|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Hornblower place second in command to himself during the attack on the Papillon?
2. Which of the following is NOT a man assigned to Hornblower's crew to take the captured ship to shore?
3. How long is the first captured ship Hornblower is given command of taking on water before the damage is discovered?
(a) 2 days.
(b) 2 hours.
(c) 20 hours.
(d) 2 weeks.
4. What is strange about Hornblower's age when he first enters the Navy?
(a) He is older than usual.
(b) He is younger than usual.
(c) He seems wise beyond his years.
(d) He is small for his age.
5. How many English sailors are with Hornblower after losing the Marie Galant?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the ship that finds Hornblower after he loses the Marie Galant designed to do?
2. What injury does Hornblower receive during the battle on the Papillon?
3. What does Hornblower spend his time doing while on board the ship that finds him after losing the Marie Galant?
4. Which of Hornblower's men does he begin to worry about after the attack of the Papillon?
5. Who does Hornblower ask about the man he is worried about after the attack on the Papillon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hornblower contemplate doing when Simpson's hazing gets worse and worse?
2. What is the Marie Galant carrying, and why is this so shocking to Hornblower?
3. What does Masters do with the pistols used in the duel between Simpson and Hornblower, and why?
4. What does Hornblower order the crew to do when he knows the ship is lost?
5. What does Hornblower find in the cable tier one night?
6. What does Hornblower do when he sees the Indefatigable coming towards the Pique?
7. Where does Hornblower go to get some solitude on the ship, and who joins him sometimes?
8. What is Hornblower's part in Captain Pellew's plan to attack the Papillon?
9. What does Hornblower realize as he and his crew are sailing away aboard the Papillon?
10. What happens when the Pique sees the Indefatigable coming towards them and why?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)