|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of outlook did Lonnie have?
2. Who does John visit while in Chicago?
3. What does John give Kate at the end of the book?
4. What does John give Kate in this chapter?
5. What makes the couple go back to Louisiana?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Kate so angry with John?
2. What does John reveal to Aunt Emily?
3. What is Kate's test after Lonnie dies?
4. What does John introduce Kate as at the end of his chapter?
5. Why does Kate want to go to Chicago with John?
6. Who is waiting for John when he arrives at Aunt Emily's house?
7. What does John realize about his life search?
8. What does John ask Kate to deliver for him?
9. Who does John decide to call after he is done speaking with his aunt on the phone?
10. Has John completely abandoned his search?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which theme did you think was the most important in the book?
Describe the theme and give three examples of times that it is explored by the characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1. How is Aunt Emily's letter opener symbolic of the way she feels towards John?
2. Explain why Aunt Emily feels differently towards her nephew. What has he done to change her mind about him?
Essay Topic 3
Strict Southern guidelines prescribe that women and men act a certain way. Kate and John often find themselves searching for their place in a society that does not accept them. How have John and Kate made themselves outsides in New Orleans society?
1. Describe 2 different times each character alienates themselves.
2. Describe 2 times that New Orleans society outcasts Kate and John.
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)