|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John assure his siblings of upon Lonnie's death?
(a) Lonnie is not really dead.
(b) That he is water-skiing in heaven.
(c) John will take care of all of them.
(d) Lonnie is rotting in hell.
2. What effect does the talk with Aunt Emily have on John's life?
(a) None, he ignores her.
(b) It wakes him up.
(c) He feels angry with himself.
(d) He wants to be a better man.
3. How does the family act at dinner?
(a) They seem very abnormal.
(c) They act panicked.
(d) They try to act as if everything is normal.
4. Why does John see everyone as dead?
(a) Because Kate is dead.
(b) Everyone is leading a prescribed life.
(c) He wishes he could die.
(d) HIs family dies in a car accident.
5. To John, what has settled everywhere after John's showdown with Aunt Emily?
6. Why is Kate so angry with John?
(a) He does not love her.
(b) He did not use his one chance to explain himself.
(c) He declares his love for her.
(d) She catches him with another woman.
7. How does john feel when he leaves his aunt's house?
8. What does Kate insist on when she marries John?
(a) Kate wants to get a divorce after a couple of years.
(b) Kate wishes she could have married for love.
(c) Kate does not think she can change.
(d) That he stand up to Aunt Emily.
9. Where is the streetcar located?
(a) St. Charles.
(b) Gentility St.
(c) Magazine St.
10. What settles once Kate leaves?
11. What depresses Kate?
(a) Small Talk.
12. What does Kate wish to be in Chicago?
(a) A nobody in a city of anybodies.
(b) A new woman.
(c) A woman of lesser social status.
(d) A free person.
13. What comes from abandoning hope?
(a) New beginnings.
14. Does John ever get a chance to stand up to Aunt Emily?
(a) Yes, he falls out of favor with her.
(b) No, because Kate begs him not to.
(c) Yes and he is disowned by her.
(d) No, he mostly accepts her will.
15. How does the novel end?
(a) Kate fails the task she has been given.
(b) The reader is not sure because it ends abruptly.
(c) Kate completes her task.
(d) John divorces Kate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kate unsure of?
2. What has John missed?
3. What does Aunt Emily feel towards John?
4. When does Uncle Jules die?
5. Why does Kate enjoy Chicago?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)