|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Katherine and Mike go to together in Chapter 4?
(a) The general store.
(b) The nearest village.
(c) A doctor's home.
(d) A dance.
2. Whom is Katherine going to stay with in Canada?
(a) Uncle John.
(b) Uncle James.
(c) Uncle Matthew.
(d) Uncle Thomas.
3. What kind of story does Mike tell to explain the North Star to Katherine?
(a) An unrelated story to change the topic.
(b) A scientific explanation.
(c) A creation myth.
(d) An Indian legend.
4. What animal does Mike locate sleeping under a snow bank in Chapter 7?
(a) A bear.
(b) A wolf.
(c) A moose.
(d) A beaver.
5. How old is Katherine at the beginning of the novel?
6. In Chapter 1, what does Katherine find out caused many cattle to die?
(b) A hunting spree.
(d) A virus.
7. Mike says that Father Lacombe, the first white man in the Territory, has attempted to teach the Indians about ____________.
(a) Radio programs.
(b) Eating manners.
(c) Fashion in other areas of the world.
(d) Garbage cans.
8. What does Mike tell Katherine about as they lay outside on a blanket in Chapter 10?
(a) Their future.
(b) His childhood.
9. How did Katherine sneak her dog into the passenger coach?
(a) She hid it under her long dress.
(b) She hid it under her blanket.
(c) She hid the dog in her lunch basket.
(d) She hid it in her coat.
10. Why does Katherine insist that Bull MacGregor should go to jail?
(a) He kills an innocent animal.
(b) He steals from the store.
(c) He beats a woman.
(d) He breaks her property.
11. What is Mildred's surname?
12. What does Uncle John talk about Johnny making during the war when they were on patrol?
(b) Pigs in a blanket.
(d) His own beer.
13. What does Katherine hear coming from outside the Howards' home in Chapter 6?
(a) Wolves crying.
(b) A cat meowing.
(c) Crows cawing.
(d) A coyote whimpering.
14. What do the Flannigans name their daughter?
15. What is a Chinook?
(a) A violent storm.
(b) A cold breeze.
(c) An extremely hot day.
(d) A warm wind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of dog does Katherine have?
2. What ailment does Mike diagnose Katherine with when they reach the Howards?
3. What is Ralph's surname?
4. What is the name of the family that runs the store in Katherine's new town?
5. What animal do Katherine and Mike find stuck in a trap?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)