|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is clear about Sharon?
(a) She will not be like other girls from John's past.
(b) She is after John.
(c) She wants to marry a rich New Orleans man.
(d) She is very smart.
2. In Chapter 1, what is revealed as a central theme of the book?
(a) Difficult Relationships.
(d) The city of New Orleans.
3. What ails John?
(a) A woman who broke his heart.
(b) A queasy stomach.
4. What does Aunt Emily want for John?
(a) She wishes he would break up with his girlfreind.
(b) She wants him to find a wife.
(c) She would like him to live with her.
(d) She wants him to get a better job.
5. How does Kate respond to John's question?
(a) She says yes right away.
(b) She avoids the question.
(c) She asks him another question.
(d) She asks what she should do with her life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sharon think of John's attentions?
2. What is John's nickname?
3. Where does the family go the following morning?
4. Where does John live?
5. When does Kate think people are "real" with one another?
Short Essay Questions
1. What important question does John ask Kate in this chapter?
2. Does Kate understand John's quest?
3. What is very apparent about John and Aunt Emily's relationship?
4. What is John searching for as the novel begins?
5. Does John have anything in common with his mother?
6. Why is Aunt Emily so upset about Kate, her stepdaughter?
7. What does Sharon try to establish about the trip?
8. What does Kate reveal to John about her happiest day?
9. What does John suffer from?
10. What occurs on the ride to the Gulf Coast?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)