|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hornblower's partner on shore realize when the trade commissioner falls ill?
(a) They will all soon be dead.
(b) The plague is there on shore.
(c) The leadership has been cruel.
(d) They are all starving.
2. What does Hornblower see a man at the dock do when he goes ashore after the fire ship incident?
(a) Stow away aboard a ship.
(b) Stagger around and pass out.
(c) Kick a child.
(d) Steal a loaf of bread from a merchant.
3. What causes Hornblower to change his course after leaving Gibraltar?
(a) A change in the wind.
(b) A Spanish fleet.
(c) A storm.
4. Who will lead the Indefatigable as they transport the special cargo?
5. Who is ordered to accompany Hornblower on his way to England after taking in the Le Reve?
(a) Lady Dalmyner.
(b) Duchess of Wharfedale.
(c) Duchess of Yorkshire.
(d) Lady Dalrymple.
6. What does Hornblower see a rat do when he goes ashore after the fire ship incident?
(a) Jump into the ocean and sink.
(b) Gnaw a hole in a grain sack.
(c) Bite a man's toe.
(d) Stagger around in broad daylight.
7. What is the name of the ship that Hornblower loads the cargo from shore onto?
8. Who is leading the army that attacks the village where Hornblower is acting as a liaison?
(d) King George.
9. Who is with Hornblower when he sees a Spanish ship wrecked on the rocks while he is in prison?
(a) The commandant.
(b) The General.
(c) Another prisoner.
(d) The Garrison.
10. What starts heading towards Hornblower during the lieutenant examination?
(a) A medical emergency.
(b) An enemy vessel.
(c) A large storm.
(d) A fire ship.
11. What is the name of the man leading the French part of the special cargo that the Indefatigable is to transport?
12. Where does Hornblower sleep while acting as a liaison between the English and French officers?
(a) A hammock.
(b) On the floor.
(c) In a tavern.
(d) A bed.
13. How long will the ship's crew have to stand in quarantine after Hornblower's strange experience on shore?
(a) 3 months.
(b) 3 weeks.
(c) 3 days.
(d) 30 days.
14. Who does Hornblower talk with for hours when he goes to shore after the fire ship incident?
(a) Mr. Duras.
(b) Mr. Dummin.
(c) Mr. Dumas.
(d) Mr. Durran.
15. What is the Duchess's real name?
(a) Kate Crossman.
(b) Katherine Carlisle.
(c) Kitty Cobham.
(d) Katy Cringle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the board of examiners and Hornblower head when the lieutenant examination is cut short?
2. What kinds of ships is the Indefatigable trying to protect against the Spanish Galleys?
3. Where is Hornblower supposed to take the cargo he purchased on shore?
4. Who is the senior officer of the board of examiners?
5. Who sends Hornblower a letter while he is in prison?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)