|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Hornblower's men does he begin to worry about after the attack of the Papillon?
2. How many men are present when Hornblower discovers where the man he was worried about got his injuries?
3. Who loses the game that the sailors play while Hornblower is on shore for the first time since joining the Navy?
4. How old is Hornblower when he first enters the Navy?
5. What is Hornblower assigned to help with his first time back on shore after joining the Navy?
(a) A press gang.
(b) A trading embargo.
(c) A spy operation.
(d) A guard duty.
6. What do the sailors play while Hornblower is on shore for the first time since joining the Navy?
7. Which of the following is NOT seen by a sailor in the maintop just before the battle with a strange French ship begins?
(b) A spy.
8. How long is the first captured ship Hornblower is given command of taking on water before the damage is discovered?
(a) 20 hours.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 2 days.
(d) 2 hours.
9. How is the ship with the strange French sails defeated?
(a) A truce between the captains.
(b) Boarding maneuver.
(c) Heavy cannon fire.
(d) The murder of the French captain.
10. Where does Hornblower place the crew of the first captured vessel he is given command of?
(a) Poop deck.
11. What kind of ship is the one that first finds Hornblower after he loses the Marie Galant?
(c) Ship of the Line.
12. Where does Hornblower plan to sail after losing the Marie Galant?
(a) To the Indefatigable.
(b) To the nearest port.
(c) An English port.
(d) To the naval base.
13. What is Hornblower unwilling to do in his duel with Simpson?
(a) Back out of the duel.
(b) Fight unfairly.
(d) Kill Simpson.
14. What are crews called that take captured vessels into port?
(a) Risk crews.
(b) Merchant crews.
(c) Prize crews.
(d) Capture crews.
15. Which part of the boat does Hornblower confine the French men to after losing the Marie Galant?
(a) The bow.
(b) The harbor.
(c) The starboard.
(d) The port.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position does Hornblower take when a strange French sail is seen in the distance?
2. Who tells Hornblower to report to the captain while the Papillon is hiding from the Indefatigable?
3. What happens to the first captured ship Hornblower is given command over when he and the crew abandon the ship?
4. Where does the French captain want Hornblower to sail after losing the Marie Galant?
5. What excuse is given by the man Hornblower is worried about after the attack on the Papillon?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)