|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mr. Popper go at the end of the first walk with Captain Cook?
2. How does Mr. Popper feel when he sees the reporters?
3. What does Captain Cook do when he gets to the top of the stairway?
4. Where does the policeman tell Mr. Popper to get what he needs to keep the penguin?
5. What does the policeman tell Mr. Popper to get?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Captain Cook like most in the barber shop, and why?
2. Why is Mrs. Popper so unhappy when she sees the first penguin?
3. What does Mrs. Popper always serve for dinner, and why?
4. Where does the penguin sleep the first night at the Popper's, and what does Mr. Popper think of this?
5. What does Captain Cook do after leaving the barber shop?
6. How does Mr. Popper handle Captain Cook on a walk?
7. Describe the package from Admiral Drake when it first arrives.
8. What happens when Captain Cook comes into the barber shop?
9. Why does a police man come to Mr. Popper's house?
10. How does Mr. Popper ruin his clothes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Atwater have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord. What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)