|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is special about the way Lonnie and John communicate?
(a) They use sign language.
(b) They are psychic.
(c) They communicate beyond words.
(d) They speak pig latin.
2. What does John understand about the plight of this group?
(a) He cannot commeserate with them.
(b) The acceptance they get from other groups.
(c) He thinks they are too privileged.
(d) The persecution they face.
3. What body part is in pain after the accident?
(a) His knee.
(b) His shoulder.
(c) His thigh.
(d) His hand.
4. Where does John talk Sharon into going?
(a) Out of the country.
(b) To Arizona.
(c) To the Gulf Coast.
(d) To Florida.
5. Why does John lust after Sharon?
(a) She flirts with him all the time.
(b) She is very beautiful.
(c) He is a sex addict.
(d) Her normally lusts after women he hardly knows and cannot communicate with.
6. What ails John's brother, Lonnie?
(a) He is autistic.
(b) He is disabled.
(c) He is very depressed.
(d) He is mean.
7. What does the reader think about Kate?
(a) She is very beautiful.
(b) She wants to be with John.
(c) She does not seem like a normal woman.
(d) Many men desire her.
8. Where does John live?
(a) Lake Pontchartrain.
(d) East New Orleans.
9. What ails John?
(a) A queasy stomach.
(c) A woman who broke his heart.
10. What members of the family does John seem to best communicate with?
(a) The ones who encourage him.
(b) People who tell him what to do.
(c) The outer member of the family.
(d) The people who seem interested in him.
11. What does John decide to undertake on his bus ride to Elysian Fields?
(a) Going for pasta for dinner.
(b) Getting a new girlfriend.
(c) Getting ice cream with his family.
(d) The possibility of a search for meaning.
12. What is John's mother unhappy about?
(a) Lonnie is fasting.
(b) She did not want John to come to the fish house.
(c) John's stepfather drinks too much.
(d) John is being mean to his brother.
13. Why isn't John passionate about the fact that someone saved his life?
(a) He is not passionate about anything.
(b) He wishes that he could have saved himself.
(c) Because he cannot determine what to live for.
(d) He wanted to die.
14. What do Kate and John have in common?
(a) Their outlook on life.
(b) Their middle nanes.
(c) Their hair color.
(d) Their birth cities.
15. Why are Lonnie and John jealous of Duval?
(a) He went on a nice vacation.
(b) Their parents love Duval the most.
(c) Duval is very hansome.
(d) He got to die.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does John like Mrs. Schexnaydre?
2. What does Kate admit to John?
3. Where does Walter offer to take Kate?
4. What is Kate fighting against?
5. Why does John frequently go to the movies?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)