|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many men does Hornblower rescue from the wrecked Spanish ship?
2. What happens to Hornblower during his lieutenant examination?
(a) He gets nervous and stammers.
(b) He is accused of cheating.
(c) He does extremely well.
(d) He faints.
3. What kind of accent does the Duchess of Wharfedale have?
(a) Seven Dials.
4. Where does Hornblower hear the Spanish fleet battling the British fleet?
(a) Off the Cape of Good Hope.
(b) In the line of the trade route to China.
(c) Just off the shore of Gibraltar.
(d) Off the Cape of St. Vincent.
5. What strange item is unloaded from the ship with the other special cargo carried on the Indefatigable?
(a) A coffin.
(b) A black metal box.
(c) An American flag.
(d) A guillotine.
6. On what grounds is Hornblower released from prison?
(a) Decency and Patriotism.
(b) Bravery and Honesty.
(c) Courage and Honor.
(d) Integrity and Valor.
7. Where does Hornblower land after the fire ship incident?
(a) Shores of Oman.
(b) Port of Oman.
(c) Bay of Oman.
(d) Gulf of Oman.
8. Who is with Hornblower when he sees a Spanish ship wrecked on the rocks while he is in prison?
(a) The General.
(b) The commandant.
(c) The Garrison.
(d) Another prisoner.
9. Where does the Duchess offer to hide the dispatches when the Spanish ship closes on them?
(a) In her corset.
(b) Under her hat.
(c) In her petticoats.
(d) In her luggage.
10. Who does Hornblower talk with for hours when he goes to shore after the fire ship incident?
(a) Mr. Durran.
(b) Mr. Duras.
(c) Mr. Dummin.
(d) Mr. Dumas.
11. How does Hornblower get on board the Spanish Galley?
(a) He swings on board with a mast rope.
(b) He climbs the grapple.
(c) He uses an oar.
(d) He scales the port windows.
12. What powers the Spanish Galleys?
(b) Steam power.
(c) Slaves at oars.
(d) A motorized rudder.
13. What is the name of the ship that Hornblower loads the cargo from shore onto?
14. Where are the retreating soldiers ferried to?
(a) The Papillon.
(b) The Marie Galant.
(c) The Justinian.
(d) The Indefatigable.
15. What does Hornblower's crew enjoy each day while in quarantine?
(a) Swims in the bay.
(c) Free time.
(d) Beef steaks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Indefatigable first land while transporting the special cargo?
2. How does the Spanish Galley destroy the longboat?
3. What rank do the men on the board of examiners hold?
4. What does Hornblower note sadly about the battle he witnessed while acting as a liaison?
5. Who sends Hornblower a letter while he is in prison?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)