|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Kate think people are "real" with one another?
(a) During times of depression.
(b) When they are the most successful.
(c) During illness, disaster, or death.
(d) When they are the nicest.
2. What does John conceal from Sharon?
(a) That he loves her.
(b) That he has a girlfiend.
(c) That he is stalking her.
(d) The novel he is reading.
3. John attributes _ and _ with being a moviegoer.
(a) spirit & drive
(b) malice & loneliness
(c) exile & loneliness
(d) exile & injustice
4. What time does John wake up?
(a) 3:00 a.m.
(b) 5:00 a.m.
(c) 12:00 p.m.
(d) 12:00 a.m.
5. Why does John lust after Sharon?
(a) She is very beautiful.
(b) She flirts with him all the time.
(c) He is a sex addict.
(d) Her normally lusts after women he hardly knows and cannot communicate with.
6. What does John think about movies?
(a) Wishes he could direct movies.
(b) He thinks that they are amazing, but get the endings wrong.
(c) Hates when others do not appreciate movies.
(d) He is obsessed with movies.
7. What does John declare to Sharon?
(a) His undying love for Sharon.
(b) That he likes Kate.
(c) He has issues with his mother.
(d) He misses his Aunt Emily.
8. To whom is Kate now engaged?
9. What does John like to read at the library?
(a) Romance novels.
(b) Extreme political periodicals.
(c) The classics.
10. When John sees his family is already at the camp, how does he feel?
11. Why does Harold love John?
(a) Because Harold saved John's life.
(b) John saved Harold's life.
(c) John saved Harold's wife's life.
(d) John is really Harold's son.
12. What kind of relationship do John and Kate seem to have?
(a) They hardly speak.
(b) She secretely loves him.
(c) John loathes Kate.
(d) A complicated, but open relationship.
13. How did Lyell die?
(a) In a trolley accident.
(b) In a car accident.
(c) He was mugged.
(d) In a fire.
14. What does Kate doubt?
(a) That Mardi Gars will be fun.
(b) That her mother will leave her personal life alone.
(c) That she will marry Walter.
(d) That John will find a woman to marry.
15. What does John decide to undertake on his bus ride to Elysian Fields?
(a) The possibility of a search for meaning.
(b) Going for pasta for dinner.
(c) Getting ice cream with his family.
(d) Getting a new girlfriend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What community of people does John relate to?
2. About whom is John's aunt concerned?
3. Why are Lonnie and John jealous of Duval?
4. What usually doesn't last for John?
5. Who does John run into after lunch (at the library)?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)