|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Blue, what are the best gifts from heaven?
(a) Riches and gold.
(b) The ones you earn.
(c) A roof over your head.
(d) Your family and loved ones.
2. What is the narrator's reply to Blue's comment, "My old friend, Mr. Compromiser."
(a) "Your old friend, Honesty."
(b) "Your old friend, Truth."
(c) "Your old friend, Faith."
(d) "Your old friend, Reason."
3. Who does the narrator equate Blue's loneliness to?
(a) The great writers.
(b) The great artists.
(c) The great prophets.
(d) The great musicians.
4. What time do visiting hours end at the hospital?
(a) 5:00 p.m.
(b) 6:00 p.m.
(c) 7:00 p.m.
(d) 8:00 p.m.
5. What is Blue's last letter to the narrator about?
(a) Plans for the future.
(b) The end of the world.
(c) People spending too much money.
(d) Blue's thoughts on religion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Blue think was generous and loyal?
2. What is the following quote written on: "The cross is the fit God gives his friends."
3. According to Blue in Chapter VI, what is the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine?
4. Complete the following quote from one of Blue's letters in Chapter V: "Conservative historians describe any man with a passion for greatness as a ____________."
5. Fill in the following quotation by Blue in Chapter VI: "Once heroes built fortresses against the Mongol and the Saracen; now they must build fortresses against _____________."
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Blue end up in the hospital?
2. What job does Blue take in Chapter VII?
3. Which letter concerns forgiveness? How so?
4. Describe Blue's tone at dinner in Chapter VI.
5. Why does Blue have to leave the top of the Tootsall Building?
6. What does the Gothic symbolize for Blue?
7. What is the first letter about and what does it say about Blue?
8. What do the sixth and seventh letters have in common?
9. What is the difference between a vow of poverty in a religious order and the vow of poverty that Blue took?
10. Why is Blue frightened by his own happiness?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)