|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John decide to undertake on his bus ride to Elysian Fields?
(a) The possibility of a search for meaning.
(b) Getting a new girlfriend.
(c) Going for pasta for dinner.
(d) Getting ice cream with his family.
2. What does Kate thinks about her therapist?
(a) She is attracted to her.
(b) She does not believe he is truly helping her.
(c) She is very smart.
(d) She is telling Kate's secrets to others.
3. What is Walter too busy with to attend to Kate?
(a) HIs work.
(b) The wedding.
(c) Jazz fest preperations.
(d) A Mardi Gras ball.
4. Why is it interesting that Sharon and John keep the books they are reading a secret from one another?
(a) John really hates to read.
(b) Sharon really wants to read girlie magazines all day.
(c) John is afraid she will judge him.
(d) A lot of personal information can be learned about someone by what they read.
5. Who does John run into after lunch (at the library)?
(a) His Aunt Emily.
(b) His brother, Lonnie.
(c) His cousin's wife, Nell Lovell.
(d) His mother.
6. Why isn't John passionate about the fact that someone saved his life?
(a) Because he cannot determine what to live for.
(b) He is not passionate about anything.
(c) He wanted to die.
(d) He wishes that he could have saved himself.
7. What time does John wake up?
(a) 5:00 a.m.
(b) 3:00 a.m.
(c) 12:00 p.m.
(d) 12:00 a.m.
8. What does John think about movies?
(a) Wishes he could direct movies.
(b) Hates when others do not appreciate movies.
(c) He is obsessed with movies.
(d) He thinks that they are amazing, but get the endings wrong.
9. Where does Walter offer to take Kate?
(a) To the movies.
(b) Out to dinner.
(c) To a Mardi Gras ball.
(d) To a show at the theater.
10. What is John's uncle's name?
(a) Uncle James.
(b) Uncle Jacob.
(c) Uncle Jimmy.
(d) Uncle Jules.
11. How does Kate respond to John's question?
(a) She avoids the question.
(b) She says yes right away.
(c) She asks him another question.
(d) She asks what she should do with her life.
12. What kind of relationship do John and Kate seem to have?
(a) She secretely loves him.
(b) John loathes Kate.
(c) A complicated, but open relationship.
(d) They hardly speak.
13. Why does Harold love John?
(a) Because Harold saved John's life.
(b) John is really Harold's son.
(c) John saved Harold's wife's life.
(d) John saved Harold's life.
14. Why does John frequently go to the movies?
(a) John directs movies and needs creativity.
(b) He very much enoys the movies.
(c) His girlfriend loves movies.
(d) He goes to escape life.
15. What does the reader think about Kate?
(a) She does not seem like a normal woman.
(b) She wants to be with John.
(c) Many men desire her.
(d) She is very beautiful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John think about his mother's family?
2. What usually doesn't last for John?
3. What is Sharon quick to establish before they leave for the trip?
4. Why does John lust after Sharon?
5. What becomes clearer about John's relationship to his mother?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)