• Sixteen year old Katherine Mary O'Fallon is travelling from Boston, Massachusetts, to Calgary, Alberta.
• She sneaked Juno, her cocker spaniel puppy, into the passenger coach with her.
• Katherine is going to stay with her Uncle John for an extended visit.
• Katherine's doctor's recommended she go to Alberta for her health. The dry, cold winter may help her pleurisy.
• The weather is bad. A winter storm is slowing her journey.
• Katherine thinks about the home she has left behind and a blind woman who boarded with Katherine's family.
• Katherine cries while eating cookies her mother made for her.
• Katherine meets her uncle and grows comfortable listening to his stories.
• Uncle John tells Katherine about the Chinook winds. The great amounts of snow will melt and cause flooding.
• Katherine learns that many cattle have died due to the flooding.
Chapters Two through Four
• Katherine meets Johnny Flaherty, Uncle...
This section contains 2,307 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)