|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What grade is Mary Ann's boyfriend in?
2. Why is July unable to tell her parents of her marriage when she returns home from the wedding?
3. Where is Bo Jo and July's marriage announced?
4. How is the owner of garage apartment described?
5. How does it feel when Bo Jo and July spend a night with their old gang of friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the visit between Mrs. Jones and Mrs. Greher, what indicates to July that some progress has been made in their relationship?
2. What does July's grandmother give her after the wedding ceremony?
3. Where are Bo Jo and July invited to go to dinner together? What does July learn about during the dinner?
4. Right after moving into their new apartment, how does Bo Jo hurt July's feelings?
5. Who wants to throw a celebration for Bo Jo and July's marriage? How does this person feel when the offer is rejected?
6. Who is Horace Clark, and why does July spend time with him?
7. What details are given about July's marriage ceremony to Bo Jo?
8. How do July's parents react to her marriage?
9. What enrages Mr. Jones enough that he calls and yells at Mr. Greher?
10. Why do July and Bo Jo go to a hotel room on their first night as husband and wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the issue of abortion in 1960s American and how abortion is depicted in the novel "Mr and Mrs Bo Jo Jones". What is the public opinion of abortion during the 1960s in America? How is it depicted in the novel? What do the principle characters think of abortion? Why might Head include Louella's abortion; what message might she have sent?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret at least three of the secondary characters of the novel. What sort of relationships do these characters have with the protagonist of the novel? Do they have a significant role in the novel? Why or why not? Do these characters influence July in any aspect?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the protagonist of the novel, July Greher. What are her defining character traits? What struggles does she face throughout the novel? How does she grow as a character as the novel progresses?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)