|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is seen in the cable tier by the man who joins Hornblower in his place of solitude?
(a) A spy.
(b) The devil.
(c) The captain.
2. Where does the Papillon first hide from the Indefatigable?
(a) On the sand bar of a coral reef.
(b) In an English port.
(c) In an estuary.
(d) In a French port.
3. What weapon does Hornblower choose to use in his duel with Simpson?
(d) Fencing blade.
4. What was the ship that finds Hornblower after he loses the Marie Galant designed to do?
(a) Fight in war.
(b) Transport cattle.
(c) Race with speed.
(d) Hold slaves.
5. What is the first captured ship Hornblower is given command of carrying?
6. What does Hornblower do when he suspects the hull of the captured ship was breached?
(a) Checks for holes.
(b) Asks the crew of the ship.
(c) Measures the gait in the water.
(d) Sounds the well.
7. What is Hornblower's first name?
8. Which of the following is NOT a man assigned to Hornblower's crew to take the captured ship to shore?
9. Who plans the strategic assault on the Papillon?
10. What is the name of the captain of the Indefatigable?
11. What weapon does Hornblower hold to protect himself against the French men after losing the Marie Galant?
12. What happens to the first captured ship Hornblower is given command over when he and the crew abandon the ship?
(a) It pops apart at the seams.
(b) It sinks.
(c) It lights on fire.
(d) It is fired on by French cannons.
13. Where does Hornblower go to find solitude on the ship?
(a) His bunk.
(b) The crow's nest.
(c) The mizzen top.
(d) The galley.
14. What is of utmost importance when the boats are approaching the Papillon before the attack?
15. Where does the French captain want Hornblower to sail after losing the Marie Galant?
(a) The Isle of Elba.
(b) The trading post.
(c) A French port.
(d) The nearest port.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hales call out for as the boats near the Papillon before the attack?
2. What country is the ship from that finds Hornblower after he loses the Marie Galant?
3. Where is Hornblower drifting after losing the Marie Galant?
4. Which of Hornblower's men does he begin to worry about after the attack of the Papillon?
5. What is the general feeling aboard the first ship Hornblower has duty on in the Navy?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)