|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom was Kate, Jack's cousin, once engaged?
2. Why isn't John passionate about the fact that someone saved his life?
3. Why does John go into the office early at the beginning of Chapter 2?
4. What becomes clearer about John's relationship to his mother?
5. What time does John wake up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What important decision does John make that turns out to be a good idea?
2. Who does John remind his mother of?
3. What does Sharon try to establish about the trip?
4. Does John have anything in common with his mother?
5. What becomes clear about John and Kate's relationship?
6. What is revealed about John's family in this chapter?
7. Does Kate understand John's quest?
8. Where does John ask Sharon to go with him?
9. Who does John run into after lunch with his aunt?
10. Where does John invite Kate to go with him? What is her response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. Examine the friendship that Kate and John have before they are married.
2. Does their relationship ever turn physical before they get married? Do you think the fact that they lack a physical relationship will cause their relationship to fail?
3. How does the relationship change after Kate and John are married. Describe their new relationship.
Essay Topic 2
1. Freedom is another central theme of the novel. Both John and Kate struggle to find their own independence in different ways. How are John and Kate's searches for independence similar?
2. Describe how John's assertion of manhood and determination to create a relationship with Kate, leads to Kate's oppression.
3. Is this John or Kate's fault?
Essay Topic 3
Answer one of the following:
1. Why does John carry on meaningless relationships with many women?
2. Site three examples of how Aunt Emily attempts to control John's life.
3. Who were the men that proposed to Kate? Take two of them and explain why they decided to ask for her hand.
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)