|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the French town where Hornblower acts as a liaison?
(a) Mont Mourge.
2. How long will Hornblower have to wait to take the lieutenant examination again if he fails it the first time?
(a) 6 months.
(b) 60 days.
(c) 6 days.
(d) 6 weeks.
3. On what grounds is Hornblower released from prison?
(a) Integrity and Valor.
(b) Bravery and Honesty.
(c) Decency and Patriotism.
(d) Courage and Honor.
4. What happens to Hornblower during his lieutenant examination?
(a) He gets nervous and stammers.
(b) He faints.
(c) He is accused of cheating.
(d) He does extremely well.
5. Who is the captain of the ship who rescues Hornblower after he rescues men from the wrecked ship?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Duchess's real name?
2. Where are the retreating soldiers ferried to?
3. What is the Indefatigable doing when Spain makes peace with France?
4. Who does Hammond challenge to a duel?
5. Who is ordered to accompany Hornblower on his way to England after taking in the Le Reve?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hornblower capture the Spanish ship while he is heading to deliver the cargo of cattle to the British fleet?
2. What is the cause of the strange occurrences Hornblower witnesses when he goes on shore to trade for cattle, and who discovers it?
3. Who is Hornblower ordered to accompany back to England after the dinner, and how does Hornblower feel about this?
4. How does Hornblower feel about his fancy dinner at the Government house?
5. What is Hornblower scolded for when he delivers the cattle to the British fleet?
6. What do Pouzauges and his men do when they get to Muzzilac?
7. What strange occurrences does Hornblower witness when he goes on shore to trade for cattle?
8. Why does Hornblower consider the fire ship to be a fortunate circumstance for him?
9. How are the Spanish Galleys different than ordinary ships?
10. What does Hornblower do when he sees a Spanish ship wrecked on the rocks while he is still in prison?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)