|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter I, what advice does the narrator want to give Blue?
2. What is the name of the cigar shop that Stevens and the narrator were talking in?
3. Fill in the following quote from Blue in Chapter I: "Yes, life is beautiful. What are you doing __________________?"
4. How does Blue's idea for a motion picture begin?
5. What is the highlight of the evening at Blue's party in Chapter II?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Blue do with his inheritance?
2. According to Blue, what does Lady Poverty do to him?
3. Describe Blue's living arrangements in Chapter II.
4. Describe what White does.
5. How is the narrator introduced to Blue?
6. How does Blue make the narrator feel about his life?
7. How does the narrator feel about Blue's use of money?
8. Why is it important for Blue that God was made man?
9. What are the narrator's feelings towards Blue at the end of Chapter II?
10. Describe the people in Blue's story.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter VI ends with Blue giving the narrator a card that reads "The cross is the gift God gives his friends." Analyze this card, where it came from and what meaning it has for Blue and the narrator.
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Blue was published in 1928, three years after the legendary novel, "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald. In many ways, Blue is the anti-Gatsby. Examine the similarities and differences between the two novels, "Mr. Blue" and "The Great Gatsby."
Essay Topic 3
Writers often write about their own life experiences. What do we know about the life of Miles Connolly? What experiences in Miles Connolly's life led him to write "Mr. Blue"?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)