|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lie do July and Bo Jo tell the justice of the peace?
2. What do July and Bo Jo discuss after having sex?
3. Who visits the Jones' home after Mr. Jones loses his temper over the phone?
4. What does July's grandmother give to her after the wedding ceremony?
5. Where does Grandmother Greher live?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what manner does Bo Jo tell his parents of his marriage, and how do they react?
2. What happens one night when July and Bo Jo go to the beach alone together?
3. Why do Bo Jo, July, and their friends go to The Reef? How does July feel while there?
4. Who wants to throw a celebration for Bo Jo and July's marriage? How does this person feel when the offer is rejected?
5. What does Bo Jo tell July while in study hall? Why is this news important to him?
6. How do July's parents react to her marriage?
7. What does July learn about Louella Consuela after seeing her at the supermarket?
8. What is it like when Bo Jo and July are able to spend some time with their old gang of friends again?
9. Why does Mrs. Jones feel embarrassed by her house warming gift for Bo Jo and July?
10. Why does Mrs. Jones refuse to attend Bo Jo and July's wedding ceremony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Head's use of symbolism in the novel "Mr and Mrs Bo Jo Jones." What are some examples of symbolism in the novel? What do these symbols represent?
Essay Topic 2
Death is explored near the novel's conclusion when July's newborn son Jonathan dies unexpectedly. How does this death affect July? How does it affect Bo Jo? How might their lives have been different if their son had not died? Why might Head have chosen to have the son character die? What lesson might this teach July?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret at least three of the secondary characters of the novel. What sort of relationships do these characters have with the protagonist of the novel? Do they have a significant role in the novel? Why or why not? Do these characters influence July in any aspect?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)