|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does July's grandmother give to her after the wedding ceremony?
2. Why does July want Bo Jo to get a job?
3. What is the name of Louella's husband?
4. What do July, Bo Jo, and their two old friends return to the apartment to drink?
5. What does the plaque that Mrs. Jones gives to the newlyweds say?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bo Jo refuse July's father's job offer?
2. What does July learn about Louella Consuela after seeing her at the supermarket?
3. How do July's parents react to her marriage?
4. Where are Bo Jo and July invited to go to dinner together? What does July learn about during the dinner?
5. What does July's grandmother give her after the wedding ceremony?
6. How is July affected mentally and physically by her night with Bo Jo at the beach?
7. In the visit between Mrs. Jones and Mrs. Greher, what indicates to July that some progress has been made in their relationship?
8. How does Bo Jo react when July tells him that she is pregnant?
9. Why does July want Bo Jo to get a job?
10. Why does July go to a town that is fifty miles away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the issue of abortion in 1960s American and how abortion is depicted in the novel "Mr and Mrs Bo Jo Jones". What is the public opinion of abortion during the 1960s in America? How is it depicted in the novel? What do the principle characters think of abortion? Why might Head include Louella's abortion; what message might she have sent?
Essay Topic 2
"Mr and Mrs Bo Jo Jones" is an example of a coming-of-age story as it explores July's journey from a child to an adult. How does the novel depict this transition? What propels July to adulthood? Is this an easy transition for July to make? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret at least three of the secondary characters of the novel. What sort of relationships do these characters have with the protagonist of the novel? Do they have a significant role in the novel? Why or why not? Do these characters influence July in any aspect?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)