|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are some of Sharon's job duties?
(a) To run John's life.
(b) To dictate John's letters.
(c) To file papers.
(d) To write a book.
2. John attributes _ and _ with being a moviegoer.
(a) exile & injustice
(b) malice & loneliness
(c) spirit & drive
(d) exile & loneliness
3. What is John's mother unhappy about?
(a) John is being mean to his brother.
(b) Lonnie is fasting.
(c) John's stepfather drinks too much.
(d) She did not want John to come to the fish house.
4. What members of the family does John seem to best communicate with?
(a) The people who seem interested in him.
(b) The outer member of the family.
(c) The ones who encourage him.
(d) People who tell him what to do.
5. Why does John like Mrs. Schexnaydre?
(a) She expects nothing from John.
(b) She gives him food.
(c) She hits on him a lot.
(d) She flirts with John.
6. Why does John like to read these sorts of books?
(a) To see the love people have for others.
(b) To understand the meaning of life.
(c) To create a deeper meaning for his life.
(d) To see the amount of hate one group has for another.
7. What does John decide to undertake on his bus ride to Elysian Fields?
(a) The possibility of a search for meaning.
(b) Getting a new girlfriend.
(c) Getting ice cream with his family.
(d) Going for pasta for dinner.
8. Why does Kate ask John to marry him?
(a) He figures that Kate will not hurt them.
(b) He is very much in love with Kate.
(c) John wants to save Kate.
(d) John is attracted to Kate.
9. Why isn't John passionate about the fact that someone saved his life?
(a) He wishes that he could have saved himself.
(b) He wanted to die.
(c) Because he cannot determine what to live for.
(d) He is not passionate about anything.
10. What do John's siblings spend the rest of the afternoon doing?
(c) playing baseball.
(d) water skiing.
11. What do Kate and John have in common?
(a) Their outlook on life.
(b) Their birth cities.
(c) Their middle nanes.
(d) Their hair color.
12. What does Kate thinks about her therapist?
(a) She is attracted to her.
(b) She does not believe he is truly helping her.
(c) She is very smart.
(d) She is telling Kate's secrets to others.
13. Why is it interesting that Sharon and John keep the books they are reading a secret from one another?
(a) Sharon really wants to read girlie magazines all day.
(b) John is afraid she will judge him.
(c) John really hates to read.
(d) A lot of personal information can be learned about someone by what they read.
14. When John sees his family is already at the camp, how does he feel?
15. Who does John find at his house at 3:00 a.m.?
(a) Aunt Emily.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Lonnie in a hunger strike?
2. Where does Walter offer to take Kate?
3. What does the reader think about Kate?
4. What does Aunt Emily's letter ask of John?
5. Why is the meeting going to be serious?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)