|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Hales as the boats near the Papillon before the attack?
2. What rumors are being spread about the man who joins Hornblower in the place he goes for solitude?
3. When is the devil usually seen by the man who joins Hornblower in his place of solitude?
4. What position does Hornblower take when a strange French sail is seen in the distance?
5. What are crews called that take captured vessels into port?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hornblower find in the cable tier one night?
2. Where does Hornblower plan to sail to after losing the Marie Galant?
3. What does Hornblower contemplate doing when Simpson's hazing gets worse and worse?
4. What are the rules set out for the duel between Simpson and Hornblower?
5. What does Hornblower threaten to do when he sees something in the cable tier one night?
6. What happens when the Pique sees the Indefatigable coming towards them and why?
7. What does the Papillon do in an attempt to hide from the Indefatigable?
8. What is Hornblower's part in Captain Pellew's plan to attack the Papillon?
9. What does the crew of the Marie Galant see as they are sailing away from their ship?
10. How does Hornblower save Finch's life during the battle with the ship with the strange French sails?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Forester have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Edrington and Pouzanges were two characters who held the same office in the military, but were markedly different in other ways. Use some examples from the text to compare and contrast these two dynamic characters.
Essay Topic 3
Valor was a theme of this book that was very important to many of the characters involved. Where did this theme of valor present itself and how did these occurrences affect the characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)