|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does John run into after lunch (at the library)?
(a) His cousin's wife, Nell Lovell.
(b) His mother.
(c) His brother, Lonnie.
(d) His Aunt Emily.
2. What is John's mother unhappy about?
(a) Lonnie is fasting.
(b) John is being mean to his brother.
(c) She did not want John to come to the fish house.
(d) John's stepfather drinks too much.
3. To whom is Kate now engaged?
4. What body part is in pain after the accident?
(a) His knee.
(b) His hand.
(c) His thigh.
(d) His shoulder.
5. What does Aunt Emily want for John?
(a) She wishes he would break up with his girlfreind.
(b) She would like him to live with her.
(c) She wants him to get a better job.
(d) She wants him to find a wife.
6. Where does John suggest they go after swimming?
(a) Out to dinner.
(b) Back home to New Orleans.
(c) They go to his mother's fishing camp.
(d) To a movie.
7. Why is everyone concerned about Kate?
(a) She is hanging around the wrong crowd.
(b) They have found whiskey bottles.
(c) She is staying out late.
(d) She has not been herself lately.
8. Why does John go into the office early at the beginning of Chapter 2?
(a) To quit his job.
(b) To make an investment in Aerican Motors.
(c) To finish up some work.
(d) To do some illegal activities.
9. Why does John like Mrs. Schexnaydre?
(a) She flirts with John.
(b) She expects nothing from John.
(c) She hits on him a lot.
(d) She gives him food.
10. What kind of relationship do John and Kate seem to have?
(a) John loathes Kate.
(b) A complicated, but open relationship.
(c) They hardly speak.
(d) She secretely loves him.
11. John attributes _ and _ with being a moviegoer.
(a) exile & injustice
(b) malice & loneliness
(c) spirit & drive
(d) exile & loneliness
12. What does John like to read at the library?
(b) Romance novels.
(c) The classics.
(d) Extreme political periodicals.
13. What does John declare to Sharon?
(a) He has issues with his mother.
(b) He misses his Aunt Emily.
(c) That he likes Kate.
(d) His undying love for Sharon.
14. What does Lonnie understand?
(a) His mother's concerns.
(b) Kate's situation.
(c) John is sad about Duval.
(d) John's search for the meaning of life.
15. What indicates a close relationship between John and his aunt?
(a) The secrets she tells John
(b) Their daily phone calls.
(c) Their daily text messages.
(d) Their letters and visits.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, what is revealed as a central theme of the book?
2. What becomes clearer about John's relationship to his mother?
3. Where does John live?
4. What do Kate and John have in common?
5. What usually doesn't last for John?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)