|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The sight of Blue in the hospital makes the narrator feel all of the following except:
2. What does Blue eat at the restaurant with the narrator in Chapter VI?
(b) Pasta salad.
(c) Clam chowder.
(d) Crab cakes.
3. According to Blue, what does Christmas represent?
(a) A day for rejoicing and renewal of baptismal vows.
(b) The birth of Jesus Christ.
(c) The awakening of the spirit.
(d) The day the earth was sanctified as home.
4. What makes up the majority of the content of Chapter V?
(a) Letters from Blue.
(b) Bank statements.
(c) Letters from the narrator to Blue.
(d) Records of Blue's achievements.
5. Where does the novel take place in Chapter VII?
(b) New York.
(c) San Francisco.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Blue's response to the narrator's comment on him getting a girl?
2. Which of the following words best describes Blue's physical appearance in the hospital?
3. What does Blue think is the narrator's best virtue is?
4. At the school Blue suggests the narrator should start, what should the banner say?
5. What does the inclusion of Blue's thoughts in Chapter VI prove of Blue?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which letter concerns forgiveness? How so?
2. What is the narrators reaction to Blue's plan in Chapter VII to live among the poor?
3. Why does Blue have to leave the top of the Tootsall Building?
4. How is Blue treated by his coworkers at the lumberyard?
5. Why is Blue frightened by his own happiness?
6. Do you think Blue is a real person?
7. What is the setting of Chapter VI?
8. How does Blue end up in the hospital?
9. What values of Blue's do the eighth, ninth and tenth letters defend?
10. In what letter does Blue describe his view of the end of the world?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)