|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From whom does John receive a letter?
(a) His mother.
(b) His sister.
(c) His lover.
(d) His aunt.
2. What is Walter too busy with to attend to Kate?
(a) Jazz fest preperations.
(b) A Mardi Gras ball.
(c) HIs work.
(d) The wedding.
3. What happens on the car ride?
(a) They get a long really well.
(b) They get in a car accident.
(c) They stop and eat at a fancy resturant.
(d) They have a fight.
4. When does Kate think people are "real" with one another?
(a) During times of depression.
(b) When they are the most successful.
(c) When they are the nicest.
(d) During illness, disaster, or death.
5. What becomes clearer about John's relationship to his mother?
(a) It is easygoing, but she does not understand him.
(b) They hate each other.
(c) He is a "mama's boy."
(d) He does not have a mother.
6. Where does Walter offer to take Kate?
(a) To a Mardi Gras ball.
(b) To a show at the theater.
(c) Out to dinner.
(d) To the movies.
7. What does feeling "better" mean to Kate?
(a) Going dancing.
(b) Being happy.
(c) Having a good meal.
(d) It feels like she is not on the brink of abyss.
8. Why is the meeting going to be serious?
(a) John usually meets with this person on Sundays.
(b) John usually meets with this person on Wednesdays.
(c) John usually meets with this person on Tuesdays.
(d) John usually meets with this person on Fridays.
9. Why is everyone concerned about Kate?
(a) She is staying out late.
(b) She is hanging around the wrong crowd.
(c) They have found whiskey bottles.
(d) She has not been herself lately.
10. Where does John talk Sharon into going?
(a) To Florida.
(b) To the Gulf Coast.
(c) Out of the country.
(d) To Arizona.
11. What does Kate think about his problems?
(a) That John might be overlooking the most obvious answer to his problems.
(b) John has no problems.
(c) That they are not really problems.
(d) She hates the way John complains.
12. Who did John like to be when he was a child?
13. What is clear about Sharon?
(a) She wants to marry a rich New Orleans man.
(b) She is very smart.
(c) She is after John.
(d) She will not be like other girls from John's past.
14. Why does Aunt Emily keep such a close eye on John?
(a) She wants John to be just like his father.
(b) She wishes John were her son.
(c) She wants John to marry Kate.
(d) She does not want him to become like his father.
15. What do Kate and John have in common?
(a) Their hair color.
(b) Their middle nanes.
(c) Their outlook on life.
(d) Their birth cities.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John like to read at the library?
2. Where does John live?
3. What does Aunt Emily constantly keep her eye on?
4. What does Kate admit to John?
5. What is Sharon quick to establish before they leave for the trip?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)