment.
(b) Setting Cardinal's camp on fire.
(c) Poisoning the well.
(d) Stealing from Cardinal's traps.
12. What is Katherine's mother's name?
13. What illness becomes an epidemic in the community in Chapter 23?
(b) Scarlet fever.
14. What does Katherine find warm and beautiful at the Mission?
(a) The portraits of dignitaries on the wall.
(b) The kindness of the people there.
(c) The crude religious decorations.
(d) The hearth.
15. What illness becomes an epidemic in the village in Chapter 27?
(c) Bubonic plague.
Short Answer Questions
1. What seems artificial and harsh to Katherine at the homecoming party?
2. What goes on outdoors as Katherine is giving birth to her son?
3. How does Constance's daughter die in Chapter 27?
4. What frustrates Katherine after her children die?
5. Who did Jonathan's father wage a war against?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)