|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Blue equates the fights of his day with fighting the plague with what?
(a) A bow and arrow.
(b) A sword.
2. Fill in the following quote about books from Blue in Chapter VI: "Books are for people who cannot _________________."
(a) Escape the monotony of everyday life.
(b) Think for themselves.
(c) Make up their minds.
(d) Drive cars.
3. What is one objection the narrator had to Blue's vocational plan?
(a) It is a waste of Blue's talents.
(b) Blue cannot sustain himself financially.
(c) Blue is too old.
(d) Blue is not in good health.
4. Why is the narrator concerned about Blue's safety in Chapter VII?
(a) Dangerous people live on the streets in the city.
(b) Blue's ideals can get him arrested.
(c) Winter is coming and he has no place to live.
(d) Blue might be put away as a lunatic.
5. What gives Blue courage at the beginning of Chapter VI?
(a) The setting sun.
(b) A musical medley.
(c) A letter from the narrator.
(d) The Gothic architecture of Boston College.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the weather like in Chapter VII?
2. Who does Blue think was generous and loyal?
3. Where does Mr. Considine first meet Blue?
4. Who does the narrator equate Blue's loneliness to?
5. What worries Blue in Chapter VI?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first letter about and what does it say about Blue?
2. Would you consider Blue to be a deep thinker?
3. What is the narrator's vocation?
4. How many letters does the narrator have from Blue? Who are they from?
5. According to Blue, what is wrong with the written word?
6. What is the vocation Blue found?
7. What is the difference between a vow of poverty in a religious order and the vow of poverty that Blue took?
8. What is the setting of Chapter VI?
9. How does Blue feel about scientific agnosticism?
10. Describe Blue's tone at dinner in Chapter VI.
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)