|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT seen by a sailor in the maintop just before the battle with a strange French ship begins?
(b) A spy.
2. How long is the first captured ship Hornblower is given command of taking on water before the damage is discovered?
(a) 2 days.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 20 hours.
(d) 2 hours.
3. Who is left behind when the Papillon is taken?
4. What does Hornblower threaten to do to men that disrupt his sailing after losing the Marie Galant?
(a) Put them in charge.
(b) Kill them.
(c) Arrest them.
(d) Throw them overboard.
5. What does Pellew say to Hornblower after hearing about his experience with the Marie Galant?
(a) He was courageous.
(b) He was responsible.
(c) He was foolish.
(d) He was inexperienced.
6. Who does Hornblower ask about the man he is worried about after the attack on the Papillon?
(a) The captain.
(b) The man.
(c) The doctor.
(d) The cook.
7. Who tells Hornblower to report to the captain while the Papillon is hiding from the Indefatigable?
8. What do the sailors play while Hornblower is on shore for the first time since joining the Navy?
9. Where does Hornblower go to find solitude on the ship?
(a) His bunk.
(b) The galley.
(c) The mizzen top.
(d) The crow's nest.
10. What is the name of the ship that Hornblower's first captain orders him to transfer to?
11. Who does Hornblower place second in command to himself during the attack on the Papillon?
12. What does Hornblower have the crew do to try and save the captured ship before evacuating it as a lost cause?
(a) Patch the hole.
(b) Balance the ebb.
(c) Haul the cargo out bag by bag.
(d) Pump the water out.
13. What is the name of the boat that Hornblower uses to approach the Papillon before the attack?
14. What do the other men mock Hales for before the attack on the Papillon?
(a) Showing his cowardice.
(b) Not being promoted.
(c) Being superstitious.
(d) Shirking his duty.
15. How old is Simpson at the beginning of the book?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hornblower allow the crew of the captured vessel to do after the first night of their capture?
2. Who wins the game that the sailors play while Hornblower is on shore for the first time since joining the Navy?
3. What kind of ship is the one that first finds Hornblower after he loses the Marie Galant?
4. How many French sailors are with Hornblower after losing the Marie Galant?
5. What does Simpson refuse to do to avoid a duel with Hornblower?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)