|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Aunt Emily feel about John at the end of the chapter?
2. Why does Kate take the pills?
3. What does Kate wish for for John?
4. Who is waiting for John upon his arrival at Aunt Emily's house.
5. How does the family act at dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Has John completely abandoned his search?
2. What does Aunt Emily ask of John?
3. Why does John think everyone is dead?
4. Why is Aunt Emily upset with John at the beginning of the chapter?
5. Why is Kate so happy in Chicago?
6. Why does Kate want to go to Chicago with John?
7. What does John reveal to Aunt Emily?
8. What has happened since John last saw Kate?
9. When John talks to Kate, what does she say she was really trying to do?
10. What does John realize about his life search?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. Compare Harold's wife to a typical Southern housewife. How do their actions and behaviors differ from one another?
2. Why is Kate so put out by Harold's wife?
3. Because Kate constantly looks to find her freedom from New Orleans society, is it interesting that Kate is shocked by Harold's wife's actions?
Essay Topic 2
1. John and Lonnie have a special way of communicating with one another that no one else understands. How do the two brothers communicate with one another?
2. How do movies play apart in the relationship that the brothers share? Explain why Lonnie might to relate to movies the way John does.
3. Why is death a focus in their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of death is very prevalent throughout the novel, with characters wishing they were dead or actually trying to kill themselves:
1. Name three times where death is brought up in the novel. Describe the three situations and which characters are involved.
2. Why do you think the characters in the book are obsessed with death? Explain their thought processes.
3. Compare John's escape into television and movies with Kate and Lonnie's wish to escape this world. How are they different and how are they the same?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)