|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one objection the narrator had to Blue's vocational plan?
2. According to Blue, all of the following are given by heaven except:
3. According to Blue, what does Christmas represent?
4. What does Blue think the narrator thinks of him being in the hospital?
5. What vocation does Blue find?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Blue feel about those who read?
2. What is the vocation Blue found?
3. Describe Blue's tone at dinner in Chapter VI.
4. What does the narrator learn from Blue in their walk around the lake about American Catholicism?
5. Could Blue be described as cautious? Which letter speaks to this?
6. How does Blue end up in the hospital?
7. What job does Blue take in Chapter VII?
8. How does Blue feel about scientific agnosticism?
9. What values of Blue's do the eighth, ninth and tenth letters defend?
10. What does the Gothic symbolize for Blue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Writers often write about their own life experiences. What do we know about the life of Miles Connolly? What experiences in Miles Connolly's life led him to write "Mr. Blue"?
Essay Topic 2
Using what you learned about characterization, write a character analysis of "Mr. Blue." Include the following: a description, actions, relationship to other characters, motives, strengths and weaknesses.
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is a literary device used to give meaning to an object beyond the obvious. Analyzes a symbol used in "Mr. Blue." Include a description of the symbol and how it is used in the novel.
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)