|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What important question does John ask Kate?
(a) To have an affair with him.
(b) To go get some coffee.
(c) To marry Walter.
(d) He asks her to marry him.
2. What does Aunt Emily constantly keep her eye on?
(a) John's clothes.
(b) John's hair.
(c) Kate's whims.
(d) John's choices.
3. What kind of relationship do John and Kate seem to have?
(a) A complicated, but open relationship.
(b) She secretely loves him.
(c) They hardly speak.
(d) John loathes Kate.
4. What does John like to read at the library?
(b) Extreme political periodicals.
(c) Romance novels.
(d) The classics.
5. What concerns John on the drive?
(a) That malaise will overtake them.
(b) He will like her too much.
(c) They will have nothing to talk about.
(d) She will not like him.
6. What does feeling "better" mean to Kate?
(a) It feels like she is not on the brink of abyss.
(b) Having a good meal.
(c) Going dancing.
(d) Being happy.
7. Where does the family go the following morning?
(a) To play basketball.
(b) The family goes to Catholic mass.
(d) Do artwork.
8. What does Kate admit to John?
(a) She has one the lottery.
(b) She has stollen money.
(c) She is secretely an alcoholic.
(d) She felt freed when her first fiance died.
9. Where does Walter offer to take Kate?
(a) To a Mardi Gras ball.
(b) To the movies.
(c) To a show at the theater.
(d) Out to dinner.
10. Where does John live?
(b) Lake Pontchartrain.
(d) East New Orleans.
11. When John sees his family is already at the camp, how does he feel?
12. What is Sharon's roommate's name?
13. What is John's uncle's name?
(a) Uncle Jules.
(b) Uncle Jacob.
(c) Uncle James.
(d) Uncle Jimmy.
14. How did Lyell die?
(a) He was mugged.
(b) In a car accident.
(c) In a trolley accident.
(d) In a fire.
15. Who does John find at his house at 3:00 a.m.?
(a) Aunt Emily.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John understand about the plight of this group?
2. What does Aunt Emily want for John?
3. What does the reader think about Kate?
4. Why does Sharon hurry from the car?
5. John attributes _ and _ with being a moviegoer.
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)