|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kate love?
(a) Going skiing.
2. How does the family act at dinner?
(a) They seem very abnormal.
(b) They act panicked.
(c) They try to act as if everything is normal.
3. What do the two characters have at the end of the chapter?
(b) A bout of the flu.
4. Who is not present in John's life?
(a) His father.
(b) HIs mother.
(c) His lover.
(d) His siblings.
5. What does John introduce Kate as at the end of the chapter?
(a) His friend.
(b) His fiancee.
(c) His love.
(d) His cousin.
6. Why does Kate think marriage is a bad idea?
(a) They don't know each other enough.
(b) She thinks she will want a divorce.
(c) They know each other too well.
(d) She does not love John.
7. How does Aunt Emily feel about John at the end of the chapter?
8. Who does John flirt with?
9. How does Kate want to travel to Chicago?
(a) By train.
(b) By Car.
(c) By Taxi.
(d) By Airplane.
10. What does John realize about his search for the meaning of his life?
(a) The search has taken him away from his tidy and ingenious life in Gentiliy.
(b) It has given him hope.
(c) It rejeuvenates him.
(d) He enjoys the search.
11. Do John and Kate marry?
(a) John marries Sharon.
(b) As the novel ends they are only engaged.
12. How does Sam entertain the family?
(a) Sings songs.
(b) Takes them to the movies.
(c) Does mime gestures.
(d) Tells them stories.
13. What does John give Kate in this chapter?
(b) A ring.
(c) The freedom that she thinks she wants.
(d) A kiss.
14. Who does the couple run into on their trip?
(a) John's girlfriend.
(b) John's boss.
(c) Sidney Gross and his wife.
(d) Their family.
15. Who makes a large purchase from John?
(a) Aunt Emily.
(c) Uncle Jules.
(d) Mr. Sartalamaccia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John get a lot of money for?
2. How do the members of Aunt Emily's family react to the news about Kate?
3. What does Sam think must immediately happen?
4. Who is reluctant to talk about anything religious?
5. Why is Aunt Emily mad at John?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)