|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hornblower land after the fire ship incident?
2. What will happen if Hornblower fails his lieutenant examination?
3. Who does Hornblower talk with for hours when he goes to shore after the fire ship incident?
4. What starts heading towards Hornblower during the lieutenant examination?
5. Who does Hammond challenge to a duel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Kitty Cobham?
2. What do Pouzauges and his men do when they get to Muzzilac?
3. How does Hornblower get on board the Spanish Galley?
4. What does Hornblower think when he sees the size of the the army invading France?
5. What does Hornblower and his crew have to do after loading all the cattle into the ship?
6. What does Hornblower do when he sees a Spanish ship wrecked on the rocks while he is still in prison?
7. Why are Hornblower and Foster so afraid they will drown when they jump off of the fire ship?
8. Why does Foster challenge Hammond to a duel?
9. On what grounds is Hornblower released from prison?
10. What was the main objective for Pouzages supposed to be when he entered Muzzilac?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did religion fit into the plot of this novel, and what effect did religion have on the course of the storyline?
Essay Topic 2
Valor was a theme of this book that was very important to many of the characters involved. Where did this theme of valor present itself and how did these occurrences affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)