|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mr. Popper get Captain Cook out of the barber shop?
(a) He lures him out with the shaving cream.
(b) He carries him.
(c) He whistles for him.
(d) He pulls him on a leash.
2. What is Mrs. Callahan holding when she first sees Captain Cook?
(a) A glass jar.
(b) Some flowers.
(d) A back pack.
3. Which of the following is NOT collected by Captain Cook during his wanders through the house?
(b) A lollipop.
(c) A paperweight.
(d) Chess pieces.
4. What do neighbors do to help Captain Cook when he is sick?
(a) Write letters.
(b) Stay quiet.
(c) Bring treats.
(d) Raise money.
5. What does Captain Hook like the most about the barber shop?
(a) The spinning sign.
(b) The hair gel.
(c) Shaving cream.
(d) Hair clippings on the floor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the veterinarian have little hope of helping Captain Cook?
2. How many times has Mr. Popper redecorated his house?
3. How does Mr. Popper describe the first penguin from Admiral Drake?
4. What does the first penguin do when Mrs. Popper first sees him?
5. How many children does Mr. Popper have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Popper respond to the reporters who ask him about Captain Cook?
2. How does Admiral Drake show that he knows of Mr. Popper?
3. Why is Mr. Popper so excited on the 29th at the beginning of the book?
4. Where does the penguin sleep the first night at the Popper's, and what does Mr. Popper think of this?
5. Describe the package from Admiral Drake when it first arrives.
6. Who is Admiral Drake?
7. How does Mr. Popper handle Captain Cook on a walk?
8. How does Mrs. Popper feel when she sees what Captain Cook has collected for his nest?
9. Why is Mrs. Popper so unhappy when she sees the first penguin?
10. What does Mrs. Popper always serve for dinner, and why?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)