|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John attributes _ and _ with being a moviegoer.
(a) spirit & drive
(b) exile & injustice
(c) malice & loneliness
(d) exile & loneliness
2. To whom is Kate now engaged?
3. What does John decide to undertake on his bus ride to Elysian Fields?
(a) Getting ice cream with his family.
(b) The possibility of a search for meaning.
(c) Getting a new girlfriend.
(d) Going for pasta for dinner.
4. Why is the meeting going to be serious?
(a) John usually meets with this person on Wednesdays.
(b) John usually meets with this person on Fridays.
(c) John usually meets with this person on Tuesdays.
(d) John usually meets with this person on Sundays.
5. What is John's uncle's name?
(a) Uncle Jimmy.
(b) Uncle Jacob.
(c) Uncle James.
(d) Uncle Jules.
6. Why is it interesting that Sharon and John keep the books they are reading a secret from one another?
(a) A lot of personal information can be learned about someone by what they read.
(b) John is afraid she will judge him.
(c) Sharon really wants to read girlie magazines all day.
(d) John really hates to read.
7. When does Kate think people are "real" with one another?
(a) When they are the nicest.
(b) During illness, disaster, or death.
(c) When they are the most successful.
(d) During times of depression.
8. What kind of relationship do John and Kate seem to have?
(a) A complicated, but open relationship.
(b) She secretely loves him.
(c) John loathes Kate.
(d) They hardly speak.
9. What does Aunt Emily want for John?
(a) She would like him to live with her.
(b) She wants him to find a wife.
(c) She wishes he would break up with his girlfreind.
(d) She wants him to get a better job.
10. What concerns John on the drive?
(a) That malaise will overtake them.
(b) He will like her too much.
(c) She will not like him.
(d) They will have nothing to talk about.
11. What is Kate fighting against?
(a) Becoming a stereotypical woman of society.
(b) People who do not accept society.
(c) Being old and alone.
(d) Getting married.
12. What does Aunt Emily constantly keep her eye on?
(a) John's hair.
(b) John's choices.
(c) Kate's whims.
(d) John's clothes.
13. About whom is John's aunt concerned?
14. Who is John obsessed with at the beginning of Chapter2?
(a) His pet, Snuffles.
(b) His Aunt Emily.
(c) His mother.
(d) His secretary, Kate
15. Why isn't John passionate about the fact that someone saved his life?
(a) He is not passionate about anything.
(b) Because he cannot determine what to live for.
(c) He wanted to die.
(d) He wishes that he could have saved himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kate thinks about her therapist?
2. What is John's nickname?
3. What is Sharon's roommate's name?
4. What does Kate admit to John?
5. Why does John like to read these sorts of books?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)