|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which part of the boat does Hornblower confine the French men to after losing the Marie Galant?
(a) The bow.
(b) The harbor.
(c) The port.
(d) The starboard.
2. What happens to the first captured ship Hornblower is given command over when he and the crew abandon the ship?
(a) It sinks.
(b) It lights on fire.
(c) It pops apart at the seams.
(d) It is fired on by French cannons.
3. What does Hornblower find in the cable tier at night?
(a) A hiding spy.
(b) A dead man.
(c) Whist games.
(d) Rat fights.
4. How many English sailors are with Hornblower after losing the Marie Galant?
5. Where does Hornblower place the crew of the first captured vessel he is given command of?
(d) Poop deck.
6. What are crews called that take captured vessels into port?
(a) Prize crews.
(b) Merchant crews.
(c) Risk crews.
(d) Capture crews.
7. What is Hornblower afraid of?
(a) The plague.
8. Who is sent to help Hornblower in his position when a strange French sail is seen in the distance?
9. What kind of ship is the one that first finds Hornblower after he loses the Marie Galant?
(b) Ship of the Line.
10. Who does Hornblower ask about the man he is worried about after the attack on the Papillon?
(a) The doctor.
(b) The captain.
(c) The cook.
(d) The man.
11. What does Hornblower do when he suspects the hull of the captured ship was breached?
(a) Asks the crew of the ship.
(b) Checks for holes.
(c) Measures the gait in the water.
(d) Sounds the well.
12. How does the man Hornblower is worried about after the Papillon attack really get injured?
(a) Self infliction.
(b) Rat fights.
(c) The battle on the Papillon.
(d) Gang hazing.
13. What does Hornblower worry about most before the attack on the Papillon?
(b) Being captured and put in prison.
(c) Being exposed to the Plague.
(d) Personal failure.
14. How many French sailors are with Hornblower after losing the Marie Galant?
15. Where is Hornblower drifting after losing the Marie Galant?
(a) Straits of Gibraltar.
(b) Bay of Dolphins.
(c) Bay of Biscay.
(d) The English Channel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the ships carrying loads of contraband goods called?
2. What does Hornblower do when he sees the Indefatigable coming towards the ship that picked him up after losing the Marie Galant?
3. What weapon does Hornblower hold to protect himself against the French men after losing the Marie Galant?
4. What is Hornblower's duty in the planned capture of the Papillon?
5. What is the name of the captain of the first ship Hornblower is assigned duty to in the Navy?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)