|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does being in New Orleans do to Kate's life?
2. What settles once Kate leaves?
3. What does John introduce Kate as at the end of the chapter?
4. What has John missed?
5. What does Kate feel about the request?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Aunt Emily upset with John at the beginning of the chapter?
2. How does John feel about his family at the end of the book?
3. How does the novel end?
4. Does John enjoy seeing Harold?
5. What does Kate think the worst that can happen to John is?
6. Why doesn't Kate like Harold's wife?
7. How does the epilogue begin?
8. What does Aunt Emily ask of John?
9. What does the reader learn about Aunt Emily?
10. What is interesting about the marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Answer one of the following:
1. Why does John carry on meaningless relationships with many women?
2. Site three examples of how Aunt Emily attempts to control John's life.
3. Who were the men that proposed to Kate? Take two of them and explain why they decided to ask for her hand.
Essay Topic 2
1. Freedom is another central theme of the novel. Both John and Kate struggle to find their own independence in different ways. How are John and Kate's searches for independence similar?
2. Describe how John's assertion of manhood and determination to create a relationship with Kate, leads to Kate's oppression.
3. Is this John or Kate's fault?
Essay Topic 3
1. How is Aunt Emily's letter opener symbolic of the way she feels towards John?
2. Explain why Aunt Emily feels differently towards her nephew. What has he done to change her mind about him?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)