|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John's mother say about John?
(a) "You are so like your aunt."
(b) "You are so like your father and yet so different."
(c) "You are nothing like your father."
(d) "You are so much like Lonnie."
2. What important question does John ask Kate?
(a) To marry Walter.
(b) To have an affair with him.
(c) He asks her to marry him.
(d) To go get some coffee.
3. What does Kate doubt?
(a) That her mother will leave her personal life alone.
(b) That she will marry Walter.
(c) That Mardi Gars will be fun.
(d) That John will find a woman to marry.
4. When does Kate think people are "real" with one another?
(a) When they are the most successful.
(b) When they are the nicest.
(c) During times of depression.
(d) During illness, disaster, or death.
5. Where does John suggest they go after swimming?
(a) They go to his mother's fishing camp.
(b) Out to dinner.
(c) Back home to New Orleans.
(d) To a movie.
6. Who is John obsessed with at the beginning of Chapter2?
(a) His mother.
(b) His Aunt Emily.
(c) His secretary, Kate
(d) His pet, Snuffles.
7. To whom was Kate, Jack's cousin, once engaged?
(a) Jimmy Mercer.
(b) Lyell Lovell.
(c) Grant Howard.
8. What becomes clearer about John's relationship to his mother?
(a) He does not have a mother.
(b) He is a "mama's boy."
(c) They hate each other.
(d) It is easygoing, but she does not understand him.
9. What is John's uncle's name?
(a) Uncle Jimmy.
(b) Uncle James.
(c) Uncle Jacob.
(d) Uncle Jules.
10. What kind of relationship do John and Kate seem to have?
(a) John loathes Kate.
(b) She secretely loves him.
(c) A complicated, but open relationship.
(d) They hardly speak.
11. What concerns John on the drive?
(a) That malaise will overtake them.
(b) She will not like him.
(c) He will like her too much.
(d) They will have nothing to talk about.
12. How did Lyell die?
(a) In a car accident.
(b) In a trolley accident.
(c) He was mugged.
(d) In a fire.
13. Where will John have to go on business?
(a) Gulf Coast.
(b) New York City.
14. What do Kate and John have in common?
(a) Their birth cities.
(b) Their outlook on life.
(c) Their hair color.
(d) Their middle nanes.
15. Where does John live?
(c) East New Orleans.
(d) Lake Pontchartrain.
Short Answer Questions
1. When John sees his family is already at the camp, how does he feel?
2. What is Walter too busy with to attend to Kate?
3. Who is John closest to in his family?
4. Why does Harold love John?
5. Why does John lust after Sharon?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)