|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kate enjoy Chicago?
2. What does the reader speculate at the end of the novel?
3. Why does John flirt with Joyce?
4. Who does the couple run into on their trip?
5. Who does Aunt Emily call after Kate takes pills?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kate react to the test?
2. Who has died in John's family?
3. What does John reveal to Aunt Emily?
4. Who is waiting for John when he arrives at Aunt Emily's house?
5. What is Kate's test after Lonnie dies?
6. Why does Kate want to go to Chicago with John?
7. Has John completely abandoned his search?
8. Why doesn't Kate like Harold's wife?
9. How does John feel about his family at the end of the book?
10. Why does John flirt with Joyce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. How is Aunt Emily's letter opener symbolic of the way she feels towards John?
2. Explain why Aunt Emily feels differently towards her nephew. What has he done to change her mind about him?
Essay Topic 2
John's longing for a deep and close relationship with a woman is constantly explored throughout the book:
1. Who does John attempt to create relationships? Why does he choose these types of women to go after?
2. How does John's relationship with Aunt Emily, his mother, and Kate, hinder his ability to create healthy relationships with other women?
3. How does John's relationship with movies and being a moviegoer stop him from building relationships.
Essay Topic 3
1. Examine the friendship that Kate and John have before they are married.
2. Does their relationship ever turn physical before they get married? Do you think the fact that they lack a physical relationship will cause their relationship to fail?
3. How does the relationship change after Kate and John are married. Describe their new relationship.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)