|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is strange about Hornblower's age when he first enters the Navy?
(a) He is younger than usual.
(b) He is older than usual.
(c) He seems wise beyond his years.
(d) He is small for his age.
2. What happens to the mizzen during the attack against the strange French ship?
(a) It burns to the ground.
(b) It falls to the deck.
(c) It punctures the French ship.
(d) It falls into the ocean.
3. What does Hornblower do when he suspects the hull of the captured ship was breached?
(a) Checks for holes.
(b) Measures the gait in the water.
(c) Sounds the well.
(d) Asks the crew of the ship.
4. What do the sailors play while Hornblower is on shore for the first time since joining the Navy?
5. What is the name of the ship that finds Hornblower after he loses the Marie Galant?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the captain of the ship that finds Hornblower after he loses the Marie Galant?
2. When is the devil usually seen by the man who joins Hornblower in his place of solitude?
3. Which part of the boat does Hornblower confine the French men to after losing the Marie Galant?
4. What are crews called that take captured vessels into port?
5. Who is sent to help Hornblower in his position when a strange French sail is seen in the distance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Hales as the boats near the Papillon before the attack?
2. What does the Papillon do in an attempt to hide from the Indefatigable?
3. Where does Hornblower plan to sail to after losing the Marie Galant?
4. What does Hornblower realize as he and his crew are sailing away aboard the Papillon?
5. Why does Simpson take such a strong disliking towards Hornblower?
6. How does Hornblower punish himself for the mistakes he made in losing the Marie Galant?
7. What does Captain Pellew say to Hornblower when he hears of his experience with the Marie Galant?
8. What happens to Hornblower during the battle against the ship with the strange French sail?
9. What does Hornblower do when he sees the Indefatigable coming towards the Pique?
10. What does Keene suggest Hornblower to do after his duel with Simpson?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)