|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kate insist on when she marries John?
(a) Kate wants to get a divorce after a couple of years.
(b) Kate does not think she can change.
(c) Kate wishes she could have married for love.
(d) That he stand up to Aunt Emily.
2. What does John ask Kate to ride at the end of the book?
(a) A bike.
(b) An airplane.
(c) The streetcar.
(d) In a taxi.
3. What depresses Kate?
(d) Small Talk.
4. What is Kate scared of?
(a) Going crazy.
(b) Not having freedom.
(c) Being alone.
(d) Fitting into society.
5. What does Aunt Emily feel towards John?
6. Who is waiting for John upon his arrival at Aunt Emily's house.
(a) His Aunt Emily.
(c) Sam Yeuger.
(d) His Uncle Jules.
7. Who was listening to the whole conversation?
(d) Uncle Jules.
8. Why does Kate take the pills?
(a) To die.
(b) To feel numb.
(c) To be happy.
(d) To feel everything.
9. Who does Aunt Emily call after Kate takes pills?
(a) Dr Minx.
(c) Uncle Jules.
10. What relationship does Sharon have with John?
(a) They have no relationship.
(b) She has affairs with him.
(c) She has remained his secretary.
(d) She quits working for him.
11. Who does Aunt Emily want to pass the family heritage on to?
(a) No one, because everyone disappoints her.
(b) The men of the family.
(c) Anyone who is interested.
(d) The women of the family.
12. What does John realize about his search for the meaning of his life?
(a) The search has taken him away from his tidy and ingenious life in Gentiliy.
(b) He enjoys the search.
(c) It rejeuvenates him.
(d) It has given him hope.
13. Where will John go to appease his aunt?
(a) Law school.
(b) Joins the Army.
(c) Medical school.
14. To John, what has settled everywhere after John's showdown with Aunt Emily?
15. What does Kate think is the worst thing that can happen?
(a) John will realize he does not want him.
(b) She will die.
(c) She will never know love.
(d) That John will lose his hope in his search.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lonnie conquer in death?
2. What does John give Kate in this chapter?
3. Why does Kate think marriage is a bad idea?
4. Who does Sharon end up marrying?
5. What is Kate unsure of?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)