|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sharon hurry from the car?
2. What does Kate doubt?
3. What is John's uncle's name?
4. What kind of relationship do John and Kate seem to have?
5. What does the reader think about Kate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Aunt Emily so upset about Kate, her stepdaughter?
2. What is John searching for as the novel begins?
3. What does Kate reveal to John about her happiest day?
4. Who is John excited to see and why?
5. What does John begin to plan on his way back to the office?
6. Who does John run into after lunch with his aunt?
7. What important decision does John make that turns out to be a good idea?
8. How does John feel about Walter, Kate's fiance?
9. What is very apparent about John and Aunt Emily's relationship?
10. Where does John live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
New Orleans is a city that is rich in culture, food, and arts. Describe the setting of New Orleans in relation to John's story. How does the backdrop and society of New Orleans affect the story? Describe three specific places in the city as well as three specific events that take place there.
Essay Topic 2
1. How is Aunt Emily's letter opener symbolic of the way she feels towards John?
2. Explain why Aunt Emily feels differently towards her nephew. What has he done to change her mind about him?
Essay Topic 3
1. Examine the friendship that Kate and John have before they are married.
2. Does their relationship ever turn physical before they get married? Do you think the fact that they lack a physical relationship will cause their relationship to fail?
3. How does the relationship change after Kate and John are married. Describe their new relationship.
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)