|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Aunt Emily think of her family?
(a) They depend too much on her.
(b) They ask her for too much money.
(c) She hates them.
(d) She holds them to higher standards.
2. Who was listening to the whole conversation?
(a) Uncle Jules.
3. Do John and Kate marry?
(a) As the novel ends they are only engaged.
(b) John marries Sharon.
4. Where is the streetcar located?
(a) Gentility St.
(c) Magazine St.
(d) St. Charles.
5. Why does Kate think that Harold's wife is strange?
(a) She is of a different social class than Kate.
(b) She does not perform the typical housewife duties that other Southern women do.
(c) She is old and mean.
(d) Harold's wife is very unattractive.
6. What does John realize about his search for the meaning of his life?
(a) He enjoys the search.
(b) It rejeuvenates him.
(c) The search has taken him away from his tidy and ingenious life in Gentiliy.
(d) It has given him hope.
7. What does John really want to do with his life?
(a) Find his own unique personal goals.
(b) Become a recluse.
(c) Leave Louisiana.
(d) Travel abroad.
8. How is this ironic?
(a) Kate longs to be controlled.
(b) For so long, Kate said she wanted freedom.
(c) John wishes to control no one.
(d) John wants nothing to do with Kate.
9. What does Kate deliver to John's business associates?
10. Why does John see everyone as dead?
(a) HIs family dies in a car accident.
(b) Because Kate is dead.
(c) He wishes he could die.
(d) Everyone is leading a prescribed life.
11. How does John respond?
(a) With silence.
(b) With anger.
(c) He presents his view of his life to his aunt.
(d) He runs away.
12. When does Uncle Jules die?
(a) Ash Wednesday.
(b) On Mardi Gras.
(c) Black Friday.
13. What depresses Kate?
(b) Small Talk.
14. What makes the couple go back to Louisiana?
(a) John is sick of Kate and wants to leave.
(b) Kate wants to return home.
(c) Sam calls Kate and begs her to come back.
(d) John gets a call from Aunt Emily to bring Kate back.
15. What has John missed?
(a) His talks with Lonnie.
(b) An opportunity to explain himself.
(c) His closeness with his aunt.
(d) HIs special time with Kate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kate feel about the request?
2. To John, what has settled everywhere after John's showdown with Aunt Emily?
3. What is Kate unsure of?
4. Why does Kate think marriage is a bad idea?
5. Does John ever get a chance to stand up to Aunt Emily?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)