|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country is the ship from that finds Hornblower after he loses the Marie Galant?
2. What is the name of the boat that Hornblower uses to approach the Papillon before the attack?
3. What is Hornblower unwilling to do in his duel with Simpson?
4. What is the first captured ship Hornblower is given command of carrying?
5. What does Hornblower spend his time doing while on board the ship that finds him after losing the Marie Galant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hornblower threaten to do to any man that stands in the way of his sailing after losing the Marie Galant?
2. What does Hornblower do when his captured ship starts sailing sluggishly, and what surprising news do they find?
3. Why does Simpson take such a strong disliking towards Hornblower?
4. What does Hornblower contemplate doing when Simpson's hazing gets worse and worse?
5. What happens when the Pique sees the Indefatigable coming towards them and why?
6. What is Hornblower's part in Captain Pellew's plan to attack the Papillon?
7. What does Keene suggest Hornblower to do after his duel with Simpson?
8. What happens to Hornblower during the battle against the ship with the strange French sail?
9. What is the duty of the Indefatigable out at sea?
10. How does Hornblower save Finch's life during the battle with the ship with the strange French sails?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)