|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Hornblower sets about repairing on board his first captured vessel?
2. Who wins the game that the sailors play while Hornblower is on shore for the first time since joining the Navy?
3. What does Hales say before the attack on the Papillon?
4. What weapon does Hornblower choose to use in his duel with Simpson?
5. What was the ship that finds Hornblower after he loses the Marie Galant designed to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the rules set out for the duel between Simpson and Hornblower?
2. What does Hornblower do when he sees the Indefatigable coming towards the Pique?
3. What is Hornblower's main concern when he is told his part in Captain Pellew's plan to attack the Papillon and what does he do about it?
4. What does Masters do with the pistols used in the duel between Simpson and Hornblower, and why?
5. What does Hornblower threaten to do to any man that stands in the way of his sailing after losing the Marie Galant?
6. What does Captain Pellew say to Hornblower when he hears of his experience with the Marie Galant?
7. What does Hornblower order the crew to do when he knows the ship is lost?
8. What is the plan that Captain Pellew concocts to attack the Papillon?
9. What does Hornblower threaten to do when he sees something in the cable tier one night?
10. What strange news does Finch tell Hornblower?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in the plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)