Chapters 1 and 2
• Mr. Popper is a house painter who has always dreamed of traveling to exotic places like Antarctica, but has never actually left his hometown.
• He has a good job, a lovely wife, and 2 children, but feels that he wants more. Winter is coming, which is the season he can't work.
• He spends his spare time reading books and watching movies about explorers and places like Antarctica and the animals that live there.
• He gets excited to hear a radio address from Admiral Drake, an explorer to whom he has written letters.
• On the radio broadcast, Admiral Drake announces that he has a special surprise for Mr. Popper in response to his many letters.
• Mr. Popper wonders what the surprise is, and Mrs. Popper worries about her meeting of the Ladies Aid Society the next day.
Chapters 3 and 4
• The package from Admiral Drake arrives, and Mr. Popper...
This section contains 1,448 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)